Outdoor trailanimal 2019

sunset yesterday
P1040826.JPG
P1040822.JPG
P1040821.JPG

Tough times in my camp. Six days ago Sharon comes down with appendicitis. We have been living wild and remote so long the idea of going to the "city" with a life threatening situation has no traction. Fear won't drive away how we feel. The logics would be daunting. Boat to Kobuk, medivac to Kotzebue, medivac to Anchorage. She has other issues she has been living with, the docs would want to keep her there. She's been through similar. In 2000 her snogo rolled over her while negotiating side hill overflow ice in the mountains. Coma for 3 days, hospital 3 weeks. Never been the same after that traumatic brain injury. She carried on in good style, compensating well. On her bad days though she would admonish me for saving her. Her near death experience was a pain free place awaiting. And with no money and no current photo IDs, would be tough getting home. Living and dying on the land, always been our shared goal.
Back to the appendix. First night was pretty tough. Flu like symptoms, slight fever, vomiting and diarrhea, ache all over, appendix painfully swollen. Next day in bed, I keep the water coming. Swelling and pain recede some. I'm thinking nutrition without bulk, eating with appendicitis a big no no. Started with a dose of spirulina 4 times daily, in water with a little calcium citrate, magnesium citrate,vit D3 and coconut oil. Pretty sure this will maintain metabolic functioning for a person at rest. Couple of days of this and she is getting hungry. But appendix still painful. So how do I bust her energy without sending solids through and risking a rupture? The river is giving lots to the net right now. Salmon soup! Right from the river into the pot! She drank a lot of this yesterday. Definitely boosted her! This morning I asked her, pain scale of 1-10 ?, she says 4. Liking this, her 10 isa broken collar bone. Today keep doing what we are doing. At the moment she is cooking for me. I always consider myself pretty tough, not as tough as her. I've seen her go some pretty terrible stuff. So, we wait and see, doubling down on our love for one another.

My focus being Sharon I won't be around as much. I'll check alerts daily and try to keep up with the comp

Last edited:
Back