Novice grower looking for yield advice

If your looking to stick with soil you can also always switch to a better soil. If biobizz light mix is available in canada I highly recommend it along with others who use it on the site. Also I forgot to mention the bigger the pot or grow bag the bigger the plant will be able to grow also. You look at solo cups vs 2 liter vs 5 to 7 gallon plants and you'll notice the bigger the pot the bigger the plant can get also. Another factor to consider. I use 5 to 7 gallon for autos. 7 to 10 gallon for photos. Outdoors even bigger pots.

Last edited:
philizon -200w actual
sf 1000 - 100w actual

Not familiar with strain or genetics, but don't believe that's the problem.
Cheap soil? Why?
Why give half of the recommended dose of ferts?
Why no organic bloom nutes?
Why no LST to expose bud sites and foliage to maximum light?

I'm just spitballing here, but I'm thinking 24-28c, light, airy, well draining, quality medium, elevate pots, provide air circulation, quality organic ferts for veg and bloom and train the heck out of them. I keep my auto's short and spread the nodes around the pot. I don't yield more than 6-8oz. dry,
but it's quality. Good luck. Organic soil auto grower.

Attachments

• IMG_20201017_155321337_HDR (2).jpg
    IMG_20201017_155321337_HDR (2).jpg
    985 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200427_231347713 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200427_231347713 (1).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200523_170726371.jpg
    IMG_20200523_170726371.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200522_180058214_LI.jpg
    IMG_20200522_180058214_LI.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thank you everyone for all the advice. I dont really want to switch to Coco right now but it seems like lots of you already have so there's gotta be something to it.

I'm going to get my temps up a bit and get some better soil for my next run. My pots were already up off the ground on wire racks like one of you suggested

I thought autos required lower levels of nutrients, especially as seedlings, that's why I used less than the recommended dose when first amending my soil. I did top dress with both veg and bloom nutes but I forgot to mention that.

again, thanks for all the help. peace

I thought autos required lower levels of nutrients, especially as seedlings, that's why I used less than the recommended dose when first amending my soil. I did top dress with both veg and bloom nutes but I forgot to mention that.

again, thanks for all the help. peace
I have heard the same. I don't feed in soil the first couple weeks because soil has the food there. Coco is empty, therefore you need to be feeding from the start.

I have had a couple plants that were a little nute sensitive, but the vast majority I treat like photos, increase feed till tipburn, and back off 10%. Many strains I have found I can push well over 100%. A couple strains were very happy at almost 200% of recommended feed levels. So I would suggest that is about as true as "you can't top autos".
The original ruderelous can grow in a ditch full of sand and rocks with some rain once in a while (but I don't want to smoke it!)... I think the farther we move away from the original genetic package, the less like the original they act, if that makes sence.

I run coco sometimes, love the growth and weight. Makes feeding a breeze since you can't overwater. Problems easy to solve... use it if I need the weight moving thru for some reason.

We almost all try and get started with a couple bucks and a couple seeds. Good weed comes from good genetics, grown with good nutes in a quality medium (soil or soiless) with good lighting, in a balanced environment. None of those things are just a couple bucks!

Sunshine #4 or Nectar for the Gods #4 soil is what I run. If I watch I can find it for 15-17$ a bag (us).

Shoulda seen my first grow... bagseed under stolen security lights in Miricle grow... with fish emulsion for fertz...blah! So bad you couldn't share it... good times!

I have heard the same. I don't feed in soil the first couple weeks because soil has the food there. Coco is empty, therefore you need to be feeding from the start.

I have had a couple plants that were a little nute sensitive, but the vast majority I treat like photos, increase feed till tipburn, and back off 10%. Many strains I have found I can push well over 100%. A couple strains were very happy at almost 200% of recommended feed levels. So I would suggest that is about as true as "you can't top autos".
The original ruderelous can grow in a ditch full of sand and rocks with some rain once in a while (but I don't want to smoke it!)... I think the farther we move away from the original genetic package, the less like the original they act, if that makes sence.

I run coco sometimes, love the growth and weight. Makes feeding a breeze since you can't overwater. Problems easy to solve... use it if I need the weight moving thru for some reason.

We almost all try and get started with a couple bucks and a couple seeds. Good weed comes from good genetics, grown with good nutes in a quality medium (soil or soiless) with good lighting, in a balanced environment. None of those things are just a couple bucks!

Sunshine #4 or Nectar for the Gods #4 soil is what I run. If I watch I can find it for 15-17$ a bag (us).

Shoulda seen my first grow... bagseed under stolen security lights in Miricle grow... with fish emulsion for fertz...blah! So bad you couldn't share it... good times!
Same first 2 to 3 weeks I give no nutes in soil. Let the soil do the work just phd water. Then start feeding nutes from there. In coco start feeding lightly like 18 strength veg nutes and slowly work your way up as the plants get bigger and need more nutrients. I recommend Real Growers Recharge to recharge your soil or roots in coco or hydro too. It's good beneficial bacteria for all grow mediums. Just dont leave it in a hydro res. I top fed recharge in hydro. Let the recharge drain to the res. Then do a res change. But soil or coco just feed recharge once a week for bennies for your plants. Keeps roots healthy and strong and makes your root system blow up. Keeps your roots healthy and dont have to worry about root rot (pythium) which can kill a crop quick if you overwater in soil or have too high water levels in hydro or in hydro if water temps get too warm or not enough oxygen that's when pythium sets in to kill your plants. I lost my first crop in hydro to pythium and it was a bitch to battle. Til I learned about bennies (beneficial bacteria) Check these screenshots out about recharge. In coco coir its impossible to overwater also. Another reason people love coco coir. Plus the bigger plants and hydro like growth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-103703_One UI Home.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-103703_One UI Home.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20201230-131652_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-131652_Chrome.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20201230-131621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-131621_Chrome.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20201230-131457_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-131457_Chrome.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20201230-131143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-131143_Chrome.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20201230-131707_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-131707_Chrome.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201230-131657_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-131657_Chrome.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 9
I think you might be over complicating this whole thing. Lets be real here, you need some dirt (REALLY good dirt) You need some water (proper Ph ) and you need some bright light. Thats it!!!!!!!! Nature and genetics will do EVERYTHING for you if you just provide what they need.....you guessed it, Dirt, light and water.
For the dirt part, do yourself a favor and go check out KIS organics and see what Tad is doing over there. Dirt issue solved.
Ph your water and learn to keep them moist but not wet......water issue done
Get a really bright light...I use the COB's from Big Smo on here. Light solved

Last variable is pot size. I just pulled 3.5 zips off a zkittlez in a 3 gal nursery bucket in 61 days. I didnt have another fabric pot so I went out in the greenhouse and grabbed a 3gal like you would get from lowes ....filled it with good dirt and off we went.

Good Luck and if you stay out of mother natures way.....they will do way more than you think.

Peace

Back