MarsHydro Light Shows 2023 NORBY grows Sawney beans - FORUM STOMPER-DOUBLE GRAPE+PLANET OF THE GRAPES & EL JEFE "THE BOSS" & Dutch Passions SFV OG (Mars Hydro TSW 2000)

MarsHydro Light Shows 2023
Might I suggest that when you run your experiment that you add,some seeds that have been turned over on the plasma ball, so that both sides of the seeds are exposed to the plasma, the test that shows that the seed casing changed from smooth to rough, may require both sides been exposed for an all round, even 'roughingup"
I was thinking just the same when I read the article...also, just roughing the seeds up in a rolled up piece of sanding paper, would give the same result. So I'm still contemplating on which combinations and the amount of seeds needed to complete the experiment

I was thinking just the same when I read the article...also, just roughing the seeds up in a rolled up piece of sanding paper, would give the same result. So I'm still contemplating on which combinations and the amount of seeds needed to complete the experiment

Sounds like it would be fair to compare, although it does seem that the plasma treatment is possibly more than just the roughing up of the shell for easy water water absorbtion and fast sprouting, but may also have a deeper "genetic?" effect on the growth vigour and fruit/vegetable/flowering yield as well as protecting against molds, mildew etc....

Depending on space and time, I imagine a comparison grow would be required.

control seeds, sand papered seeds, plasma treated 30 secs, 1 min, 3 min single side and the same time period on both sides.

put them all in spouting trays at the same time, water all at once, allow to shoot, grow 2 control and 2 of each of the sanded/plasma treated samples side by side. thats like 20 plants though... a person has gotta be a real scientist breeder to got that deep into the experiment.

Day 48 in The Den {Sawney bean strains & Dutch Passions SFV Og}
IMG_20230819_114248.jpg
IMG_20230819_114043.jpg
IMG_20230819_113108.jpg
IMG_20230819_113048.jpg
IMG_20230819_113017.jpg
IMG_20230819_113004.jpg
IMG_20230819_113045.jpg
IMG_20230819_113112.jpg
IMG_20230819_113055.jpg
IMG_20230819_114157.jpg
IMG_20230819_114021.jpg
IMG_20230819_113952.jpg
IMG_20230819_113226.jpg
IMG_20230819_113158.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230819_113112.jpg
    IMG_20230819_113112.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 4
I noticed that you have Crystal things in your pots, I guess thats an experiment?

Maybe this is of interest to you.

anyway, I was reading an article on the web, https://www.sciencenews.org/article/cold-plasma-agriculture-sustainable-farms-fertilizer

which I found rather interesting and then thought about all the sciencey types on this site. and remembered the stones/crystals

The included copy paste is what i found most instantly interesting.

I will not be growing again for at least a 9 months so have no chance to test the article.I also dumped my sons plasma lamp only a couple of months ago in a clearout, thats how it goes.

Experiments led by biochemist Alexander Volkov of Oakwood University in Huntsville, Ala., offer another example of the kind of research going on in plasma agriculture. Volkov studies the ways in which plants and electromagnetism interact.

Recently, Volkov set out to study how plasma would affect 20 seeds of dragon’s-tongue, a cultivar of the bush bean Phaseolus vulgaris. The experiment was low-tech. He and colleagues balanced the seeds on a plasma ball for one minute each, then incubated the seeds in water for seven hours. Two days later, the scientists found that in plasma-treated seeds, the radicle — the little protrusion of root that makes a seed a seedling — measured 2.7 centimeters, compared with 1.8 centimeters in untreated seeds, a gain of 50 percent. The team reported the results in Functional Plant Biology in February 2021.

Roots emerge​

Biochemist Alexander Volkov and colleagues exposed bush bean seeds to plasma jets, then immersed the seeds in water for a day. Two days later, plasma-treated seeds showed larger radicles, or starter roots. The least growth occurred in untreated seeds. The others received plasma for 30 seconds, one minute, five minutes and 15 minutes (shown below). Using a plasma globe, he got less striking results.

image of untreated seedlings
No treatment

images of seedlings treated with plasma for five minutes
5 minutes

image of seedlings treated with plasma for 30 seconds
30 seconds

images of seedlings treated with plasma for 15 minutes
15 minutes

images of seedlings treated with plasma for one minute
1 minute

All images: A.G. Volkov et al/Plasma Medicine 2020

Less than a centimeter of extra growth may seem modest, but Volkov was encouraged. The benefit couldn’t have come from the reactive species of nitrogen and oxygen because they can’t exit the glass sphere, but somehow, the treated seeds seemed to take up more water to grow faster.

To investigate that idea, he and colleagues studied the seeds using an atomic force microscope and magnetic resonance imaging, which reveals how tissues take up water. At the micrometer-level view of the atomic force microscope, Volkov saw that exposure had roughed up the surface of the seeds. The images looked like carved mountain ranges. Those ridges gave the water more surface area to glom on to, and more openings through which to soak the inside of the seeds, he hypothesized. MRI images of treated beans showed larger swaths of white — indicating more water inside — than untreated beans.

“When we use the plasma balls or lamps, the water can penetrate easily through the pores and accelerate germination,” he says.
Interesting.

Back