Outdoor Soil filled 2x4 tray

Reaction score
Hey guys im wondering if anyone can help me put with this theory. My Hypothesis being using 2'x4'x8" tray filled with media using a plant spacing of 6" and 10"row spacing will this constrict the rootzone enough to trigger flowering at aapproximately 1 foot vertical growth

I am not sure about the early trigger theory with root restriction. I grew a bunch of stone dragons this winter and left them in 16oz cups for 21 days while waiting for sex to show and they stayed small yes, but I didn't see any early flower trigger signs from the root restriction. I figure root restriction started at 10 days, and it took another 11 days to show their sex.
The best thing you can do is research and buy strains that are meant to finish small. The many strains from the portal are very stout and would suit this application well. Good luck!

@arty zan - I know you are into root restriction, and would like to hear your opinions on this.

My thoughts where that autos proceed to flower at plant maturity by disallowing the roots to hit that genetic potential may trigger the hormone release to say hey its time to flower or im going to run out of room and die. I also am aware that this stress could cause some other issues but im willing to backcross a few rounds to make this work better

My thoughts where that autos proceed to flower at plant maturity by disallowing the roots to hit that genetic potential may trigger the hormone release to say hey its time to flower or im going to run out of room and die. I also am aware that this stress could cause some other issues but im willing to backcross a few rounds to make this work better

I have read about the theory for sure. I just haven't experienced it personally.

Ahh breeding your own cool... the stoutest genetics I have seen are the stone dragon and the moonstone line available at the autoflower portal. Hey please tag me if you decide to start a journal on your grow..very interested to see how this works out for you.

As far as I'm aware, autoflowers begin flowering after developing their 5th pair of true leaves, I remember watching a video about a guy testing this theory by preventing the plant from reaching the 5th node by topping over and over and keeping an auto at vegetative stage for like 2 months

As far as I'm aware, autoflowers begin flowering after developing their 5th pair of true leaves, I remember watching a video about a guy testing this theory by preventing the plant from reaching the 5th node by topping over and over and keeping an auto at vegetative stage for like 2 months

Very interesting!! Unfortunately i cant watch vids with our poor internet....too bad I would like to check that out!!

Hey guys im wondering if anyone can help me put with this theory. My Hypothesis being using 2'x4'x8" tray filled with media using a plant spacing of 6" and 10"row spacing will this constrict the rootzone enough to trigger flowering at aapproximately 1 foot vertical growth

That's an interesting question and approach. It may or may not constrict it, I'm thinking. They may all just run out laterally as it's a big 2'x4' container.
Even though you are packing the plants in fairly tight, 2x2 = 4 per sqf, that's NOT the same as just having individual square 6" pots to constrict the roots.

I am not sure about the early trigger theory with root restriction. I grew a bunch of stone dragons this winter and left them in 16oz cups for 21 days while waiting for sex to show and they stayed small yes, but I didn't see any early flower trigger signs from the root restriction. I figure root restriction started at 10 days, and it took another 11 days to show their sex.
The best thing you can do is research and buy strains that are meant to finish small. The many strains from the portal are very stout and would suit this application well. Good luck!

I really agree with @912GreenSkell on this one.
So my main piece of advice would be to research and buy strains that are meant to finish small, and just grow a nice single cola (top bud).
Some nice autos that grow quite short (under normal conditions) and not a lot of branching.

But others will have more experience than I.
:love:

Back