Live Stoners time for change

hi and welcome :pass: light leakage from pinholes in tents isnt the same issue for autos as it is for photos,autos just dont care.
here is a good spot to start with lots of reviews https://www.autoflower.org/forums/grow-room-component-reviews.457/
good luck n keep er lit.
:pighug:

thanks Archie, you're a gent.
at first I thought i'd buy a set up that would be flexible enough to switch between auto and photos, but honestly, after several months of following journals here (pretty sure you've had journals in every section I've browsed through - good job :nicethread: ) i'm seeing no need to go any way but auto.

cuppa tea matey?:coffee:

much appreciated friend :thanks:

I have only used Vortex fans and Phresh filters over the years and they have been very good to me. Just be sure that the "cfm" is higher on the filter than the fan.
I am currently in the most expensive tent, the Gorilla and prior to that the second most expensive. Do not waste your money on the expensive tents. Zippers are the most consistent problem I've endured bar none and see no reason to buy an expensive tent ever again when I know there will be eventual zipper problems. The Gorilla is absolutely ridiculous with 5, yes 5 zippers in front just to get into tent. Moronic and frustrating!
If you think you will buy a fan controller, take a look at a Variac controller. I have two and they are my favorite growing pieces. Highly incremental. Other than when the weather is warm, I don't have the fan speed faster than 50%.
As to your partners pain, you will definitely want to research 1:1 cbd/thc, 2:1 cbd/thc strains. They will help. I will, in the nearish future, be changing to growing all cbd plants. The 2:1 cbd/thc allows one to go about their business unencumbered. 2:1 cbd/thc is not psychoactive. For bad days and extra sleep/pain help I very much like the Afghan Kush Ryder. You can also buy cbd powder and oil online. It is on expensive side.
For cobs checkout Autocobs at www.cobshop.net. Built by a member. They are great lights for many reasons. Very efficient, bright as the sun, low electrical draw, no noise, small and easy to move around.

thanks for the tips my man.
would you say the Vortex fans are on the right side of quiet? will a Variac controller be essential to running the extraction at optimum performance and run quietly, considering stealth is a must? I see a bit of a trend with extraction being one of the most overlooked components in a new set up, so i'm looking to make sure I get it right!

I was actually looking at the more expensive tents until you guys advised it's not really necessary. main concern for me was supports breaking and visions of the tent collapsing but it seems that was a bigger issue in yesteryears?

for lights, I've already settled on starting with a pre assembled modular system - there's a couple of UK sellers on the bay whom are building the kits ready to hang at very reasonable prices. spec' wise they seem to be spot on. however, I do plan to double the lighting to 8 cobs for flowering (should hopefully coincide with wallet recovery from initial setup!) so perhaps i'll look in to importing from autocob.net at that point.

aye, the missus has gone through a few different CBD oils and they help when the pain flares up. but day to day she's finding the high from the THC, whilst it doesn't particularly target her pain, the head high is a very effective distraction. hopefully we'll come across some strains that do both in one package - will definitely check out the Afghan :thanks:

@Froot n Fuel welcome to AFN brother.
It really all depends on your budget.
There are cheap tents on ebay/amazon for 40 or 50 quid but you do get what you pay for there.
Ive used a lighthouse tent for years now and its still in good nick.
Lights and fan/filter combo are determined by the size of tent you go for

:toke: thanks for the welcome dude

i'm looking at 1.2m squared to begin with - not too big or small, hopefully. i'll be in a typical garden shed, insulated with additional heating in place to keep it cosy enough. height is restricted, but there seems to be a couple of 120x120x180's for around £100 so should work out okay.

:welcome: Hi @Froot n Fuel and welcome to AFN! :welcome:

:jointman: much appreciated friend :jointman:

Hi and welcome to AFN bro. You'll be glad you decided to grow your own smoke :bighug::welcome: the advice and support you'll get on AFN is the best there is. Good luck setting up.. you'll be droppin a few beans in no time I'm sure :cheers::headbang: my only advice would be to stretch as much as you can and buy the best quality equipment that you can from the start.. budget usually dictates!!

hello brother and thank you for the welcome.

definitely looking to make quality purchases to start with - i'm one who thinks if you use quality stuff, only the stoner behind it all can be blamed if it goes wrong! :baked:
was really hoping to get the ball rolling this month with a view to getting some jars filled up for the Christmas period, but time and money hasn't been on my side lately! we will get there though! :jump:

Welcome to AFN

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Welcome! I am with you on growing your own. While I do have quite a few like minded friends it is not easy to come by here. Not only that I don't want to be in a position where I get caught up with law enforcement. I have also found that the smoke is indica dominant and I much prefer a Sativa. So for all those reasons I am quite motivated to do this. Plenty of friendly experienced growers here so I think we are going to be okay.
Good luck!

