Mephisto Genetics Simoigets SIP grow ..all time favorites of the mephisto variety

any reason for pine specifically? I wonder if the species of tree the bark comes from is important?

I have heard reference to certain tree bark having anti-fungal properties, or anti bacterial? but I don't have anything evidence based for that and I may in fact be out to lunch
You are exactly right, there are many types of bark to avoid. Pine is the safe one to use. I can’t recall which other types are problematic off the top of my head. I believe it’s the more aromatic woods, perhaps cedar.
Bark is like the peels on your veggies, it’s chocked full of vitamins and minerals.
cheers
os

Yup, ceder is not good to use. The way most cedar is process, it will pack too. It will keep away moths, maybe other insects, but I never thought about finding out.

My worm bedding recipe is almost identical to my soil mix. Basically all the same stuff, it only makes sense too me. Plus I don’t need anything special for the worms.
In order to get and keep the soil life banging, you need to have great fungal life. That’s where using bark nuggets comes into play. It’s also a long term carbon source, which is often overlooked. The other thing that’s nice about having a decent amount of bark in the mix is this. When you top dress my mix of vermicompost and water it in. The castings quickly work their way down into the soil, leaving a nice layer of bark nuggets on top as mulch. In other words it’s a self mulching top dress. Subsequent top dresses just go over the top and the process continues leaving a thicker mulch every time. The bark being partially broken down in the bins, and fully inoculated makes the best mulch.
Another thing I do out of need, due to long winters, is fill totes with either leafmold or compost, and bring them inside before winter to serve as food stocks for building bedding till spring. My piles outside turn to frozen bricks in October. In these totes I often add some extras that are nice to have but not needed. I like to add fish meal or soybean meal, or alfalfa meal to these. The native worms that hitch a ride in these totes start working the bedding ingredients before I even make a bedding mix. It’s pretty slick.
I have run a lot of tote bins over the years. They work good but it’s more challenging to get consistent finished product. Often the bottom will be either over or under worked depending on which type of worms are used. I will pass on this trick for running totes. Start with 4” of bedding. At a month or whatever interval, add two more inches of bedding mix. And so on. It makes way better more uniform castings-top to bottom than just filling a tote pretty full, and burying food on a regular schedule.
cheers
os
When you are talking about bringing the leaf mould indside for the winter, I am curious if you ever get slugs coming in with the leaf mould

I used leaf mould in my current worm bin as part of the bedding and I randomly find slugs in the bin that I assume are hatching from eggs that were in the leaf mould

When you are talking about bringing the leaf mould indside for the winter, I am curious if you ever get slugs coming in with the leaf mould

I used leaf mould in my current worm bin as part of the bedding and I randomly find slugs in the bin that I assume are hatching from eggs that were in the leaf mould
Never a slug, but lots and lots of composting worms. Up here, the slugs tend to hang out on the still green growth. I don’t ever see them in leaf mold or compost piles. There are a shit ton of slugs around here. They are the nemesis of my outdoor gardens if I slack off.
cheers
os

Day 51 today

@Organic Sinse your advice on top dressing weekly with the castings and bone meal seems to be helping and I have not seen much progression of the cal deficiency

The plants are filling out pretty good and kind of on cruise control for the moment...starting to think ahead to the next run allready.as much as it pains me I am thinking about starting over with a new soil build.still not sure but I may end up doing that just to have a better baseline

I have learned alot since I built my current soil and I feel like I could tweak a few things

@Organic Sinse if you want to share your soil mix sometime I'd love to hear it!

Day 51 pics below

Tent shot

20210523_092444.jpg

Sam og

20210523_092407.jpg

20210523_092513.jpg

Lower nug..these will be dense buds and hopefully as terpy and tasty as the last one I grew!

20210523_093745.jpg

Can see the cal deficiency here..but no real progression since top dressing

20210523_093802.jpg

Day 51 today

@Organic Sinse your advice on top dressing weekly with the castings and bone meal seems to be helping and I have not seen much progression of the cal deficiency

The plants are filling out pretty good and kind of on cruise control for the moment...starting to think ahead to the next run allready.as much as it pains me I am thinking about starting over with a new soil build.still not sure but I may end up doing that just to have a better baseline

I have learned alot since I built my current soil and I feel like I could tweak a few things

@Organic Sinse if you want to share your soil mix sometime I'd love to hear it!

Day 51 pics below

Tent shot

View attachment 1321730

Sam og

View attachment 1321731
View attachment 1321732

Lower nug..these will be dense buds and hopefully as terpy and tasty as the last one I grew!

