Outdoor My grow

im with Nelson on depth of the seeds. my dad always said sow twice the depth of the seed. its has worked for me for fifty plus yrs.

like SBH said the helmet on the sprout has to go, just remove it very carefully.

TOKE OUT

I was using Rapid Rooters for awhile until I started having damping off issues with them. I'm back to straight Pro Mix, make a little depression, drop the seed in and cover with 1/4" of screened peat moss. Now I'm back to 90% + germination.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the compo mix will fry a seed to death in no time. Before I figured out what I was doing wrong, I killed some seeds and had a very unhealthy seedling in a similar mix. Since then I've germed in a paper towel and gone straight into a cup of FF Light Warrior with very good results. I place the seed root down and just brush enough soil on top to cover it. I also dealt with the seed helmet and membrane problem, and surgery was the only way to save the plant. That's one situation where the 'leave it alone and it'll sort itself out' philosophy doesn't work.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the compo mix will fry a seed to death in no time. Before I figured out what I was doing wrong, I killed some seeds and had a very unhealthy seedling in a similar mix. Since then I've germed in a paper towel and gone straight into a cup of FF Light Warrior with very good results. I place the seed root down and just brush enough soil on top to cover it. I also dealt with the seed helmet and membrane problem, and surgery was the only way to save the plant. That's one situation where the 'leave it alone and it'll sort itself out' philosophy doesn't work.

I know this is conflicting but, I start seeds in a 50/50 horse manure/wood fines composted for 3 years...

They pop and actually thrive, According to how hot and fresh it is then yes it will kill seedlings but if you get it just right they will thrive...

For an unexp. grower than AB's advice is what I would recommend though...
Peace * Buds...NC420

I have got wicked good at splitting the seed casing off of the sprout using my two thumb nails and moderate pressure. If you have never tried this procedure, practise it with some bag seed or something you don't care about not your $40 pack of 5 fems. You will probably have a few infant mortality cases until you get the hang of it. After you do it is easy

Hey this is a little tip I like to share that seems to work out well for me and my seedlings. There is a mold or mildew problem with seedlings that is called "Damp off". The stalk on the seedling narrows and then the seedling falls over and dies. I know they make a product to cure it called Damp Off but a simple home rememdy I learned from a fellow grower really works well and doesn't cost anything (not cost anything just ask Muddy how cheap I am). Just take a plain cup of black coffee and dilulte it three to one with warer. Water the seedlings with this and they don't damp off. Why you wicked organic types can even use organic fair trade coffee to be so politically right. I do support organic I just don't personally follow it too closely but my wife grows organically.

Keeping them damp also helps. I use a pair of tweezers. A little pressure on the open sides, then gently remove them with the tweezers.

I have got wicked good at splitting the seed casing off of the sprout using my two thumb nails and moderate pressure. If you have never tried this procedure, practise it with some bag seed or something you don't care about not your $40 pack of 5 fems. You will probably have a few infant mortality cases until you get the hang of it. After you do it is easy

Gee Muddy it sounds almost like brain surgery. I gotta use my tactile input as I can't see shit anymore.

Keeping them damp also helps. I use a pair of tweezers. A little pressure on the open sides, then gently remove them with the tweezers.

Tweezers worked for me also. Though not recommended if you're baked...

I think Cannabis seeds are quite hardy. I recently dropped a seedling into a steaming hot cup of tea whilst transplanting from its paper towel into its grow pot. It sprouted just as well as the other 5. Dont be afraid to use you hands

Back