Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lincoln makes very nice machine:worship:... and you hit the nail right on the head even when i am running a bad weld normally it is wire feeding poorly issue's always helps not to have any bends in your torch lead... Either way sounds like you got it down quite well sealing up tanks can be a pita:bow::toke:
I got it done, but I'll bet that I spent as much time on chasing the microscopic pinholes as I did on the main welding.

You might be interested in one other wrinkle of that project. I finished the tank up, took it to the boat, and it didn't quite fit. The mount location was a complicated shape, rounded hull rising on the sides, and rising toward the stern, and the tank was tapered in both directions to fit the hull. I managed to increase the tank volume by about ten gallons by fitting the hull better than the original. However, even with the templates I made, the final tank almost touched the steering mechanics below the cockpit deck - too close for comfort, flex in the cockpit floor might jam the steering. Fitting the tank to the hull was a complicated three dimensional puzzle. Anyway, I brought the tank home, cut an inch off the top (think about that - the baffles penetrated the top and were welded to it), and redid the entire top of the tank, including the baffles. An interesting adjustment. :biggrin: Some of the scrap is now incorporated in my bike rack. A piece of aluminum does not have to be that big to earn a place in the stash. :biggrin:

I use a spool gun for aluminum, I've never tried pushing aluminum wire through the normal wire lead. As I understand it, 5056 might manage, but the softer wire would be a pain, so I never even tried. So far, the gun has worked well once I got the wire feed up so that I didn't burn so many tips. Good thing I enjoy learning. :pighug:

I wasn't kidding about taco Tuesday!

IMG_20230124_161907796.jpg
IMG_20230124_162850974.jpg

IMG_20230124_163051844.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back