Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
:pighug: Aw...Bless your Massive Heart........:bighug:....
Pfft this old thing

the-simpsons-bart-simpson.gif

My first real concert was Beck, with Hank Williams III opening. I was in 5th grade (around 2000) and went with my Dad. Was also the first time I smelled weed. well, first time I made the connection of what the somehow familiar smell was, lol.

I've noticed a lot of the leading living soil people have moved away from teas in favor of just using good compost, mulch and cover crop. Hard to be sure what you're brewing up, even if you're 100% sure of your inputs.
I think a lot that line of thought comes from one study a female researcher tht was on a canna talk vid. Her conclusions are a bit screwy, but they are pretty much based in labor cost efficiency.

Basically, her conclusion is that just top dressing is more efficient and less labor-intensive. Those conclusions are correct................on large scale. It's not really so impactful on a home grower or even a small scale boutique operation. Ya just do BOTH! Using both is just taking it to a higher level. I don't throw away the used compost used in brewing. It goes right on top of the pots or in the garden.

The line about ' ya don't know WHAT you're brewing' is true, but with one big caveat. If you have bad 'bugs' in the compost ya brew, you'd have bad bugs in the compost that you top dressed! All commercial compost are hot composted. Properly composted material will have the pathogens killed. Properly brewed teas with properly composted material will favor the blooming of the good 'bugs'.
Use your nose when working with compost. Don't use it if it smells 'off'!

I've made HUGE batches of compost teas for my Costal Bermuda hay fields and large garden, and never had any pathogen problem in all the decades I had my farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back