UVB grow light

I was running a Solarcure Flower Power until I drilled down on some more recent research and discontinued it due to concerns over terpene loss and efficacy. While there are some older studies showing that you need wavelengths down to 285nm to activate the UVR8 protein which is (partially?) responsible for increased THC production some of the more recent studies call into question that conclusion. I identify a couple here. IIRC, all the studies I looked at found enhanced terpene loss with UVB and mixed reviews on THC production - but I was probably baked when I read them. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Thank you for providing links to actual research! :cheers:
On that note, the paper you link second (after the master’s thesis) is not peer reviewed so take their findings with a grain of salt. Also they used the CA LightWorks SolarSystem UVB for 5 Hours straight during their tests!!! IMO that’s showering too much constant UV at any organism as I said in my previous post. There was no control with any shorter time of UV exposure, or comparing splitting UV treatments into multiple 1 hr doses.

Another one of the papers is great, but they blasted their plants for 3.5 hrs. Again, that much time with a focused UV LED light like each group used in their studies is way different that the diffused UV radiation from the sun that varies in intensity with time of day, weather/atmospheric conditions, etc.

In theory UV treatment would actually induce the formation of the trichome cells as a protective layer on the epidermis of the leaves. So just my thought has been doing short UV treatments will cause more trichomes to form (they’re just masses of cells projecting from the epidermis) which are storage sites for the cannabinoids and secondary metabolites. Then as long as you don’t give too much UV such that the plant goes into “UV damage response mode” it will simply go back to producing cannabinoids and terps after turning the UV off.

Enjoying convos like these that get inner cannanerd going!

:smokeout:

The reported terpene loss was most concerning to me. An extra 15% THC doesn't get me excited anyway as I think anything over 20 is largely academic and there is much more involved in the effect than THC. No doubt that intensity and period are important factors, but if UV supplementation was effective I would think the recent studies would consistently confirm it. They don't.

Preach brother. Whenever I am able to connect with a fellow grower in real life I'm a blabbermouth about Canna. Can't shut the F up. :crying:
I agree so much.
I have only two grow buddies to whom I can talk about growing .. It is hard to keep quiet sometimes when other people talk about weed. I try to prentend I know nothing..
But being slightly paranoid is a good think when growing cannbis. :baked:

So the interesting thing between the new researcharticles and the agromax one, timeframe! The agromax uv tube recommends short bursts spread over a few hours.

From the old research and new, I gather that timed bursts through the middle of the lighting period will be most effective. It sounds like the long intense UV exposure almost boils off the terpenes. The controlled exposure is enough to illicit the uv8r response without damaging the more fragile compounds.

Sort of how you can get a tan or a sunburn. You want to tan gently and not take all the radiation at once. It will be very interesting when more studies are done at research institutions.

The controlled exposure is enough to illicit the uv8r response without damaging the more fragile compounds.
Maybe - it's still unclear to me as the exposure times are all over the place. Also, it seems like the positive effects of triggering the UVR8 gene is oversold - at least based on some of the research (and again - these aren't all peer reviewed - I get that). I just don't see any real solid consensus on exposure times, periodicity, and avoidance of terpene loss. IMHO only - I just don't have a comfort level that running UV supplementation wins on the benefit/risk analysis. YMMV of course.

Back