Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a show once about dogs and at least with somethier uncanny ability to know when someone was due home. People wondered if they could sense/tell time.
It's turned out (or at least thier idea was) dogs sense of smell is so amazing that they van sense the "density/quantity" of their owners scent molecules. When it reached some threshold they had equated that when they would arrive back home
There are work dogs that can detect a human body under 40 feet of water. I think it is difficult for us to imagine what that sense of smell is like. We can recognize three wavelengths of light. The many thousands of colors our brain can distinguish come from recognizing the ratios of those three colors. Dogs' noses have hundreds of different detectors in their nose. And a brain structured to interpret the information. :pighug:

Thanks for the reps happy hump day @JP1 @mdabber @Mañ'O'Green @Mossy @Talonxracer :thanks::bighug:

1673450541476.gif

Actually, the human eye can detect and process wavelenghts from 380-700 Nanometers.
:d5:
My apologies, I didn't word carefully enough. There are only three different kinds of rod receptors in our eyes. Each does, as you point out, respond to a broad range of wavelengths, but the only information passed to our brain is the balance between the signals from these three different receptors. Here is an illustration I came up with on line:

1673450434565.png

The three different colored lines show sensitivity of the three receptor types to different wavelengths. As I understand it, the thousands of colors our brains recognize result from nothing more than the balance between signals from these three receptor types. If receptor S is firing like crazy relative to the other two, we perceive blue. How warm a blue will depend on just how big the small signal from H is. If both S and H are going like crazy and M is doing nada, somebody is still using one of them blurple lights. :biggrin:

Dogs have hundreds of different receptor types in their noses, each capable of evaluating the presence of specific molecule types in the air. The information available to dog brains about smells dwarfs the information that produces thousands of colors for us. :pighug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back