Show Grows 2023 Twenty20 Tier-2 Auto Debut Grow & Show

I was looking into lost coast or the amazing dr zymes but will wait until tomorrow and see what the local hydro store has when it opens. Stock is usually limited, past date, and not what you wanted 😂
If you find them feeding, a strong spray of water will knock them off and it kills them by leaving their mouth parts in the plant.

mid flower
The girls are 8 weeks old (day 56 was yesterday). From left to right: Strawberries & Funk, Strawberry Biscotti, ChicLit, CaliBubba:
setup_20231001.jpg

Here are closeups in the same order:
SF.1_day56.jpg SB.1_day56.jpg
CL.1_day56.jpg CB.1_day56.jpg

Last edited:
Day 60 and I stupidly put clones from outside inside a few weeks ago and infested this tent with aphids. The infestation is pretty heavy and the aphids prefer the lanky branch structure of Chiclit. I got pissed and pulled one of the chiclit today because I wasn’t dealing with all the branches and aphids, probably stupid and I should have stripped the lowers and left the colas. Not sure but worried the aphids might explode and ruin the whole tent tempted to clear cut and call it a loss but it’s only a few weeks to go. I know I should just clear cut and restart in reality as it is a surer way to eradication
View attachment 1635751
Here is the tent
View attachment 1635752View attachment 1635753View attachment 1635754
I’ll add that it is 200 miles round trip to the nearest grow store with an organic certified spray, we will see if I can manage that on a whim
At the stage your plants are in i would of just let them finish with the aphids, how much damage could they really do in a few weeks left until you harvest?

Sucks either way, sorry to hear about your misfortune and hope you recover from the little bastards.

how much damage could they really do in a few weeks left until you harvest?
An unbelievable amount. I actually shared a similar sentiment a few weeks ago when I first noticed them…. before the aphids asexual reproduction proved me naive. I ended up buying a product at my local hydro shop called Flying Skull Nuke’em so we will see, it is OMRI listed but I loath sprays. Beyond the potential for yield reduction the aphids shed their exoskeletons as they grow and the lowers are smothered in the carcasses. Maybe I can do a bud wash to clean them off and any spray residue all at once, but again it would be better to chop and start anew almost. They have also left the honeydew droppings all over the leaves and buds that looks shiny in little spots, this can increase mold later because the honeydew acts as a food source for the mold. It’s a lesson I plan on learning once, hopefully sharing it can help some others to learn from my mistakes so they don’t suffer the same fate

An unbelievable amount. I actually shared a similar sentiment a few weeks ago when I first noticed them…. before the aphids asexual reproduction proved me naive. I ended up buying a product at my local hydro shop called Flying Skull Nuke’em so we will see, it is OMRI listed but I loath sprays. Beyond the potential for yield reduction the aphids shed their exoskeletons as they grow and the lowers are smothered in the carcasses. Maybe I can do a bud wash to clean them off and any spray residue all at once, but again it would be better to chop and start anew almost. They have also left the honeydew droppings all over the leaves and buds that looks shiny in little spots, this can increase mold later because the honeydew acts as a food source for the mold. It’s a lesson I plan on learning once, hopefully sharing it can help some others to learn from my mistakes so they don’t suffer the same fate
Maybe your local garden supply has live ladybugs. If you release a few hundred in the tent they'd make a quick meal of those aphids. They sell 'em online at GardeningZone beneficial Insects but I know you need it ASAP. I've used Castille soap and citric acid on aphids, but if you're in soil the citric might throw off your pH. The citric acid exploded my aphids and turned them to mush, and it's water soluble so rinses off easily. I use food grade citric acid crystals that I got from a home-brew supplier 20 years ago and haven't used it up yet.

Maybe your local garden supply has live ladybugs. If you release a few hundred in the tent they'd make a quick meal of those aphids. They sell 'em online at GardeningZone beneficial Insects but I know you need it ASAP. I've used Castille soap and citric acid on aphids, but if you're in soil the citric might throw off your pH. The citric acid exploded my aphids and turned them to mush, and it's water soluble so rinses off easily. I use food grade citric acid crystals that I got from a home-brew supplier 20 years ago and haven't used it up yet.
Thanks for the advice, apparently the active ingredient in the product I got is citric acid. Looking about this morning and the aphids are largely unaffected by the spray. The pistils all went orange though and the tall ass plants plopped over from the water weight on them. Still counting 60+ living aphids on every fan leaf, they are also on stems and even crawling through the buds(it’s like they don’t stick to trichomes somehow, maybe I’ll smear some aphids on my trimming scissors). You are right to say hundreds of ladybugs would be needed, the scale of the problem grows each day and astounds me. The buds are still getting nice and fat and smell great, maybe make them into hash and smoke that this holiday season and not flower as it’s all personal use anyway. They are hard to photograph but this gives you an idea of the infestation post spray
54DA3369-6804-4117-A993-E6EAE5329FB6.jpeg

Thanks for the advice, apparently the active ingredient in the product I got is citric acid. Looking about this morning and the aphids are largely unaffected by the spray. The pistils all went orange though and the tall ass plants plopped over from the water weight on them. Still counting 60+ living aphids on every fan leaf, they are also on stems and even crawling through the buds(it’s like they don’t stick to trichomes somehow, maybe I’ll smear some aphids on my trimming scissors). You are right to say hundreds of ladybugs would be needed, the scale of the problem grows each day and astounds me. The buds are still getting nice and fat and smell great, maybe make them into hash and smoke that this holiday season and not flower as it’s all personal use anyway. They are hard to photograph but this gives you an idea of the infestation post sprayView attachment 1636131
I was using a teaspon of citric acid crystals and 1/2 teaspoon of Castille soap in a liter of water, so maybe stronger than the commercial spray. A bag of 150 ladybugs is only $4.50, and BOGO so 300 for $4.50, but 2-day shipping is $22.50.

I was using a teaspon of citric acid crystals and 1/2 teaspoon of Castille soap in a liter of water, so maybe stronger than the commercial spray. A bag of 150 ladybugs is only $4.50, and BOGO so 300 for $4.50, but 2-day shipping is $22.50.
Yea I’m a poor stay at home dad so the 20$ for the other spray already ate my disposable funds, plus property taxes are due 😂. I just sprayed the other portion of my spray and if that doesn’t work I’m afraid I’ll likely cut these down and call it quits

Mid flower
Moving along @ day 49. All are looking ok considering the weather these ladies has had to endure. All are showing some sort of deficiency or something but they are still fattening up and smelling good. The Straw Funk and Cali Bubba are the winners so far. These 4 plants are looking the best.

Attachments

• 20231003_154339.jpg
    20231003_154339.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20231003_154643.jpg
    20231003_154643.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231003_154554.jpg
    20231003_154554.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 20231003_154423.jpg
    20231003_154423.jpg