Indoor Next attempt and 1st journal

PXL_20211222_230737061.jpg
PXL_20211222_230741607.jpg

So now I have another that's showing the same issues. Any suggestions? I'm thinking too much calmag. Gonna lower the calmag in half and up the grow a+b slightly. So tap water plus calmag is now 130ppm instead of 185, and total feed now at 520 from 490 starting today

I would make sure the pH of the medium and nute solution/water is good first, without that, nothing else in the root zone can work correctly for the particular plant species. That would also be my guess as to what the problem is as well.

It is a easy problem to have and I have had it so many times, it can look like every/any 'deficiency or 'excess', hard to make any other guesses.

Reactions: JP1
I would make sure the pH of the medium and nute solution/water is good first, without that, nothing else in the root zone can work correctly for the particular plant species. That would also be my guess as to what the problem is as well.

It is a easy problem to have and I have had it so many times, it can look like every/any 'deficiency or 'excess', hard to make any other guesses.
pH going in has been 5.8. Currently pH in the runoff trays is 6.5-6.7 for all of them. But the trays are pretty dirty and that's with today's and like the last 2 days worth of runoff sitting in there so I'm pretty sure that pH should be good. My whole last run was wrecked by pH problems so I've been checking my meter every 2 or 3 days this run and it hasn't gone out more then 0.1 so far from the calibration solution. Like yesterday the 7.01 solution measured 7.08 so I think I'm good with the measuring. Also using feed that's around 50 degrees so that will throw it off a little but not my 1st winter and was never a problem before

pH going in has been 5.8. Currently pH in the runoff trays is 6.5-6.7 for all of them. But the trays are pretty dirty and that's with today's and like the last 2 days worth of runoff sitting in there so I'm pretty sure that pH should be good. My whole last run was wrecked by pH problems so I've been checking my meter every 2 or 3 days this run and it hasn't gone out more then 0.1 so far from the calibration solution. Like yesterday the 7.01 solution measured 7.08 so I think I'm good with the measuring. Also using feed that's around 50 degrees so that will throw it off a little but not my 1st winter and was never a problem before

Yeah, for just liquids they stay okay on the calibration compared to soil and slurry test etc., from what I can tell.

Just judging off your runoff I’d say pH is way to high, imo. Medium may be almost 7.0 pH, for the ones with higher runoff. For me, I would want ~5.7 pH in and out. I think that it has to be so high because the perlite, the coco should be around 6.4 by itself, based off the cocoa I have used (2 only and they didn’t have a known brand name). Maybe could also happen when watering with to high pH for a while but I think more likely the purlite. Cannabis is know to be ‘acid loving plant’, acidic soil is considered ~5.0-6.5. Neutralis considered. 6.5-7.5 pH,

Pretty sure some people grow in purlite only, maybe see what they do for pH.

google cannabis pH and this come up -
BF07C523-116A-4873-B76B-93CB2C91F40C.png

not that I believe much of what google says, I think it may be helpful here

Last edited:
Yeah, for just liquids they stay okay on the calibration compared to soil and slurry test etc., from what I can tell.

Just judging off your runoff I’d say pH is way to high, imo. Medium may be almost 7.0 pH, for the ones with higher runoff. For me, I would want ~5.7 pH in and out. I think that it has to be so high because the perlite, the coco should be around 6.4 by itself, based off the cocoa I have used (2 only and they didn’t have a known brand name). Maybe could also happen when watering with to high pH for a while but I think more likely the purlite. Cannabis is know to be ‘acid loving plant’, acidic soil is considered ~5.0-6.5. Neutralis considered. 6.5-7.5 pH,

Pretty sure some people grow in purlite only, maybe see what they do for pH.

google cannabis pH and this come up -
View attachment 1400077

not that I believe much of what google says, I think it may be helpful here
That's what I keep it at going in. Really try to keep 5.8-6.0 since it always rises. Not concerned about today's runoff measurement since they're dirty trays with evaporated runoff so they're expected to be high and concentrated. I'll see if I can get a fresh reading Sunday if I have some time after all the Christmas festivities end. Perlite was well rinsed originally and this is reused so I don't think the perlite is any sort of issue

Saw your post in LS.
Looks like you've got a lot going on there.
I almost want to say you've got an immobile nutrient deficiency (like zinc, or iron) or you've got an N deficiency somehow, And.... Yeah I really have no clue.
On the PH stuff... When I was using coco, I'd use stuff like megacrop, and ph it to 5.89. I was more of the "treat it like hydro" grower, So I'd feed everyday until I got a decent bit of run off.

Also.... Mycos in coco? A couple of the older members on here told me to use the hydro version of that bacteria (Bacillus something or the other. My memory's shot, So I don't remember )

Saw your post in LS.
Looks like you've got a lot going on there.
I almost want to say you've got an immobile nutrient deficiency (like zinc, or iron) or you've got an N deficiency somehow, And.... Yeah I really have no clue.
On the PH stuff... When I was using coco, I'd use stuff like megacrop, and ph it to 5.89. I was more of the "treat it like hydro" grower, So I'd feed everyday until I got a decent bit of run off.

Also.... Mycos in coco? A couple of the older members on here told me to use the hydro version of that bacteria (Bacillus something or the other. My memory's shot, So I don't remember )
Appreciate the feedback. . They do get fed everyday until runoff. And they will until they go into the autopots, assuming I can get them back on track to get in there. I clearly gotta get my water tested. Recharge made a definite positive difference in the past when I was using organic liquid fertilizers with Coco, but I've been having problems since I went to hydro nutes. I've never had any problems before flower ever other then with outdoor plants, so I'm all confused. My guess is all sorts of problems from too much calcium. Well water is only 75ppm but saw some calcium on the hose connections yesterday when I cut off the spigots. Sorry. Rambling. Stoned.

Appreciate the feedback. . They do get fed everyday until runoff. And they will until they go into the autopots, assuming I can get them back on track to get in there. I clearly gotta get my water tested. Recharge made a definite positive difference in the past when I was using organic liquid fertilizers with Coco, but I've been having problems since I went to hydro nutes. I've never had any problems before flower ever other then with outdoor plants, so I'm all confused. My guess is all sorts of problems from too much calcium. Well water is only 75ppm but saw some calcium on the hose connections yesterday when I cut off the spigots. Sorry. Rambling. Stoned.
Too much calcium could be blocking your magnesium uptake?
I've got super hard water where I live, And all I really do is aerate the water for 24 hours or until it doesn't smell like pool water anymore.
I've honestly never had the problems with plants that you're having, And I used to do all sorts of dumb stuff.
Are you running your nutes at full strength?

Ok, I'm confused...in 1 post at top of page you talk about tap water plus cal-mag...... then just above post you talk about well water being 75 ppm.....which do you have? Not sure on your life situation or anything, but my thoughts are to eliminate guesswork....Where I live I can get gallon jugs of distilled ( grocery store, dollar general) for about 80 cents. Might be worth it to grab 10 or 12 jugs just to eliminate a variable.

Back