DIY Please help with choosing an Air Purifier for collecting smoke/tar

How about using a sploof?
Thanks for the suggestion but i'm not interested in sploofs and smoke-buddies, as i want to smoke freely, like the guy in the video i posted next to an air purifier. That is what i will probably get, it seems perfect for my needs.

And as far as i know, sploofs only remove the smell through a charcoal filter, but the smoke still goes through them. I'm not worried about the smell, i just don't want smoke and tar in the room, yellowing the furniture and clogging the AC unit. I found out that HEPA filter is suitable.
And also while the cigarette or joint is burning in the ashtray, that smoke is still going up and spreading in the room, and sploof is only for exhaling through.

Around my way a sploof is either a paper towel tube or a toilet paper tube filled with dryer sheets. And they do really work well to mask the smell. You'll end up with a smokey room that totally smells like laundry . Change the dryer sheets when brown... :crying:

Does it collect the smoke completely or just removes the smell? What kind of filter does it have?

Both, there is a small display showing how much the air is filthy and after using it the air improves in purity.
It should be a HEPA filter if I am not wrong.

Wife and I just go out on the porch to smoke, with a fan blowing it works a treat......kinda cold in the winter, but then we cut down a bit......May not be applicable in your situation though.

In my smoking den, I just have a massive Carboair60 with fan, it just recirculates in the room, cleans up the smell and smoke, surely that would get rid of the tar and stuff in the air as well

An evaporative humidifier will help too.

Smoke is actually particles in suspension. The water vapor makes the smoke particles heavier, and they tend to fall to the floor easier.

An electrostatic air cleaner should also be ideal for smoke.

Just to give you an update if anyone is wondering, i ended up buying the Xiaomi 3C air purifier for about 100€ and it works the same like the purifier in the video i posted above. All the smoke gets sucked in directly like a kitchen exhaust and it releases a smoke-free air. It's exactly what i wanted and i'm happy with the results. Thanks @Don Manzoni for the suggestion.

It has a 3 stage filter: Mesh/HEPA/Carbon, and they need to be changed every 3-6 months depending on the use. I use it only when smoking.
The filters cost around 25€, not so expensive for what they do and for how long they last.
They also have few versions of the filter: standard, anti-bacterial and anti-formaldehyde. They all work the same collecting the smoke and they cost the same, just different types of HEPA.

I think it's a good investment for anyone like me who likes to smoke inside, it doesn't use a lot of wattage either, less than 50w (i think 20-30w).
And surprisingly it's not as loud as i expected, i would say it's quieter than a regular exhaust fan for grow tents. It's still loud, but acceptable for those 5 minutes of smoking. I couldn't bear the sound all day though.

The only thing that i don't like about this Xiaomi purifier is that you need the wi-fi/bluetooth mobile app to fully control the speed of the fan.
The buttons on the device are almost useless, it either works on 100% power or 1%, no medium speed without the mobile app.
The standard mode works at full power all the time, and the automatic mode starts at 100% and gradually decreases the speed as the air is becoming cleaner, but it takes a long time. And while smoking, the fan speed never decreases because the sensor always reads as high pollution.
The night mode is pointless, it works on 1% or even 0%, doesn't make a sound and doesn't pull any air, the pollution sensor is stuck on the same number all the time. I'm not sure if my device is faulty or is it meant to purify the air over the course of a night.
I wish there were several fixed speeds to use it on low setting without the app.

And i also regret for not buying an air purifier with an ionizer. Since i'm using the device on my desk next to my ashtray, all the dust particles being sucked from the room are passing right next to my face, and i'm breathing it all in. So it's best to place it further away.
I didn't think about that, i suppose the ionizer would help making the dust heavier and less floaty, and deactivate the allergy-inducing particles.
But then again, i read somewhere that some cheap ionizers produce ozone as a byproduct so probably shouldn't cheap out on that.

Anyway, i finally found what i was looking for and wanted to share my experience in case someone finds it helpful. Cheers!

Last edited:
I do have the air purifier 3H model, as stock I have different modalities such as : low, medium and high or night mode (like 10% super quite) and automatic etc and I think it s even configurable + if you log in with the app you can even set the speed manually.

My air purifier doesn’t look like it s stuck at 0 or 1% in night mode, it’s very quite but the vents work…just…so quite cuz it’s meant for sleeping.

Also my sensor works as it should be.. it detects every 3 seconds the purity of the air + even in standby mode you can check the sensor with the app.

Maybe try to replace if it s still in warranty .
Maybe you need to a upgrade the firmware ?

I'll contact the seller tomorrow, it's possible that something isn't working properly, or the 3C model is more limited being cheaper than 3H.

And currently i'm struggling to connect the device with my phone. I have a Xiaomi phone and Mi Home app, i tried bringing the device closer to the router but still can't connect. Maybe i'll have to switch the security on the wi-fi router to WPA. I'll have to experiment, i'm still learning about it.

Back