Plant not appearing to ripen. Help!

Reaction score
Hi,

This the first time attempting I'm to grow our own medicine after legalisation finally came for us a few months back (... waited 35 years for that ...)

I germinated a couple of autoflower Gorilla Glue's on July 1st as a trial of doing this. Got the seeds from WeedSeedExpress.

One has grown into a healthy looking 150cm (60”) plant with a bunch of buds, a little airy perhaps, but looking pretty good.
I have it inside under a MarsHydro TS600 in a small panda-film tent.

However it's now going on 17 weeks now without ripening!
The problem is that even though it's very heavily 'dusted' with trichomes they are mostly clear still. (I use a 10x loupe to check. )
I removed the fan leaves several weeks ago and was prepared to harvest when it hits 10% amber trichomes, but it's just not doing that.

How do I get it to 'ripen' ASAP?

Cheers

PS I've been growing 'regular' fruit, veg and ornamental plants for several decades inside and out, so quite comfortable with knowing when to water, harvest, when they're sick etc, and what to do in all those cases. Growing this plant is new to me though.

Hi,

This the first time attempting I'm to grow our own medicine after legalisation finally came for us a few months back (... waited 35 years for that ...)

I germinated a couple of autoflower Gorilla Glue's on July 1st as a trial of doing this. Got the seeds from WeedSeedExpress.

One has grown into a healthy looking 150cm (60”) plant with a bunch of buds, a little airy perhaps, but looking pretty good.
I have it inside under a MarsHydro TS600 in a small panda-film tent.

However it's now going on 17 weeks now without ripening!
The problem is that even though it's very heavily 'dusted' with trichomes they are mostly clear still. (I use a 10x loupe to check. )
I removed the fan leaves several weeks ago and was prepared to harvest when it hits 10% amber trichomes, but it's just not doing that.

How do I get it to 'ripen' ASAP?

Cheers

PS I've been growing 'regular' fruit, veg and ornamental plants for several decades inside and out, so quite comfortable with knowing when to water, harvest, when they're sick etc, and what to do in all those cases. Growing this plant is new to me though.

Could you post up some pictures of the plant so we can see the buds?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 989CD113-7EF0-4720-88BF-ADD6E67C54AF.jpeg
    989CD113-7EF0-4720-88BF-ADD6E67C54AF.jpeg
    987.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 26A465B4-46EF-407A-BFD0-AE3FA00F39B7.jpeg
    26A465B4-46EF-407A-BFD0-AE3FA00F39B7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • 6D65079B-0320-4BA4-A599-64E0F6826984.jpeg
    6D65079B-0320-4BA4-A599-64E0F6826984.jpeg
    1,017.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 55AE350E-A1CA-497A-8F24-167EA13D4CE2.jpeg
    55AE350E-A1CA-497A-8F24-167EA13D4CE2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
No cloudy trichs at all?

Some are cloudy. Most seem clear. Especially lower down (Yep,next time I’ll try training …)
Yeah - some genetic hiccup I imagine. I also wonder whether the substantial defoliation is contributing somehow. The cannabinoids and related compounds in the trichs will eventually oxidize and turn amber but no specific idea why it's happening. Doesn't really help you, I know.

I would harvest an outer branch, dry and cure it. Sample it between dry and cure and see what you have. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

At 17 weeks It has to be almost done.
Some plants never get amber. I had a auto that I waited 4 weeks after they went cloudy and it never really turned amber.
If you haven't tried a bloom booster that might help. I just started using Winter Frost to see if I can help speed up finishing.

Best of luck and Congrats on your 1st grow.

Thanks folks!

The seed seller says 8-10 weeks .. which I’m taking with salt based on comments from growers online, but 17 seems excessive.

We do organic growing in our vege garden, so I just used our rich compost and some potting soil mixed with garden soil on top. No nutrients used. We’re also on really good well water which I PH balanced.
I defoliated a few weeks ago based on some advice I found online. Perhaps a bit hasty?

I think I’ll try scrog with the rest of the seeds in my new grow room next! This is fun!

Back