Grow Mediums Pre-DWC Q&A | Gathering of materials and knowledge

Reaction score
Hey guys, I feel successful with a coco and autopot grow with a 60 Day Wonder bean and gathering materials for a DWC grow. Here's a list of goods I have ordered thru eBay so far and recieved or still waiting on:

2x 3.5 gallon "Black Widow" dwc buckets by Modular Hydroponics. I chose 3.5 gallon for my first grow so I'm using less nutes and realize I may need to watch ph and water levels more carefully. With success I'll get the 5 gallon version. These have a "black widow" air ring which I hope will produce more smaller bubbles. It also has the 6 inch net pot, not sure if I will need to do the same amount of staking of branches so maybe a 10 inch netpot will be better next time.

4.5 liter per minute air pump with dual outlets. Is this adequate or do I need a more powerful one? One outlet will drive the air ring, the other will drive the top drip feed modification.

Top drip feed ring modification for the hydrofarm system. It's a kit that has a water level hose (the black widow bucket doesn't have a water level indicator hose). It also has a top drip feed ring that you can use to modify the net pot to top drip water on the seedling to get roots down faster.

Growstones instead of clay pebbles.

PH and temp monitoring instrument. It's a mini LCD temp and ph gauge with remote probes that go into the res.

Mini aquarium chiller, good for a 20l aquarium to keep the res cool. Only cost $125 bucks in ebay, hoping it will keep the res under 70 degrees while outside ambient temps can be in the upper 70's.

Advance nutrients ph perfect grow/bloom and hobbiest bundle.

Ecotestr ph meter and hm ec80 ppm meter.

Various strains to choose from, which one should I choose for this grow? My logic is to use a very tolerant and cheaper seed to test with first before using a dutch passion bean. Choices include:

60 day wonder
Auto Jack 47
Sweet seeds super skunk #1
DP auto blueberry
DP Think Different
DP auto mazar
DP skyryder

Which one should I use for this first-round?

What should I do to best prepare for this grow? More updates to follow, not surebif I should make this my official grow journal or not.

buckets sound fine bud .

airpump could be better for sure ....i recommend getting another more powerful model

everything else sounds good .

Id go with DP AM or TD as there tough & have been grown a lot in DWC here .

gather all the info you can here & then start your journal when your ready .

clean your media (stones) & soak in 5.6 water prior to grow if needed ?.

de-chlorinate your water out of the tap for 24hrs before use & bubble as well if poss.

post any & all Q's here & research as much as you can ....check seymour buds journals :Sharing One:

Back