Sm90 is great stuff duck! It keeps your res clean and sterile- preventing plythium and other root nasties from forming.
I wouldnt try a dwc grow without it- makes growing without a res chiller a lot easier.
I use it at .5ml per litre

Yeah I remember having this discussion with you and Wile at the end of my last grow. I have a chiller on my res but it only drops the temp by about 10F. Even with the chiller the res is running 77-78F. Figured I had better use something.

The highest my ress has been when I've checked is about 24C. I don't know if that is hot enough to cause root root, but I have alot of bubbles and better safe than sorry, sm-90 is working for me so far.

My tap comes out at 133pm if memory serves, but it still felt better using RO since Advanced nutrients base all their pH perfect technology on RO. For me thus far it really works. pH stable at around 5.8 when all nutrients are mixed. And by the next ress change 7 days later, it's around 5.4 - 5.6pH. So no stabilizer.

AN ph perfect does not require RO, only that the EC is less than 50.

Yeah I remember having this discussion with you and Wile at the end of my last grow. I have a chiller on my res but it only drops the temp by about 10F. Even with the chiller the res is running 77-78F. Figured I had better use something.

AN ph perfect does not require RO, only that the EC is less than 50.
Okey, was sure I read that some where. Good to know if I get tired of making water all the time. :d5:

Pulling up a stump and checking things out. Kinda looked like a rough start at first, but things look like they're improving [emoji106]

https://www.autoflower.org/index.php?threads/61158/
Welcome aboard!
Yeah I don't know, it might be to early to put on the party hat. They are still deficiant, just that they started growing so fast that it produces more new leafs then it eats. Well, I guess that is a good thing.

Things are moving along. They have exploded in growth the last week, esp. the super critical auto. In 6 days since the last picture update she has more then doubled in size.
Pictures are from last night, auto-bomb day 39, super critical auto day 29. Rust spots are still there, think I will have to live with them for the rest of this grow.
Both are on the same feeding.

10ml Sensi Veg A
10ml Sensi Veg B
12ml Cal/mag
10ml Voodoo Juice
8ml Rhino Skin
10ml SM-90
480ppm
pH 6.3 (tried running a week with higher pH, plants don't seem to care one way or the other).

both_05.jpg

both_06.jpg

Happy thuesday!! :smoking:

Last edited:
Hey PickleRick! I was reading through your grow journal here and wanted to congratulate you on your first DWC grow that seems to go pretty well! I know it can be a challenge to dial in at first!

I see these babies are entering their generative period soon and soon they may start to consume a bit more nutes still and most of all drink a whole lot of water. It may be a good idea to start removing little bit of old leaves from the down below and even tiny brances that won't go anywhere since they will be just taking up energy from the plant not producing too much in return. Don't go overboard with it just a little at one time will do so you avoid shocking her. Another thing I would recommend is to use carbohydrates like carboload from the AN -product family or Nature's Candy from Remo Nutrients. Latter also contains amino acids and together with carbs it can provide both pure energy for your plant and the bacteria at the rootzone to use. Also some silicone would be great to use in this as it would increase photosyntesis and strengthen the stems.

But all in all very good work and I am impressed you are not freaking out about the Ca -issue. Man when that happens early on it can be really really hard to get rid of. I'd suggest to keep the pH more up from the start and be more aggressive with giving some CalMag when you are growing with your LED. It seems to be required. Also some strains just simply require hell of a lot more Ca than others, it seems.

Hey PickleRick! I was reading through your grow journal here and wanted to congratulate you on your first DWC grow that seems to go pretty well! I know it can be a challenge to dial in at first!

I see these babies are entering their generative period soon and soon they may start to consume a bit more nutes still and most of all drink a whole lot of water. It may be a good idea to start removing little bit of old leaves from the down below and even tiny brances that won't go anywhere since they will be just taking up energy from the plant not producing too much in return. Don't go overboard with it just a little at one time will do so you avoid shocking her. Another thing I would recommend is to use carbohydrates like carboload from the AN -product family or Nature's Candy from Remo Nutrients. Latter also contains amino acids and together with carbs it can provide both pure energy for your plant and the bacteria at the rootzone to use. Also some silicone would be great to use in this as it would increase photosyntesis and strengthen the stems.

But all in all very good work and I am impressed you are not freaking out about the Ca -issue. Man when that happens early on it can be really really hard to get rid of. I'd suggest to keep the pH more up from the start and be more aggressive with giving some CalMag when you are growing with your LED. It seems to be required. Also some strains just simply require hell of a lot more Ca than others, it seems.

Thanks man!! :smoking:

Been a bit scared of removing leafs, thinking that the plant will have less leafs to eat up due to my deficiancies. But removed a couple really bad ones last night from both plants. So might take a few more then.
So happens that I have a bottle of carboload and was planing on feeding on next water change, also start big bud and sensizym. Since the main stretch is over, or is it a bit early to add those?

I went into this grow with a mindset of - it's a test grow, 1st grow. Finish it, learn and improve your next grow. :D
Will continue to have the pH around 6.3 and see how it goes.

And yes for the next one I will be on top of it from the start!

Thanks for all the great advice mate! :worship:

No not at all too early to give those! Just remember that Bid Bud raises EC / PPM also as it has plenty of K. It is a good source for amino acids that are more than welcome at this stage.

I would go as far as giving carbohydrates around week 3. You got to keep in mind that the beneficial bacteria you have in Voodoo Juice loves that stuff too so they go nicely hand in hand.

And enzymes is a great idea to add now also..and keep adding. About 1ml per litre will be enough. Good luck!

No not at all too early to give those! Just remember that Bid Bud raises EC / PPM also as it has plenty of K. It is a good source for amino acids that are more than welcome at this stage.

I would go as far as giving carbohydrates around week 3. You got to keep in mind that the beneficial bacteria you have in Voodoo Juice loves that stuff too so they go nicely hand in hand.

And enzymes is a great idea to add now also..and keep adding. About 1ml per litre will be enough. Good luck!

A bit of this :slap: for ya @MedGrower. Some good advice that echo my thoughts, but I hesitate to offer too much advice as I am only on my 2nd hydro grow.:greenthumb:

Things are moving along. They have exploded in growth the last week, esp. the super critical auto. In 6 days since the last picture update she has more then doubled in size.
Pictures are from last night, auto-bomb day 39, super critical auto day 29. Rust spots are still there, think I will have to live with them for the rest of this grow.
Both are on the same feeding.

10ml Sensi Veg A
10ml Sensi Veg B
12ml Cal/mag
10ml Voodoo Juice
8ml Rhino Skin
10ml SM-90
480ppm
pH 6.3 (tried running a week with higher pH, plants don't seem to care one way or the other).

View attachment 800159

View attachment 800160

Happy thuesday!! :smoking:

Hey PickleRick! I think MedGrower have some great advice! You may also want to try adding a little Epsom salt to your nutrients mix and dial in that PH closer to 5.8. This may help prevent further rust spots ...

Back