Grow Mediums Rez on from germ . . . The grow

Reaction score
Trying something different here for a new grow. Having the rez on from germination, and never top watering. Trying for a more hands off and low stress grow, for me and the plant.

Set up is autopot xl 5 gal fabric pots. Mega Crop v3 1 part(new unopened) and bud explosion, Flying Skull Z7, Blue planet root magic myco. And that's it.

Media is fox farm cultivation nation 70/30 coco. Added perlite to roughly a 50/50 ratio. No pre treatment, straight from bag. Heavy dose of root magic myco mixed in as well. This will be the only time myco is added. Never used the fox farm stuff, supposed to be pre buffered. I figure whats the point in buying bag coco instead of bricks if you gotta do the same amount of work pretreating it.

Seeds are ILGM Auto White Widow.

Rez was filled with 4 gallon ro water, mega crop added to .6ec (all nutrient doses will be in ec), ph 5.8, full dose of z7.

Turned on system may 27th, seeds dropped in shot glass of ro water to sprout. The pots soaked up 3 trays worth inside 15 minutes, and prolly 1 1/2gal over night.

20210528_191732.jpg

May 29th, both seeds sprouted, planted into pots with a sprinkle of myco and sprayed (notice sprayed, as in spray bottle, not poured) with a few hits of water from rez. Enough to wet the surface a little but not soak and thus compress the coco. Covered with humidity domes, tent turned on and away we go.

20210529_181356.jpg

20210529_201128.jpg

Next post will either be we have sprouts, or things went sideways. We'll see.

Trying something different here for a new grow. Having the rez on from germination, and never top watering. Trying for a more hands off and low stress grow, for me and the plant.

Set up is autopot xl 5 gal fabric pots. Mega Crop v3 1 part(new unopened) and bud explosion, Flying Skull Z7, Blue planet root magic myco. And that's it.

Media is fox farm cultivation nation 70/30 coco. Added perlite to roughly a 50/50 ratio. No pre treatment, straight from bag. Heavy dose of root magic myco mixed in as well. This will be the only time myco is added. Never used the fox farm stuff, supposed to be pre buffered. I figure whats the point in buying bag coco instead of bricks if you gotta do the same amount of work pretreating it.

Seeds are ILGM Auto White Widow.

Rez was filled with 4 gallon ro water, mega crop added to .6ec (all nutrient doses will be in ec), ph 5.8, full dose of z7.

Turned on system may 27th, seeds dropped in shot glass of ro water to sprout. The pots soaked up 3 trays worth inside 15 minutes, and prolly 1 1/2gal over night.

View attachment 1324213

May 29th, both seeds sprouted, planted into pots with a sprinkle of myco and sprayed (notice sprayed, as in spray bottle, not poured) with a few hits of water from rez. Enough to wet the surface a little but not soak and thus compress the coco. Covered with humidity domes, tent turned on and away we go.

View attachment 1324214
View attachment 1324215

Next post will either be we have sprouts, or things went sideways. We'll see.
I enjoy experimentation---wish you luck and have fun with it.

May 31st, first hurdle passed. 2 for 2 on seeds sprouting. Actually started happening last night, strangely fast, but we'll call today day 1.

20210531_150556.jpg
20210531_150637.jpg

Rez: 0.6ec, 5.8ph. See how the first week goes. Have one of those c02 "enhancers" to try, might use it for the first 2 weeks. As that's how long one apparently lasts. Couldn't hurt.

I'd like to see how this goes. I've been using autopots for 4yrs now but always have started top watering for the first 21 days. I've only
once turned the res on at day 15 but I had plants that were pretty big for that age.

Well week one has come and gone. Only thing done was a rez change with a up in ec. Overall not great, but not terrible. Plants definitely suffered heat stress. My fault entirely. In an attempt to retain the added co2 from the "enhancer" I was using I set the fan the maintain a set humidity, instead of just having it on full time. This led to temps of 80-84. Once corrected they've bounced back, atleast the one. Thinking the small one might be stunted to badly.

Only other thing I notice is the healthier plant is definitely hungry and wants a higher ec. Currently at 0.7ec. So far tho this does lead me to believe having the rez on from the get go is possible.

20210608_192608.jpg
20210608_192605.jpg
20210608_192116.jpg
20210608_192059.jpg

Currently at 0.7ec, 5.8ph.

With these lessons in mind I've fired up the other tent and starting two new seeds. My tents are exact clones. I do this to run perpetual, chopping and starting a new grow every 4-5 weeks. This time tho no added c02, fan on full time, and starting at 1.0ec. Next update in a week.

Feel free to ask questions, I do pop in occasionally during the week to read comments.

I should of worded my statement about starting new seeds differently.. I am starting two new seeds, but I am not culling these. These two will continue to grow, well, definitely the healthier one, undecided on the runt. This grow will continue.

I am simply applying what lessons I've learned so far to a new grow in my other tent. I will post on that one along side occasionally. With the positive results so far, I feel that with a few minor tweaks this will be the perfect grow style for me.

My overall goals with growing are,
1. Quality over quantity, I'm not looking to push numbers. I'll happily sacrifice an a couple ounces for higher quality.
2. Plant health, ties into 1. I want a happy healthy plant start to finish, without chasing nutrient or ph issues.
3. Ease of grow, ties into 1 and 2. I'm a busy person, that's why I got an autopot. Just need to maximize its inherent benefits.

With all that said, the two new seeds have popped, and will be planted tonight. Only changes from first grow is I'm starting at 1.0ec.

Day late on the update, but plants are doing fine at the 2 week mark. Only issue is they're hungry, still lighter green than I like. Just bumped up to 0.8ec on last rez refill. Need to get them up to 1.0ec, but don't like to raise it two fast.

Even the runt has bounced back, but is definitely behind. Just goes to show how important the first couple weeks are.

20210615_233325.jpg
20210614_221300.jpg

I leave it up to guys as to weather the experiment was a success or not. For me personally, I wont be going back to top watering. Don't see the need for it after this.

Bit of feedback tho would be nice to hear. Curious what you guys think.

Will be peeking in on this. Fixing to order some and only thing that was downside was the top watering bit.

Cool, looks good so far. I am 62 days in on my first plant in an Autopot. I have three and am ordering one more today.

These things will make it so I don't have to ask someone to water fo me if I want to leave for a few days!!!

Back