Grow Room New Room Build, and newbie asking for help

Fiddle

Much love from 807
Reaction score
I have decided to build a grow room in my garage this winter, it will be a 4x4x8 room elevated off the floor with insulation covering all side of it. I picked out some primer and paint for the walls and ceiling. The next thing on the list is lights heating and fans.

I have been pandering the ideal of having a co2 tank feeding into the room so I don't need to replace the air as often since every bit of thermal loss is a issue and blowing air out of the room consistently becomes one quickly and expensively.

If it doesn't work in the dead winter that's cool, I will just need to schedule my grow around it.

Edit: I am thinking that maybe a hybrid co2 and low air exchange system might be more of what I need

Last edited:
I have been throwing some ideals around in my head and one of them I have a familiarity with.. I have been making wine and beer for years and I already know a way to deal with the possible added humidity from the fermenter in the room. If the room gets warm enough and I have enough of them they may actually help keep the room warm.

Hello Fiddle!

Good to read you are setting up a growspace so you can get some almost free weed :cools:

When you have been brewing wine or beer, have you ever meacured the Co2 being produced By the yeast?

No but that wouldn't be to hard to figure out just by measuring the outflow and knowing how much sugar you put in the fermenter. They have charts in certain forums which have a average amount of co2 produced by yeast in certain conditions so we can kind of ballgame at what speed out ferment will complete, this is a rabbit hole to another hobby though. A extremely simple way to think of this is temp*sugar+yeast(/2)+/-ph ect.. idk how it actually works I just know there people who have figured it out for us

TL/DR No but there are ways to figure that out without any tools

You could run a long Liebig condenser and run super cold water through the condenser to remove some of the the humidity in the gas and run it through a gas meter for a ideal

"One person has measured CO2 production and found that he got 25 gal. of CO2 for one gal. of 1.060 beer. Another person who has measured it has written "Looking at the ratio of alcohol and CO2 atomic weights in the fermentation equation suggests that for every pound of alcohol you should get 1.045 lbs of CO2. The above brew (in the example he was writing about) is 6.6% ABV or 5.28% ABW. In 40 lbs of beer, that's 2.1 lbs of alcohol, meaning 2.2 lbs of CO2. Or 133 gallons."

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing bro :smokeout:

I will brew 25 litres wine á time in my growspace, i got 3 of those damejeannes. That, including me breathing on my girl ALOT should raise the Co2-ppms so she grows quicker. What do you reckon?

I got it up to 18% alc in two weeks on my first try, just added an extra kilo of sugar.

Will do the same wine this time but will add a touch apple-Concentrate to the red wine to see if it tastes better. I believe so.

And for the white wine I’m adding little bit of blackcurrants.

I did some quick math and came up with some numbers saying that I need 0.66% of a pound of sugar to give the room a addition of 1000 ppm co2 in a perfect setting

"Width x length x height x desired CO2 level in parts per million.

So in our example, we have 8x8x7x0.001 = 0.448 cubic feet of CO2 needed to raise the level inside the grow room to 1,000ppm CO2"
Dunno if this is how you figure this out, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have found that with my size of room a pound of sugar fermenting out every 5-4 days is enough to raise the co2 by 1000 ppm meaning over a 100 day period I would need to ferment around 20-22 pounds of sugar, of course the rate of fermentation would be slower near the end so I could switch out 5 gallon buckets of birdwatchers every few days or something. I don't want a ferment that produces to much smell so just sugar and birdseed with a bit of paste for nutes
( birdwatchers is a sugar water with birdseed and tomato paste)

Last edited:
You can adjust you're temp according to a vpd chart if you can't change the humidity. My tent is in a 45 degree garage right now and one of those small electric radiators inside the tent will keep the temps where I want them. I'd be concerned about bugs with fermenting sugars near plants then I would CO2 levels...

The temperatures outside of the tent will be in the -40s C so any bugs that get in would have to be pretty hardy in the first place, there are also measures we homebrewers take to reduce bugs in warmer seasons like airlocks on the fermenters which the output can be ran through condensers and filters to reduce smell and control humidity

Alternatively I can use a co2 generator lol

Last edited:
Give me a few months and I will come back once I get some equipment, I am tossing the ideal of jumping right into live soil and using clover and bay leaf as a cover crop.

It's going to be the gifting season in my family, I am an uncle and all of the birthdays are in the late and early months

Back