Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Oct-Dec '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I was stoned as hell when I posted this to a YouTube video about using biochar in your Vermicomposting bin............... Your worm bin!
I hope he didn't mind the book! :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Proper use of biochar is key! There is absolutely no reason for biochar to lock up any kind of nutrients at all.
For use in the garden or lawn, it's best to hot compost biochar in your compost pile. For my large home garden I made compost piles in very long runs that had to be turned by a tractor with a front end loader. I also made biochar in large quantities.
When assembling in mixing the materials that formed the compost piles, I used compost tea to provide the moisture to get the compost pile to the proper moisture content. Biochar in compost Will definitely extend the heating period before needing to be turned.
I have a product that I've been using in my lawn and when I mix up my media for my container grown plants. It is a micronized and pelletized 50'50 of biochar and humic acid. In the lawn there is no real need to 'charge' this product. When moisture hits it it enslave breaks down into microscopic particles. The particles will slowly migrate through the soil and will be well charged and full nutrients by the time it actually reaches root zone. For my container grown plants I mix up everything in a large tote and pretty much treat it like a small compost pile and let all the ingredients cook for a period of time.

The company also makes a micronized and pelletized solely. biochar product. I don't think the humic acid would harm the worms, but I really don't want to take a chance with them doing so well since I bought an indoor bin from you guys. I've never raised worms in such a small container! I have other sources for the humic acid in my growing media.
With the particles being so small, I kind of think the grinding effect will be minimal. I already had a grit for the worms in the form of a very fine volcanic tuft. It's quite an excellent source of silica and it's even better once it's gone through the worms gut!
I think it would be quite a nice addition to further enrich my worm castings!

And by myself, so I don't have a whole lot of scraps to go in the worm bin. With the health of my worms and quality of the castings as an utmost foresight, I have started making my own food to feed the worms high quality feed. I use your dry worm food as a base. I add ingredients with the plant's need in mind from the worm castings and the worms also like to eat. This last batch had avocados, bananas And the leftover material from making FFJ........ Fermented fruit juice, Which is a very good homemade liquid fertilizer. And it's made from many types of fruit! After the fermentation has finished And you drain off the liquid material, you have quite a bit of vegetative matter. I have been adding this to my tote when I mix up my media to use it up I think it's a little bit better usage of it
This is where I add my volcanic tuft and where I will be adding the biochar. I use your worm food to get the consistency where I like it and then I freeze the concoction That I don't feed to the worms that day.
The worms absolutely love it! I break it up and spread it across the top but I don't mix it in. It will be way too easy for it to start heating up if I mixed it in.

Day 14 Jean-O's and Sawney's Girls are looking better couple the girls got a haircut and everyone got a foliar feed kelp, fulvic, and yucca

IMG_7247.jpeg

Jean-O's Root Beer Float f4

IMG_7245.jpeg

Jean-O's Root Beer Float f4

IMG_7244.jpeg

Sawney's Deadite

IMG_7243.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back