Nutrients Re-purposed old aquarium stuff (Any chemists?)

Idiot-sativant

Oooh (inhale) Ahhh
Reaction score
Before I realized I could grow cannabis, I aspired to be a very amateur Aquatic Horticulturalist so my aquariums could have that flowing natural beauty to them as schools of fish flutter by. Over the years I collected many odds and ends but I do think I have found a new life for some of them in the Cannabis Age!

1) Seachem Prime - Removes chlorine, chloramine and detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

I have used this the past 6 watering’s and it seems to be working. The last 3 times I took direct tap water(not waiting for gas off of chlorine), added prime and PH Down, and watered my babies!

So far so good!

Bucket: 1 Gallon (3.8l)
Water: Ph 8.5
After Ph Down: 6.5
Seachum Prime: 1ml (or one full squeeze from amber dropper bottle pipette to make life easier)

Any conflicting experiences?

Anyone want to test it with me?

2) Dry Fertilizer

I have the following dry nutrients I used to add to my aquarium to create beautiful landscapes from delicate mosses to hardy plants:

KH2PO4 - Mono potassium
K2SO4 - Potassium sulfate
KNO3 - Potassium nitrate
Trace elements

The problem I hope someone could help me solve is how to make these useful for a cannabis grower.

In my aquarium I would use: 1/32 tsp KH2PO4, 1/32 tsp K2SO4, 1/8 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp Trace Elements, but that is an environment for fish with balanced organic life helping to dirty/clean the tank. Perhaps I am thinking about this the wrong way?

My chemistry skills are lacking so I don't know how to turn it into a usable soil fertilizer, any help would be appreciated.

I think the nutes for fish tanks are just too weak you would have to use a lot

I do have a lot of the dry powders sitting in a box, it might still be worth it.
What would indicate the strength/weakness of dry fertilizers? I assumed strength would be determined by N-K-P?

I don't know how to figure out, for example, 3-1-1 starting from the listed dry powders above. Maybe some lucky aquarium hobbyist will get a nice gift from me if I can't get it to work with the help of the AFN community. The Searchem Prime, I'm happy to say, continues to not have a noticeable effect on my plants health.

Are you not keeping fish anymore? I currently have a 125 gallon discus tank set up. I've kicked around the idea of using the wastewater from my tank to water my plants just never got around to it yet.

All that's left is a small tank I maintain for my kids when they visit with the typical guppies and rescue fish.
All the 4ft + tanks with schools of 20 Odessa Barbs, breeding pairs of Kribensis, and specialized Cichlid tanks where sold off in divorce. Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society website was a great resource when I was active a few years ago.

I am interested to see what would happen with the water runoff from a large stable tank! Combining both hobbies into a super hobby, you're tempting me haha.

Back