DIY Rifleman's XL DWC Monster Maker

Rifleman

Unemployable Pothead
Reaction score
I have had some inquiries about having a video or other documentation about dwc on the cheap so I thought I'd share this with the AFN family. This is my 27 gallon tote dwc that I pieced together last fall. Total cost was less than $100US, and could have been less but I over spent on the pump and airpot.

1. Heavy duty 27 gal tote from home improvement store, on sale $8
20151117_095315-1.jpg

2. Drill holes for air inlet. Place as low as possible. These aren't low enough. It takes eight gallons before they are under water.
20151117_095328-1.jpg

3. Insert grommets and elbows for air inlet/level indicator.
20151117_104250-1.jpg

4. Mark lid for cutting. This is for a 10" basket, but you could do a six inch...or two,
maybe several four inch. Whatever you decide.
20151117_104946-1.jpg

5. Cut the hole for the basket(s).
20151117_105345-1.jpg

6. Paint the lid with a dark spray primer for plastic. We are light proofing it. Cut four inch
holes with a hole saw for hand and eyeball access later on.
20151117_130735-1.jpg

7. It should look close to this.
20151117_130743-1.jpg

8. Drill a hole large enough at the top of the airpot for the drip ring to fit through. An airpot is
NOT necessary. You can use just a basket as shown above, but I am going for an XL plant.
20160102_133808-1.jpg

9. Yeppers that's a hole.
20160102_133818-1.jpg

10. Attach the air inlet hoses and graduate the levels, one gallon at a time.
20160105_100636-1.jpg

11. Drill out the side lip for the electric cord pass thru.
20160105_100708-1.jpg

12. All major components. Notice the primered lid has now been painted over with Kilz to further light proof it and reflect light upwards.
20160105_100627-1.jpg

13. Put together.
20160104_125021-1.jpg

I didn't document the pvc drip ring, I assume that is self explanatory. A couple of timers and this is a fully automated top fed dwc that you can leave for a few days without worry of running dry, which was a big concern in my five gallon buckets. If you have any questions on how exactly to do a step or how this works, feel free to pm me. I'll be more than happy to help. :shooty:

Wow! That's great! Gives me something to think about for sure!!
Nice work!!

Ok now my big question is water and nutrients... I'm guessing water needs to be up to the level of the pot/bucket at a minimum and do you need specific nutes for DWC or will Tangs easy feed schedule work here too?
Or just tell me to not be so damn lazy and Google it myself...lol

Ok now my big question is water and nutrients... I'm guessing water needs to be up to the level of the pot/bucket at a minimum and do you need specific nutes for DWC or will Tangs easy feed schedule work here too?
Or just tell me to not be so damn lazy and Google it myself...lol

When I'm using the five gallon buckets I keep the level at four gallons...when it gets a gallon low I add more. I use markings on the air supply tubes to measure this. Using the 27 gallon tote for the first time right now. I started at 20 gallons, and add back five gallons when needed.

The feed on these two autos is really mild. Currently I start with 15L/4Gal of tap water that has sat to evap for a few days.
That gets the following; 20ml cal-mag, and 15ml each of M,G,B, B52, Big Bud, Bud Candy, Rhino Skin, Bud Factor X, and Sensizym. When I replace a gallon it has 3ml of each item except cal-mag. I use 6ml of it in replacement water...when using LEDs and if I see a def, otherwise just 3 of it also.

This is just how I've adapted the AN schedule and products to fit my needs. It is always a work in progress, and varies with each grow and strain. :shooty:

EDIT: Yep I know that is 1ml/L feed....cuttings and seedlings suggested feed level...don't hate, I'm cheap and curious. :smoking:

Seriously how tough is it to grow using DWC? This coming from a guy who has roughly 3 grows total and all using soil.

It's a royal PITA if you chase pH. Investing in good pH buffered nutrients makes it much easier. I haven't checked anything other than ppm in months. Otherwise it's a piece of cake.

What's a decent ppm meter? Or is that what you use to check it?

Back