New Grower Mephisto Sour Crack under Telos 0006 v1.1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time growing any kind of plant. I’ve been lurking on here for a couple of months absorbing as much as I can.

It is Day 5 since my seedlings broke through the soil. I’ve decided to start a grow journal to stop me second guessing myself all the time and to prevent me from making silly mistakes. I’m sure I’ve already made a couple. All kinds of help, encouragement and criticisms are welcome.

So here is my setup...

Tent: BudBox Pro 75 cm x 75 cm x 200 cm, white lining.

Light: GN Telos 0006 on a 24/0 cycle. At about 93 cm from top of pots. The wire rope isn’t long enough to go any lower.

Ventilation: At the moment I have no ventilation other than having one of the tent’s vent flaps open. By tomorrow I should have a 4” RVK duct fan. Rhino carbon filter and a clip-on fan for circulation.

Pots: 12 Litre fabric pots.

Medium: Soil, split medium. BioBizz LightMix upper half and BioBizz All Mix lower half.

Nutrients: Just BioTabs tablets at the moment. I plan to drop them into soil at around Day 14. I am watering with well water. I’ll likely have to buy some calmag too.

Temp/Humidity: I’m still waiting for hygrometer to arrive so I don’t know humidity right now. Temps are reading 23 Celsius on a cheap thermometer with a faulty display that I don’t fully trust. It takes quite a lot time for the soil to dry so I guess the humidity is quite high. Ambient room temp outside of tent is comfortable.

Strain: All 4 plants are Sour Craic from Mephisto Genetics.

I germinated the seeds using paper towel method.
I am following Mephisto’s basic grow guide to keep things as simple as possible.
SC#1 popped after just a day, SC#2 and SC#3 two days and SC#4 three days.

While I was still waiting on [HASHTAG]#4[/HASHTAG] to germinate I went ahead and planted the other three seeds. They were planted in dry soil, covered with clear plastic cups and sprayed with water.

After doing a bit of reading I treated the SC#4 a bit different. Before putting into soil, I watered the soil till run-off and let it dry for 6 hours and then planted seed. I think the soil was still too wet when I planted the seed. She eventually broke through the soil but didn’t look very healthy. The seed leaf was kinda yellow and the true leaves looked a bit yellow too. But now she has grown larger than the others. The leaves are a lighter shade of green than the others, especially at the edges.

Here are some photos...

SC#1 Day 5... This was the first to germinate and the first to break through the soil. However, the rest of the plants have now caught up with her. She has a slightly darker shade of green than the others. The seed shell is still there. I want to take it off but I'm afraid that I might damage the seedling.
sc_1 (2).jpg

SC#2 Day 5
sc_2 (2).jpg

SC#3 Day 5
sc_3 (2).jpg

SC#4 Day 5... This one was planted in very damp soil and hasn’t been watered since. The soil is still damp and the pot still has some weight to it compared to the others. I have a stack of paper towels under the pot to dry it quicker. Her cotyledons are a lot bigger than the other seedlings, she's a lighter shade of green and she's a bit taller. The soil has compacted and there's a wee gap between the soil and pot.
sc_4 (2).jpg

So, how am I doing so far? I was expecting a bit more growth at day 5.

Am I giving them enough water? The pots feel light when I pick them up but the top inch of soil is moist.

Will they improve once I get proper ventilation sorted?

Cheers!

I was expecting a bit more growth at day 5.
Patience Grasshopper, patience. They are fine.
Before putting into soil, I watered the soil till run-off and let it dry for 6 hours and then planted seed
Good. That is how I did it when I was in soil. Very few problems. I let my pots dry well before another watering.
Will they improve once I get proper ventilation sorted?
It will be helpful. When I've planted seeds at the same time, I don't use my clip on fans for about two weeks.

Hello @Medulla_Oblongauto and Welcome :welcome: to AFN.....good shout starting a journal..:d5:..very helpful for looking back if problems or deficiency start....I have the same make/size tent but the silver inside....I am very happy with mine dude, I hope you like yours too :smiley1:....looks like you are doing fine :smiley1:....but shouldn't you have put the Biotabs in by now?......and done a pre-rinse with Bactrex and such?........I grow in coco so IDK if its different for soil :smiley1:

Hello @Medulla_Oblongauto and Welcome :welcome: to AFN.....good shout starting a journal..:d5:..very helpful for looking back if problems or deficiency start....I have the same make/size tent but the silver inside....I am very happy with mine dude, I hope you like yours too :smiley1:....looks like you are doing fine :smiley1:....but shouldn't you have put the Biotabs in by now?......and done a pre-rinse with Bactrex and such?........I grow in coco so IDK if its different for soil :smiley1:
Hey thanks. I am just following a basic grow guide downloaded from Mephisto's web site. They just use BioBizz for medium and BioTabs fertilizer tablets and nothing else.

They say to put the tabs in at 2-3 weeks. I guess maybe the BioBizz is enough to keep the seedlings happy for the first few weeks. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

For my next grow I'll probably start using more of the BioTabs line of products if this grow goes well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Hey thanks. I am just following a basic grow guide downloaded from Mephisto's web site. They just use BioBizz for medium and BioTabs fertilizer tablets and nothing else.

They say to put the tabs in at 2-3 weeks. I guess maybe the BioBizz is enough to keep the seedlings happy for the first few weeks. Maybe someone could shed some light on this?

For my next grow I'll probably start using more of the BioTabs line of products if this grow goes well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Aaahh..that's cool dude...:crying:...you were right....stick to the guide and don't mind me haha..:rofl:...Biotabs are a fantastic product, I agree....:smiley1::smiley1:

Cheers Archie. I've read that thread a few times before. Did you leave the light as it was and raise the pots under a box or something?

Lookin good bud, I just harvested 2 Sour Cracks and I’ve got 2 more to go

6f5c33673a486d9499e17cf1d9e58689.jpg

Pro tip

DONT mess up a sour crack... at All.. their SO fast that any mistake is detrimental

Mine had an issue and stayed kinda small.

I’ve got 2 more that are doing great. One in DWC as well

Don’t have individual shots atm, but here’s my whole tent :) their in there!

9bcbec62a5e998573e43a7bbf29ba1cf.jpg

Looking good bro

Water LIGHTLY for the first 2-3 weeks

They don’t need food yet

Keep it SIMPLE

good luck friend!! They are SPEEDY little bitches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look good @ClydeWalters, Thanks, trying not to make any but I think one of them was over-watered from the very beginning.

This is the fourth Sour Crack that I planted in the soil that was too damp. The leaves on her have started to twist a bit. She hasn't been water since the seed was planted. The moisture of the soil finally feels acceptable now. Will she recover?

SC#4 Day 8
SC4_Twist.jpg

The other three seem to be doing okay. Still tiny.

SC#1 Day 8. The hygrometer fell over on her so the stem is a bit wonky.
SC1_day8.jpg

Back