Proper PH of Coco/Soil blend?

Cerebral Goo

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I'm growing in a mix of Canna Coco mixed with 30% perlite and then that is mixed 65/35 with Roots Organic original potting soil. Was told and/or read somewhere that I would have to water/feed less but still get some of the advantages of coco. I have a busy schedule at the moment so the coco/soil blend seemed appealing to start with. Will be switching to Coco/Coast of Maine mix or just straight coco next time depending on results. Should have done more research before starting!

My question is, since I have mixed in soil to the coco, if my Ph would need to be a little higher? It seems that proper coco ph is around 5.8-6.2 and soil is higher...I have been water/feeding at 5.8-6.1. Roots Organic recommends 5.5 to 6.5 which is a WIDE range. Looking for a figure that would be optimal.

Anyone else using a coco/soil mix?

Thanks for any info and hope that you have such a good day you'll be whistling zippity do da out of your asses!!!

Hey there, as far as I know coco and soil blends don't work great. I just ran a plant in royal gold basement mix. You have to treat coco and soil differently and there are separate nutrient lines available for both. There are some that work in soil or coco but, generally the watering and type of watering are different as well.

Which one tho; Natural, Pro Plus or Brick? As they are all buffered differently.

Which one tho; Natural, Pro Plus or Brick? As they are all buffered differently.

Sorry, noob omission! Canna Coco brick that I rehydrated with 5.8 ph water,let almost dry, flushed again with Venerate from Marrone to Ipm the soil at 5.8, let almost dry again, and soaked through with 3ml per gallon cal/mag and 2ml per gallon Tribus at 5.9. Waited 15 hours and planted the germinating seed with 1/4" tail. Didn't add any other nutes as I assumed that the nutes in the Roots Organic soil would be more than enough till they through the first week, but thats another topic...

Hey there, as far as I know coco and soil blends don't work great. I just ran a plant in royal gold basement mix. You have to treat coco and soil differently and there are separate nutrient lines available for both. There are some that work in soil or coco but, generally the watering and type of watering are different as well.

Thanks for the info! Pretty much stuck with what's in there now. Lack of knowledge and not enough time to research properly. Have seen some monsters grown in coco/soil blend. I was looking at it from a time perspective since I'm friggin swamped with work for the foreseeable future. We'll see what happens! Plants look good at the moment...being pretty much a noob, looking to optimize anything I can.

Thanks again!!!

If you can, pick up a product called SensiZyme by Advanced Nutrients or just plain Zyme by Dyna Gro. It will help keep stuff from building up in the coco "trapped" in your soil. I started using SensiZyme too late but recovered decently. I've not seen a grow on here go well with a blend but I'm sure there are people who have it dialed.

I think 2ml/Litre on the SensiZyme once you hit flowering and you should be ok. If you find it locally check the expiration date as well.

If you can, pick up a product called SensiZyme by Advanced Nutrients or just plain Zyme by Dyna Gro. It will help keep stuff from building up in the coco "trapped" in your soil. I started using SensiZyme too late but recovered decently. I've not seen a grow on here go well with a blend but I'm sure there are people who have it dialed.

I think 2ml/Litre on the SensiZyme once you hit flowering and you should be ok. If you find it locally check the expiration date as well.

Thanks for the info!!! Will definitely check it out

Back