Mephisto all hype?

Reaction score
I just started to chop my first mephisto grow. Double grape first, man bear alien pig and skywalker another couple of weeks.
They grew amazing, no problems at all, nicest grow I've ever had aesthetically speaking. But that's were it ended, the buds on one dg was grand but the other two plants were small airy buds, a grown the same way in the same tent. During the grow a man bear alien pig went hermie and a double grape started growing bananas out if the top of the bud.
I have another 85 mephisto seeds, went mad after hearing so many good things. Don't really want to go another 3 months to be disappointed. Thinking of sticking to fastbuds.
I have the following seeds, any ideas of which have heavy dense yields? Anyone ever grown them?

bubblegum smile
Northern cheese haze
Man bear alien pig x 3 bears og
Sweet and smelly
Bear assed monkey
Pinot noir
Fugue state
beary white x 3 bears og
Fantastmo express x toof decay
pink livers
hubbabubbahaze
samsquanch og
bears og x double grape
Hubba bubba bear

My NCH was small af but it was my first grow. I would go with any of the OG straings. My 3BOG plant was decent size and structure. I would assume Sam OG would be good to.

I've had problems with hermie. I think some of it was me and my defoliation. I'm gonna try again without doing that and see but I think 3 of last 4 or 3 of last 5 meph strains hermied on me. And none of the other 20 plants from.other breeders during this time all grown same with same method same training same defoliation same temps same.lighting. Also same with double grape. Me and my bud call it double disappointment. All.my phenos were like that all small airy popcorn but I see plenty of others with nice buds... Only meph strain to do this to me fwiw!. I think theres just a pheno in there that's doing that. Also dont smell like grape at all..neither of mine did. Stick with it
Keep nitrogen low in beginning, training to minimum dont defoliate and you might not get hermied. I'm still trying to figure out why it's only meph doing this to me. Other than easy explainable others.
Samsquanch og hermied on me and pollinated a white widow XXL very close to it. I now have over 100.of those seeds and grew one out. Was nice.

I've had problems with hermie. I think some of it was me and my defoliation. I'm gonna try again without doing that and see but I think 3 of last 4 or 3 of last 5 meph strains hermied on me. And none of the other 20 plants from.other breeders during this time all grown same with same method same training same defoliation same temps same.lighting. Also same with double grape. Me and my bud call it double disappointment. All.my phenos were like that all small airy popcorn but I see plenty of others with nice buds... Only meph strain to do this to me fwiw!. I think theres just a pheno in there that's doing that. Also dont smell like grape at all..neither of mine did. Stick with it
Keep nitrogen low in beginning, training to minimum dont defoliate and you might not get hermied. I'm still trying to figure out why it's only meph doing this to me. Other than easy explainable others.
Samsquanch og hermied on me and pollinated a white widow XXL very close to it. I now have over 100.of those seeds and grew one out. Was nice.
Wow glad to hear it's not just me. I did zero training on them. Let them do their thing. So disappointed. Going to order fastbuds, buy one get one free at the moment. Have had only one hermie from fastbuds from all the grows.

Not the best thread to read after dropping $500 on Mephisto seeds a couple days ago.
I hear you, I've probably spent more to be honest. Lots of people seem to love them. It was my first grow using their genetics maybe you'll have better luck. I've never had a fastbuds disappoint me like that. Underwhelmed.

I've only done 4 Mephisto plants, 3 strains. No hermies I know of, but I did find a couple seeds in one plant, so there must have been at least one nanner that I didn't see. Given that the indoor grow was in the middle of winter, there is no chance of pollen from anywhere else.

Considering the torture I put all those plants through, having a couple seeds show up isn't too surprising to me. I damn near killed the CDLC cross I just chopped, so it will be a miracle if it didn't sneak a nanner in there somewhere too, but I have not seen any evidence yet. This time around I will not know whether the issue was nanners or sloppy pollen handling though because I am trying to make some seeds.

Have run 90% meph beans now for about 3 years, had some herm issues in the beginning, was 4 AM. 4 Am is a gg#4 cross, and gg4 is known for herm issues as a photo. Had I believe 3 total plants toss a sack. Haven't had an issue since, run 4 rounds a year + outdoor 2 rounds a year, probably in the area of 30 to 40 plants a year.
If you want to avoid herms, you need to research the parent strains. Photos have been polluted with herms from poor breeding practices over the decades, bringing those strains (Blueberry, gorilla glue, gelato etc) to autofower brings the unwanted hermaphrodite gene along. Unfortunately, most of the "big name" photo strains have the gene.
Like I said, haven't seen a herm in a run in a couple yrs, but am picky about what strains go in the tent and try and avoid strains that are known for hermaphrodite issues.

Had one plant, from AF portal that was showing male, I was looking for a male at the time, so I let it run... it was a true half and half. Balls and pistils in all the clusters. Culled that plant immediately. There's pics on here in one of my threads.

Some are able to pick the few sacks that pop and have no more issues on mephisto ladies, I cull the plant and move on.

I just started to chop my first mephisto grow. Double grape first, man bear alien pig and skywalker another couple of weeks.
They grew amazing, no problems at all, nicest grow I've ever had aesthetically speaking. But that's were it ended, the buds on one dg was grand but the other two plants were small airy buds, a grown the same way in the same tent. During the grow a man bear alien pig went hermie and a double grape started growing bananas out if the top of the bud.
I have another 85 mephisto seeds, went mad after hearing so many good things. Don't really want to go another 3 months to be disappointed. Thinking of sticking to fastbuds.
I have the following seeds, any ideas of which have heavy dense yields? Anyone ever grown them?

bubblegum smile
Northern cheese haze
Man bear alien pig x 3 bears og
Sweet and smelly
Bear assed monkey
Pinot noir
Fugue state
beary white x 3 bears og
Fantastmo express x toof decay
pink livers
hubbabubbahaze
samsquanch og
bears og x double grape
Hubba bubba bear
I've grown samsquanch og ... good yield, easy to grow---didnt pamper her, and very nice buzz. I will grow her again and again...my son kept raiding her within my multiple strain stash.
Definitely not hype.

Back