Indoor To scrog or not to scrog. That is the question.

To scrog or not to scrog.

• Single Northern lights x big bud

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Scrog 5 plants

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Just LST a few and don't over crowd it.

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello good people of AFN.

Brand new to indoor hydroponic And for my first grow I went with regular photo period cannabis, and im already thinking about how we should approach the next grow.

I have a 1x1x2m tent. 400 MH/HPS for veg/bloom, and a 5 pot drop system with a large resovioir.

For my first grow, I did a mix of mainlining and topping. Other than taking a long time, I have found that it's VERY cramped, and I actually had to install a net to organise the colas.

IMG_3560.JPG

I have since given them a trim and I'm now 2 weeks into flowering and they are looking nice, but not much light will make it past the screen now so I'll defoliate down there at week 3. Still pretty crowded in there.

This had led me to a question I'm sure you guys who have a few grows under your belt will understand better.

seeing the tent size is 1x1x2m, am I better off giving the whole tent to one of my northern lights X Big Bud auto strains to allow it to grow to max potential? Or should I install a proper scrog (maybe slightly curved) with the 5 pots and go for it.

Some of the information on the auto strains say that they can produce 450grams+ per meter squared indoors in around 10 weeks. That would be nice!!!!

Will a scrog do the same? Will I have better chances of a good harvest with more plants?? Ive read conflicting reports about scrogging autos. Maybe I should just apply LST to a few in there...Ahh I can't decide!!

I've got some great bottles from
Advanced nutrients and I'm looking forward to seeing what auto strains can do!
Any advise welcome. Thanks for your time.
Nuggs.

Last edited:
by picture your gunna have a great harvest they looking nice an happy :) nice grow ! , you can get alot out of 5 autos under a 400hp , but tbh i think you would yield more out of same equivalent wattage led ( say mars 900 or something simular ).
the net youve put over is a great job , i never trim mine or damage them in anyway , i do as your doing an tuck them a few times but i wrap a net rightover and round the sides to try help them stop getting to wide an keep a shape, i try an get them as bushy/ leafy as i can before flowering period starts , i find the bushyness reverts back into the plant to build the flower calyxes up . with a good led , the light reaches much further down through the lower parts of the canopy where the hps dosnt do as good , the hps is only putting out white an green light , the led gives you all 5 colour / spectrums.
by the way ive never used hps im a t5 converted to a led snob now lol . nice grow dude !

Hey Jok81

Thanks for the advise! I have been toying with the idea of LED and have done a bit of research on the Amare and Plantinum range. Both look really good!
Living in Australia, we have just come into summer and I'm experiencing heat/humidity issues. Thinking LED will help a little

I've done a bit of strategic defoliation to help with getting light to the bud sites Im keeping.

As for my auto grow coming up, would you scrog the 5 pots or go with a less crowded approach to the tent and grow 1 or 2?

Cheers mate.
Nuggs

I voted - lst a few
As far as the led's go I just got an Amare. Coolest running light I've ever seen and the amount of light for the watts is unreal with the cobs. This is coming from a Mars owner. From my perspective it has Platinum beat hands down as well.

cheers Coffee Monster!

Which Amare LED did you go with? I was checking out the SE250 which was reccomended by their support. Looks amazing.
My grow partner can't get past secretly wanting to have the veg/bloom option that platinum have.

So you think to just LST a few to keep it from getting over crowded? I was leaning the same way. I feel that less plants = more room to reach potential perhaps.

Thanks for the reply.
Nuggs

I got the Pro 400, killer light but I've got an area a little under 3x6 to cover so it wouldn't match your space well. That se250 would probably do you up real well. I have veg/bloom switches on my Mars, with the spectrum coverage of the Amare and it's separate switches for the monos and the cobs I don't miss the veg/bloom switches a bit!

I say go with your gut on the lst and the light, I think it's steering you right!

Cheers

cheers nuggsgalore ! glad to be of help , what i would do with your auto grow an pot system your using is stagger your grow in 2 segments ::
could plant 3 in 1 side and 2-3 weeks later could put the other 2 in the remaining pots , it would enable you to have 2 grows at the same time under the same light schedule providing you keep your ppms low ....i keep mine around 200-400ppm right the way through grow
i have my grow in 4 segments but im struggling to keep it to a 3 way at min (pic ) my kush fromage auto an six shooter ( bottom left ) are been swallowed up ! t5's are just about getting light to them , the others under mars led .
also the handy thing with the scrog net when wrapped around ,you can move it to help stop the other older bigger half towering over an taking the light away from the later started ones
hope it helps mate .
P1000199.JPG

200-400ppm fed bud pic about 7/12 weeks ,( 4 weeks flower maybe ) shows you dont need to feed them insanley high amounts
P1000200.JPG

Mate! She looks the goods! Very nice.

I'll get into some research about ppm levels and dial it back. I like the idea of staggering the harvest and being able to do some extra gardening every few weeks! Living the dream.

Ive just hit day 16 of bloom with my grow. everything's looking good. Other than a touch of nutrient burn I'm happy. I will ease off a touch at the next water change.

Here a few pics of where I'm at right now.

all the plants have been mainlined with 8 colas each.
IMG_3767.JPG

Beefy arms!
IMG_3770.JPG

Day 16 bloom
IMG_3773.JPG

The only issue I have now is the plant in the back right. We initially started with 4 feminized seeds. The 5th seed was from our "friend" and was planted first before our strains showed up (we were too impatient). So we decided to keep it. Right now, being a long time smoker, first time grower, I can't really tell. The good news is that the plant currently is not covered in seeds.
I know feminized seeds start to flower quickly once you initiate the bloom phase cause they already know what they are, so I'm wondering if this plant just needs more time to make up its mind. Fingers crossed she is a girl!!

What do you think? I just see growth tips and none of the double white hairs.

IMG_3780.PNG

IMG_3776.JPG

All I can say is that it's a sativa. Anyway. Cheers for the tips Legends.

Nuggs.

Just wait for it to show what it is, some patience is needed. Nice lense effect by the way! Keep up!

Back