New Grower Suki's Perpetual Grow-a-thon

Day 12 - Biscauto
20220125_203525.jpg

Same deal as above. Super droopy, needs a bigger pot.

View attachment 1411966

Praying hard today, she seems to be really happy in her bigger pot. Not sure if the purple stems on her are an issue, or if this may potentially be early signs of a purple pheno? Don't even know if that's a possibility. I suppose we shall see.
That is why I was wondering whose it was? I have no purple stems on mine.

View attachment 1411958View attachment 1411959

4 weeks old today and tbh I really don't know what to think about this girl. The droop and coloring lead me to believe she must be fairly unhappy, but what it is that is bothering her I really can't tell. I do know I'm not alone in the sad looking solo girl category though, which leads me to believe it may be less something I'm doing wrong and more a symptom of solo growing in general, especially in soil, or perhaps that this particular strain just really is not happy bring grown in a solo. Regardless, she is definitely showing sex now and it will be interesting to see if she does any stretching and if so how much, or if she will stay fairly small.

Is that one of the wedding glues? What do you use for water pH?

View attachment 1411978

At least I've got one happy baby at the moment. This is a big part of why I prefer direct planting to having to transplant, no worrying with having them outgrow their container or any sort of extreme wet/dry cycles.
I am going all transplants next time using 3inch by 8 inch tree bands. Imagine a 32 oz waxed cardboard cream container with the top and bottom chopped off. That way the roots will have plenty of room.

Is that one of the wedding glues? What do you use for water pH?
Yep, seems like most of them have been unhappy in one way or another in the solos. Really wish the one I had tried to pop to run in a regular sized pot would have come up. It would have been nice to be able to compare the two. I did just finish repotting her in her solo after taking about 1cm of root ball off her bottom and sides. Doing it at the start of flower will more than likely dwarf her, but I'm really curious to see if her overall condition improves. It is something I've done in the past with houseplants with a good deal of success when they have become root bound. Basically it tricks the plant into thinking that it has been moved into a larger pot, thus promoting new and healthier growth. We will see what happens. I also took scissors to the ridges of the solo, making triangle shaped cuts on each side to theoretically stimulate air pruning like in an airpot or fabric pot. Her moisture level seemed good, if not a tad extra moist, but I had also just watered her a little while ago. No signs of root rot or any such concerns. Tossed in a few worms while I was at it to hopefully increase the oxygen levels in the cup as well.

Last edited:
IMO BAS is one of the best companies to go with. I actually bought their 70gal take and bake kit on black Friday sale and have been loving it!

View attachment 1411537

These two girls are 7 weeks old and are in a 20 gal of the soil I mixed up with that kit and have been water only up until the last week or so. I've been thrilled with the results so far, especially coming from using FFOF/HF and their bottled nutes before. This was my first time making it through transition with zero issues. The big girl is showing some slight hunger but they are very heavy feeders and she is huge (3' across and has had crazy rapid growth).

I've just recently (within the past week) started adding some KNF inputs to their water and while its too early for me to know for sure how its working for me, I've seen some super impressive KNF grows from some of the more experienced organic growers on here. I will say that now that I've jumped on the living soil bandwagon I'm never going back lol. Researching it can be a little tedious just because of a general information overload, but really once you jump in its pretty simple (way easier than salts) and I think with practice it seems like it will become pretty intuitive. And yes it totally sounds like some mystical culty thing when you first look into it, but I think that's just because once you get going and see how well it works its just super exciting and you want to share it with everyone lol.

It really just comes down to two very different methodologies. With salt nutes, you're feeding the plant directly. With living soil, and using knf inputs, you're feeding the microbiology of the soil in order for those microbes to provide your plants with the nutrition they need, when they need it. The more I learn about soil biology and how plants work on a molecular and systemic level, the more it kinda all just clicks into place.
Thanks for the rep @DCLXVI

Back