Nute lockout or deficiency's? In KIS biochar water only LOS

Reaction score
Here's a quick background. On day 43 KIS organic biochar, growing two autoflowers Sweet n Sours from Mephisto Genetics. I over watered them about two weeks ago. Fed them too much nitrogen and way too much barley, which I think caused a phosphorus toxicity, not 100%. I let them dry out a bit and they seemed to perk up but leaves are still dying on one of them, and the other has a lot of yellowing on the lower fan leaves. Could it be pythium? Nute lockout? My other Strawberry Nuggets which is the same age is starting to show some deficiency's as well and she had no issues. They've only been fed coconut powder, aloe, malted barley and teas.

IMG_2931.jpg
IMG_2930.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg
IMG_2934.jpg

Looks like a phosphorous lockout. not 100%. but leaves are burnt right off.
Deficiency.jpg

Looks like a phosphorous lockout. not 100%. but leaves are burnt right off.View attachment 1116540
Thats what I was leaning towards too. And the main stem is very purple. But the girl on the right seems like she’s going through a n deficiency. Not sure what I should I do. I’ve been feeding hydroguard in case it’s Pythium. Should I keep feeding them plain water or do a light feeding with bloom aminos?

:toke: get me pics in normal light mate, I can't read the leaves well at all in HPS.... but it does look P defc. related, maybe others as well...?
Info needed on water source, pH, ppm (hardness), just to be sure...
keeping an eye on in-pot pH is also critical, not matter what soil it is...
No link between high N and P lockout/uptake issues,....

:toke: get me pics in normal light mate, I can't read the leaves well at all in HPS.... but it does look P defc. related, maybe others as well...?
Info needed on water source, pH, ppm (hardness), just to be sure...
keeping an eye on in-pot pH is also critical, not matter what soil it is...
No link between high N and P lockout/uptake issues,....

Haven’t been checking ph since I started. These problems arose after overwatering heavy and feeding way too much malted barley. The other 3 plants don’t seem to be having any other issues so don’t think it’s pH related. I used recharge in case there was any pH issues. Since there isn’t much time left on them I’m just going to keep feeding/watering. They’re putting on trichs and still drinking about 88oz every day and a half.

Haven’t been checking ph since I started. These problems arose after overwatering heavy and feeding way too much malted barley. The other 3 plants don’t seem to be having any other issues so don’t think it’s pH related. I used recharge in case there was any pH issues. Since there isn’t much time left on them I’m just going to keep feeding/watering. They’re putting on trichs and still drinking about 88oz every day and a half.

Having used KIS Soil, personally I would just give water ....

No reason to give them any fertilizer other than perhaps top dressing of EWC .....

Maybe some RO if you have or rainwater if your not in an acid rain area but myself I wouldn’t try chasing any fixes .....

KIS Water Only Soil kinda means water only, especially with autos - Soil is designed for Photos so more than enough food for autos.

Good luck,
MOB

Having used KIS Soil, personally I would just give water ....

No reason to give them any fertilizer other than perhaps top dressing of EWC .....

Maybe some RO if you have or rainwater if your not in an acid rain area but myself I wouldn’t try chasing any fixes .....

KIS Water Only Soil kinda means water only, especially with autos - Soil is designed for Photos so more than enough food for autos.

Good luck,
MOB

I'm seeing nitrogen deficiencies in all of my plants. I've been feeding aloe and coconut pretty much since the beginning, plus compost teas. I have a feeling I got some heavy feeders. I've seen quite a few people who grow with KIS need to supply additional nutrients, especially with photos. And I'm using Thrive N & Bloom to feed. Knew you were using it too, had to go back and double check.

Last edited:
I'm seeing nitrogen deficiencies in all of my plants. I've been feeding aloe and coconut pretty much since the beginning, plus compost teas. I have a feeling I got some heavy feeders. I've seen quite a few people who grow with KIS need to supply additional nutrients, especially with photos. And I'm using Thrive N & Bloom to feed. Knew you were using it too, had to go back and double check.

Correct I used thrive.n as a foliar spray and top dressed as well but not until they were older .... I also used mammoth p and EM1 and EWC top dressings but no teas or any heavy feedings - most everything was a top dress .....

you have more than one plant why not try just water one or two .... and something else on the others .... perhaps a spray fed of thrive.n on one - which if you spray - spray underside of leaves and avoid buds - you don’t have to spray entire plant either .... make sure plant is dry before putting under lights .....

I know many will disagree with spray so this Post will get criticized but if you keep doing what your doing your going to keep getting what your getting!

All the best and never give up,
MOB

PS On any fertilizer I used or anything dumped in the water, I always go about 1/3 - 1/2 of manufacturers recommendation.

Correct I used thrive.n as a foliar spray and top dressed as well but not until they were older .... I also used mammoth p and EM1 and EWC top dressings but no teas or any heavy feedings - most everything was a top dress .....

you have more than one plant why not try just water one or two .... and something else on the others .... perhaps a spray fed of thrive.n on one - which if you spray - spray underside of leaves and avoid buds - you don’t have to spray entire plant either .... make sure plant is dry before putting under lights .....

I know many will disagree with spray so this Post will get criticized but if you keep doing what your doing your going to keep getting what your getting!

All the best and never give up,
MOB

They started showing deficiencies around week 6 and they were definitely quite large. I kept comparing my plants to others I've seen on growdiaries as well as here. They were doing amazingly well before I over watered and over fed. I tried following a feed schedule I pulled from reddit, but the recommended malted barley was way too high. And I found KIS's watering guide a week too late.

This was my first official grow and I learned a lot. I have high hopes that next run will be even better. I'm hoping to yield decently this round. The colas are starting to form and looking quite fat.

I thought about doing foliar, but I'm running 24/7 and seems a bit too late into flowering. Maybe next run I'll experiment during veg.

Does the thrive mix completely for you? I seem to get some sediment every time.

They started showing deficiencies around week 6 and they were definitely quite large. I kept comparing my plants to others I've seen on growdiaries as well as here. They were doing amazingly well before I over watered and over fed. I tried following a feed schedule I pulled from reddit, but the recommended malted barley was way too high. And I found KIS's watering guide a week too late.

This was my first official grow and I learned a lot. I have high hopes that next run will be even better. I'm hoping to yield decently this round. The colas are starting to form and looking quite fat.

I thought about doing foliar, but I'm running 24/7 and seems a bit too late into flowering. Maybe next run I'll experiment during veg.

Does the thrive mix completely for you? I seem to get some sediment every time.

Seemed to mix good but I run my water after I mix thru two strainers before it goes into spray .... anything in strainer goes into watering buckets, which I used rain water for my grows .....

Next grow just use straight p KIS soil and top dress with some earthworm castings and I recommend straw mulch over top .... Top Dress with Bokashi Amazon product and leave it run .... Add some EWC again around day 30-35 and little Bokashi too .... We often, myself included, try to “make more better” ...... Get success with standard and experiment from there .....

Hope this helps,
MOB

PS Might wanna turn down 18/6 but I ran mine 24/0 ... But turning down would give them some rest time, anyways a thought.

I goofed my first grow as well but second grow produced a monster 12 zips from one plant and 3+ zips from each of the other three I had - you can do it to!

Back