New Grower long time lurker does first grow

Reaction score
After I applied for the permit to grow legally I knew it would take about 4 months before it was approved and I could start growing. Over those 4 months I started out searching different discussion websites and eventually gravitated to AFN. I just liked the vibe here, and I like the idea of automatic strains.

I've already done my introduction here as well. And started a number of threads on different topics to get my understanding of things to a better level. I also setup a grow tent with lights and ventilation and dialed in the environment to do something useful while waiting. Even did a run of tomatoes in the tent that I eventually transplanted outside. I learned a few things from all of that pre-grow experimenting.

The details of this grow.
  • Tent is large 8x8 Secret Jardin. Also have a 2x2 for drying. Tents are in a detached garage that is insulated but not heated or cooled. I can exhaust hot air up to the outside vents in the roof of the garage too. Will be adding a big roof mounted wirly bird vent to be able to extract heat better and maintain better temps during the peak summer.
  • 2x600 watt HPS ballasts and fixtures with air cooled hoods ducted together in series for flowering.
  • 6 inch high CFM inline fan with and 8 inch charcoal filter starts the extraction of air, and that air is run thru the cool tubes and then to the outside.
  • I also have a Fusion 8 tube 24" long T5 bulb fixture for seedling and veg phase.
  • A few other T5 lights.
  • 4 inch inline fan with ducting bringing cool air in to the tent.
  • 1 big floor fan for circulation.
  • 1 large rain barrel that I keep 6.5 PHd tap water in for watering
  • Growing medium is coco that has been amended with lots of worm castings, good clean aged horse manure, vermiculite, and a light measure of a powdered organic mix of meals etc. It has been cooking for a couple of months.
  • Starting germination right now in solo cups in a dome with a heater mat and a coco substrate with EWC.
  • Will move to 5 and 7 gallon fabric pots once they outgrow the solo cups.
  • One thing I learned or felt was important from the tomato run is training is important. So I built a DIY adjustable height scrog table. It acts as a grow table to put the solo cups on top of when seedling/veg. Then when I switch to pots I’ll put them under the netting and be ready to do some scrogging.
  • I am licensed to grow 15 plants and could maybe do that if that big tent but I’m starting with 6 auto plants.
  • My goal is to have a variety of indica, sativa and high CBD strains so I can experiment.
  • 2xDP Think Different Auto
  • 2xDP CBD Auto White Widow
  • 1xDP Ultimate Auto
  • 1xDP Cinderella Jack Auto
I have not figured out what I’ll do, if anything, with a nute schedule since this soil should have it all.

So far I have one picture showing the overall tent growing area with 6 solo cups.

Would appreciate lots of advice from experienced growers with this first grow.

20170816_164101.jpg

Congratulations on starting your first grow Lunar

Fifteen plants, are you in Washington by chance?

I grow in straight Coco and find about three autos to be ideal and I still have to watch my two pound limits.

Haven't grown in anything like you're mix before, so I suppose you will mainly be watching this one for nutrient depletion.

>>so I suppose you will mainly be watching this one for nutrient depletion.

Thanks Jingo. You make it seem like you like to watch car accidents or something morbid :) But that is a good point you bring up and something I'm thinking about. I hope to avoid it, but might have to at least experience it a couple of times so I am able to recognize it early. I don't have anything specific in mind, but generally speaking I was thinking of using teas and top dressing. I just don't know the whens, how much etc.

Well usually you watch for to strong nutrient mix, but if that's the case you'll not have allot of options with them pre loaded. Not saying you have a problem, it's just going to take more thought and observation than a simple Coco grow.

now on day 5 since putting the beans in solo cups with very lightly amended coco based substrate to germinate.
4 out of 6 have germinated as of day 5.
The two Dutch Auto White Widow CBD's are up and in the front two cups in the picture.
There are 2 Dutch Think Different in the middle row that have not germinated yet. Not sure if this is an issue with my methods or the seeds are duds or they just need more time.
The last row has a Dutch Ultimate Auto and a Cinderella Jack Auto.

20170822_111426.jpg
20170822_111439.jpg

After I applied for the permit to grow legally I knew it would take about 4 months before it was approved and I could start growing. Over those 4 months I started out searching different discussion websites and eventually gravitated to AFN. I just liked the vibe here, and I like the idea of automatic strains.

I've already done my introduction here as well. And started a number of threads on different topics to get my understanding of things to a better level. I also setup a grow tent with lights and ventilation and dialed in the environment to do something useful while waiting. Even did a run of tomatoes in the tent that I eventually transplanted outside. I learned a few things from all of that pre-grow experimenting.

The details of this grow.
  • Tent is large 8x8 Secret Jardin. Also have a 2x2 for drying. Tents are in a detached garage that is insulated but not heated or cooled. I can exhaust hot air up to the outside vents in the roof of the garage too. Will be adding a big roof mounted wirly bird vent to be able to extract heat better and maintain better temps during the peak summer.
  • 2x600 watt HPS ballasts and fixtures with air cooled hoods ducted together in series for flowering.
  • 6 inch high CFM inline fan with and 8 inch charcoal filter starts the extraction of air, and that air is run thru the cool tubes and then to the outside.
  • I also have a Fusion 8 tube 24" long T5 bulb fixture for seedling and veg phase.
  • A few other T5 lights.
  • 4 inch inline fan with ducting bringing cool air in to the tent.
  • 1 big floor fan for circulation.
  • 1 large rain barrel that I keep 6.5 PHd tap water in for watering
  • Growing medium is coco that has been amended with lots of worm castings, good clean aged horse manure, vermiculite, and a light measure of a powdered organic mix of meals etc. It has been cooking for a couple of months.
  • Starting germination right now in solo cups in a dome with a heater mat and a coco substrate with EWC.
  • Will move to 5 and 7 gallon fabric pots once they outgrow the solo cups.
  • One thing I learned or felt was important from the tomato run is training is important. So I built a DIY adjustable height scrog table. It acts as a grow table to put the solo cups on top of when seedling/veg. Then when I switch to pots I’ll put them under the netting and be ready to do some scrogging.
  • I am licensed to grow 15 plants and could maybe do that if that big tent but I’m starting with 6 auto plants.
  • My goal is to have a variety of indica, sativa and high CBD strains so I can experiment.
  • 2xDP Think Different Auto
  • 2xDP CBD Auto White Widow
  • 1xDP Ultimate Auto
  • 1xDP Cinderella Jack Auto
I have not figured out what I’ll do, if anything, with a nute schedule since this soil should have it all.

So far I have one picture showing the overall tent growing area with 6 solo cups.

Would appreciate lots of advice from experienced growers with this first grow.

View attachment 793173

Wow that is one hell of a set up. :slap:

I had two Think Different that did not germinate for me. DP was good about it and asked how I germinated and are sending replacements which is nice of them.

One of the Ultimates did not look good at first but has rebounded. So I have 4 girls out of 6 that are now at a week old.

How do these look to you? I'm a total newbie. Barely grown more than a tomato plant before. So would like to know if these look on track for one week.

20170830_202041.jpg

Welcome to AFN! Congrats on your first grow! You've got yourself one hell of a set up there! Should be exciting! Your seedlings look good so far! Two of them seem to have droopy leaves but there could be many reasons/factors for that! Nothing much to worry about at this point! :welcome:

All right cool. Thanks Proph. Good to know now real issues at this point, other than some droop. Could be over watered by my friend while I was out for a couple of days. Going to let them dry out before next watering.

Back