thanks dude.
what a great feeling it will be having some varied meds to pick from instead of just taking what's being served up at the time. not only that, but actually knowing what you're smoking instead of hoping you've been told correctly. case-in-point; just restocked myself. we tend to buy bigger bits to minimalize cost. last month we got some all around nice amnesia. this time I wanted something a little more indica. purchased some "blue dream" - not really the indica dominant I wanted, but okay. got it home...big, dense and notably greasy nugs...perhaps all is not lost! then it hits me; a big waft of chlorophyll. FFS. closer inspection; even more frustrating is that these buds are actually really nice. smoked it...Blue Dream my ass. it's a cookies strain through and through and was really well grown, but i'm guessing it was dried too fast in this heatwave in the UK and ended up all chlorophyll smelling.

got a really strong jar of hay over here boys, come get it :oops1:

Welcome to AFN! Listen to these folks.....they can and will help you!

:bump:
thanks dude

will a Variac controller be essential to running the extraction at optimum performance and run quietly, considering stealth is a must?
You will want to check out baffles/mufflers available for fans to help with noise. The Variac controller doesn't help with sound levels. There are cheaper controllers that do just "slow medium fast" settings. That's the only choice for those types.
My fan/filter is outside my tent and I have them sitting on two Sorbothane sheets which helps with the vibration part of the noise.

okay so as we get closer to ordering all the big toys (aiming for 1st week of August to finalise purchases and get orders in), the inevitable wave of paranoia is in full swing. hopefully you guys can put my mind at ease about a couple of things;

the past 6 months of planning has been based on growing in a typical garden shed. we decided yesterday to scrap this idea and instead utilise built in wardrobe space indoors - two 60x200x180 spaces available, setting up one side to begin with and expanding to the second in due time. bringing the project indoors has helped relieve a lot of worry and reduced concerns about achieving a good balance of temps and humidity in a shed environment.
we still plan on running on a 4 cob lighting set up (55w actual draw) for each wardrobe, so eventually 8 x 55w @440w total. each wardrobe will require it's own extraction fan and filter combo and regular fans. versus HID lighting it should be rather efficient, but not being well versed enough in electrical units i'm concerned our output could fall under irregular power consumption?
as a side note; we currently are not a very efficient household when it comes to electricity usage. i'm in to home cinema kit and so have a few high powered amps and subwoofers at very inefficient older plasma models etc that I could easily reduce power output from by being a little more savvy with switching things off at the wall. we will also be retiring a large standing freezer unit when the time comes to power the grow, which numbers suggest sucks up 250-300w itself.

understandably there's no definite answer here, obviously it's a risk and i'm not expecting a cuddle from AFN will put me mind at ease 100% - just wondering from those more experienced than myself if i'm [hopefully] just being over cautious?

sincerely,
a worrying froot loop :passit:

my thoughts on the garden shed grow.you only need a twat to break in looking for an electrical item they can sell for £20.....and they steal everything plants stash lights fans an all,but your smallest plant and call the cops.if you live in the arsehole of nowhere then its a fifferent story.
i used to be big into hifi and would never turn anything off,as when the system was cold it sounded cold.
i grow in a built in wardrobe 50x100
irregular power consumption ??? you think power companies will tell police ? nope never gonna happen just pay the bill.
:pighug:

I have a smart meter, that is going to save me £10 a year apparently lol, and my space is barely a blip compared with my other usage. 4 50w cobs a few 15w fans, is not even as much electric as a microwave, hair dryer, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher or kettle etc.

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

I have 1460w of lights alone running 18/6.... :eek1:

They were all started same time as power went on so fingers crossed...

Retiring a 600w after the bottle grow finishes.

Hopefully I'm not viewable from the moon

Later than advertised, I’ll be getting the show on the road in the next couple of weeks - everything gets ordered tomorrow...except the Mephisto order, because it’s already arrived!

:bighug:

Starting off in a single wardrobe - 50x125xtallerthanme. Planning on 3 12L air pots, Plagron Light Mix, under 4 x 55w cobs. Extraction in to attic. A single 20w oscillating fan. Not 100% sure on intake yet, i’d prefer not to hole saw through the built in wardrobe but it’s looking like the only way. :doh:

The line up is the four below, but with room for only 3, one isn’t making the cut for my first run;

Sour Livers
CDLC
Double Grape
Sour Bubbly

I’ve seen some wild Sour Bubbly grows and they can blow up in size like the ’smelloscope, so I think it a safer bet to run the other 3 first.
The dream is a crop n cure early December...hopefully nothing holds me up any more!

Super hyped this is happening after so much planning and research. Doubtful I’d be at this stage feeling somewhat confident without the information offered here on AFN - forever grateful for that.

Best of luck to everyone.

first seed that cracked was the Double Grape! she really was a double...I got twins from my first seed!

also Sour Livers popped through the soil yesterday too, and the CDLC bean cracked around 24 hours after the other two.

what’s the most secure way of posting photos here, friends?

Back