View attachment 1321733

Can see the cal deficiency here..but no real progression since top dressing

View attachment 1321734
Gladly, Im happy to share. Good to see things turning around. I like the easy fixes. You are one of just a few people that share similar water quality, that makes it easy. When I get back from the Bush, i will post my recipe here.
Cheers
Os

Here are some day 56 shots things are getting filled in and coming around pretty good

I dont think it will be any where near my best yield for the tent but it will be sticky and stinky

20210528_200256.jpg
20210528_162657.jpg
20210528_162704.jpg
20210528_162709.jpg
20210528_200218.jpg
20210528_200309.jpg

20210528_162810.jpg

Attachments

• 20210528_162634.jpg
    20210528_162634.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
Day 62...wow! already?? Where does the time go?

Plants are filling in nicely and smelling v. Good. Overall I am pretty happy with how this grow is turning out.

The sam og looks awesome.this is the 2nd sam og plant I have grown out and this one definetly has the same bushy structure as the last one but the buds are considerably bigger. I just hope it finishes with the same awesome Terps as the last one. The last sam og I grew (which I am still currently smoking on) is my favorite mephisto plant I've grown to date. The flavour and smell/taste is superb.

20210602_125550.jpg

20210602_125526.jpg

20210602_125535.jpg

The calcium deficiency that has plagued me in my past sip grows has been much better and I attribute that to the addition of a couple new to me amendments and to the advice of @Organic Sinse to use weekly top dresses of ewc and bone meal. That being said I still have room for improvement in this area. For my next grow I want to increase the soil capacity of my homemade SIps, my current one is aprox. 7 gallons of soil and I would like to double that to 15 ish gallons

I also need to be proactive with top dressing.my previous grows I would only top dress twice, once at day 30 and once at day 50.I just dont think I was keeping up with the plants demands especially with the explosive growth and big plants that occur with sip containers.my next grow I will try weekly top dressing as recommended by @Organic Sinse. Hopefully this will work as a preventative against the ca deficiency that has plagued me.

The other 2 plants in the tent are the double grape and a forgotten cookies. The double grape has been a bit of a disappointment but it has actually come around not too bad the last while. I will probably wash most of the plant for hash..the buds look like good quality just a little airy and small

20210602_125727.jpg

The forgotten cookies has been a small plant especially compared to all the other SIP plants I've grown..I think I may have been running the temps a touch too low in early veg and while it stayed healthy, growth just stalled. However the nugs that are on the plant are really bulking up nicely and will be heavy.

20210602_125646.jpg

20210528_200218.jpg

Day 62 today and I am thinking we will be harvesting in +/- 2 weeks

Plants are filling in nicely and smelling v. Good. Overall I am pretty happy with how this grow is turning out.

The sam og looks awesome.this is the 2nd sam og plant I have grown out and this one definetly has the same bushy structure as the last one but the buds are considerably bigger. I just hope it finishes with the same awesome Terps as the last one. The last sam og I grew (which I am still currently smoking on) is my favorite mephisto plant I've grown to date. The flavour and smell/taste is superb.

View attachment 1326153

View attachment 1326155

View attachment 1326157

The calcium deficiency that has plagued me in my past sip grows has been much better and I attribute that to the addition of a couple new to me amendments and to the advice of @Organic Sinse to use weekly top dresses of ewc and bone meal. That being said I still have room for improvement in this area. For my next grow I want to increase the soil capacity of my homemade SIps, my current one is aprox. 7 gallons of soil and I would like to double that to 15 ish gallons

I also need to be proactive with top dressing.my previous grows I would only top dress twice, once at day 30 and once at day 50.I just dont think I was keeping up with the plants demands especially with the explosive growth and big plants that occur with sip containers.my next grow I will try weekly top dressing as recommended by @Organic Sinse. Hopefully this will work as a preventative against the ca deficiency that has plagued me.

The other 2 plants in the tent are the double grape and a forgotten cookies. The double grape has been a bit of a disappointment but it has actually come around not too bad the last while. I will probably wash most of the plant for hash..the buds look like good quality just a little airy and small

View attachment 1326159

The forgotten cookies has been a small plant especially compared to all the other SIP plants I've grown..I think I may have been running the temps a touch too low in early veg and while it stayed healthy, growth just stalled. However the nugs that are on the plant are really bulking up nicely and will be heavy.

View attachment 1326158

View attachment 1326160

If you make bigger boxes, I would suggest keeping water rez to around 2 gallons. I had scaled mine up so the rez was around 5 gallons. My water was getting rancid cause they only needed 1-2 gal at a time and old stuff was hanging around. Plus your fresh nutes get watered down.

View attachment 1326153

View attachment 1326155

View attachment 1326157

View attachment 1326159

View attachment 1326158

View attachment 1326160

Glad it’s working out better. The DG and FC will fatten up more before finish. That last two weeks they really fill in. The DG buds always look pointy, and the FC buds get fat and roundish.
Here is a link to a thread on another forum. Post #1 shows how I build my sips. The 10 gals are my go to unit. They can be done in 15 and 20’s, common sizes seem to fit together pretty well. https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/automatics-make-good-organic-sinse.1477069/
cheers
os

Back