Quick question about carbon filter and fan cfm

Reaction score
I'm buying a 5x5x7 tent. So it's only 175 sqft but I want a strong fan and carbon filter because I'm in an apartment.
I'm looking at this filter and this fan

I know it is ok if the carbon filter has a higher cfm than the fan but wasnt sure how far that difference should be.
The filter is 550 cfm and the fan is 400cfm
I was also wondering if anybody suggests I put an intake fan on the other side of the tent on the bottom and if the cfm for that fan would be significantly lower than the exhaust fan and carbon filter.

Is there any downside besides price to using an 8" fan and filter in this size tent?
Any input is really appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm buying a 5x5x7 tent. So it's only 175 sqft but I want a strong fan and carbon filter because I'm in an apartment.
I'm looking at this filter and this fan

I know it is ok if the carbon filter has a higher cfm than the fan but wasnt sure how far that difference should be.
I was also wondering if anybody suggests I put an intake fan on the other side of the tent on the bottom and if the cfm for that fan would be significantly lower than the exhaust fan and carbon filter.

Is there any downside besides price to using an 8" fan and filter in this size tent?
Any input is really appreciated. Thank you.
I personally run a 6in in 2x4 mostly bc I can use lowest setting and it's super quiet but that would work well up to 4x4 @ 5x5 I would personally go with the 8in for u can always turn it up but if u get something that's almost maxed out if u get a heat wave or super stinky strain you your covered the bigger surface area carbon filter the better regardless of opening size look to see wat it's rated for chm wise phresh/Mountain Air are great aswell as others

Mainly you don't want the carbon filter to have less cfm than the fan. You start losing efficiency. Filter won't last as long. I am running about the same cfm as you are.
Were I in a 5x5 tent I would use an 8" fan/filter. I like to have wiggle room, especially for the warm days.

Add: You should think about getting an air purifier to help control odor, especially during harvest. Mine does a great job .

Last edited:
I personally run a 6in in 2x4 mostly bc I can use lowest setting and it's super quiet but that would work well up to 4x4 @ 5x5 I would personally go with the 8in for u can always turn it up but if u get something that's almost maxed out if u get a heat wave or super stinky strain you your covered the bigger surface area carbon filter the better regardless of opening size look to see wat it's rated for chm wise phresh/Mountain Air are great aswell as others
Dude thank you. I see 6" would have definitely been too weak. It's 100 degrees where I live so 8" makes sense. What do you think about this fan and filter ?

Mainly you don't want the carbon filter to have less cfm than the fan. You start losing efficiency. Filter won't last as long. I am running about the same cfm as you are.

Were I in a 5x5 tent I would use an 8" fan/filter. I like to have wiggle room, especially for the warm days.

Add: You should think about getting an air purifier to help control odor, especially during harvest. Mine does a great job .
Thanks for the reply. What do you think about the fan and filter I linked above? Good idea, I will definitely get an air purifier, what brand or model are you using?

Thanks for the reply. What do you think about the fan and filter I linked above? Good idea, I will definitely get an air purifier, what brand or model are you using?
That is the carbon filter that I have been using for years and like it immensely. The fan I don't know about other than some growers in here like that model.

The air purifier I use in my tent room is the Honeywell Air Genius 5.

That is the carbon filter that I have been using for years and like it immensely. The fan I don't know about other than some growers in here like that model.

The air purifier I use in my tent room is the Honeywell Air Genius 5.
Great, thank you

Back