June 2019 Technical Issues (why we keep going down)

Son of Hobbes

High of the Tiger
Staff member
AFN Admin
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Website
www.autoflower.org
Hey everyone, I think a good explanation is in order here.

We recently switched to a new host from the existing provider AFN was on and quite honestly, it's been a literal nightmare since the move. We haven't gotten any of the support promised and have been plagued with intermittent downtime from the new host and hardware issues. What we thought was a good calculated decision turned out to be the wrong choice (total blindside, this was a good friend of one of our owners who runs a data center,) but we're actively working on fixing things up, and we're serious about no more "half measures."

As of this morning, we've purchased a new dedicated server and gone with a very trusted and recommended host (well known, great historical uptime, etc) and we're going to be migrating the site over in the next week with a most current backup (which we'll try to give a good 24 hour notice on.) There's a 72 hour deployment window on the new box, so we'll have to wait until it's ready at the data center for us to get going, but that's the gameplan (and we don't like paying in two places, so we're going to hurry our butts up.)

Our new dev server is officially up and we're also starting the dry run upgrade process to bring AFN on it's current forum software version (old) to the latest and greatest. Our goal is to have this dry run successfully completed within the next week to the point where we're feeling confident, then taking AFN down officially for the technical upgrade (likely over a weekend, as the new version of the forum software isn't compatible with a lot of the add-on's we have currently run, so it's going to take a little sweat and elbow grease to get things up and pretty...) It's a necessary evil but good news is, I've literally just built out the same new version on our new sister site, High of the Tiger (https://www.highofthetiger.com), so knock on wood, rub those lucky rabbits feet, tack a horseshoe over your door openings, but we've got some good experience in on the new software already.

If you haven't checked it out yet, we're actively developing a new sister-site to AFN called High of the Tiger, or HOTT, which is being built out specifically for our competitive grow battles and product testing program. We're also using HOTT as a backup meeting place for if AFN goes down, and vice versa.

But we're aware of the issues we've been having and we're sorry that the site's been so unpredictable in uptime lately; we're all extremely frustrated with the experience with the current host, but we have a gameplan in place, things set into motion, and we're working on setting deadlines and goals for some of these things so they just get done already.

And to set the record straight on the rumor (we hear this every single time we go down,) but no were weren't attacked or hacked lol (maybe our sensibilities and pride, but that's about it.)

Thank you all for supporting us, for all the messages on Facebook, IG, Twitter, asking if we're alright or what's wrong with the site, and we hope to get this ship back on course and quickly!

If we have any AFN down time..Latest news and updates will be at HOTT

https://www.highofthetiger.com/index.php?referrer=20

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries here, mainly because HOTT is HOT when you start getting the hang of things. Love the dark layout and live chats with awesome emojis. :slap:

I'd like to second this about the live chat on HOTT. I really like the IRC feel and think it's more interactive. I spent over an hour there chatting today with AFN members that I wouldn't have had the chance too engage with otherwise. @Wawashell , @bushmasterar15 , @Dichoti, @idiopathic neuropathy @the green bandit and more.

Just wanted to put that out there , would love to see it on AFN as well in the future.

Btw, my name is Zogs on the HoTT forum.

I'd like to second this about the live chat on HOTT. I really like the IRC feel and think it's more interactive. I spent over an hour there chatting today with AFN members that I wouldn't have had the chance too engage with otherwise. @Wawashell , @bushmasterar15 , @Dichoti, @idiopathic neuropathy @the green bandit and more.

Just wanted to put that out there , would love to see it on AFN as well in the future.

Btw, my name is Zogs on the HoTT forum.

It is going to Happen @MesaBoogie ..:headbang:..that..and a move to Canadian servers is the reason we had to update.
@Son of Hobbes tried to install the live chat box and our old system was too cranky to cope.

Quite a few of the updates you see on HOTT will appear on AFN when we complete the update.
HOTT will be the Testing Ground for stuff that we'd like to see on AFN.
Try it there first..if it Works..update AFN with it. :pass:

I've heard there will be live video chat too ..for the Legals..:biggrin:..but again..it will probably be trotted out/tested at HOTT first..

No worries here, mainly because HOTT is HOT when you start getting the hang of things. Love the dark layout and live chats with awesome emojis. :slap:

Yeah @STILLSMOKIN ...:pass:..took me a coupe of days to get Used to it...:biggrin:..my first mail was to Hobbsey saying I Think I'm Lost...:crying:..so I opened the Cannabis Cafe...:pass:..point of reference...:dragon4:..if anyone signs up and gets Lost...they Know we are going to be in the Cafe...

It is going to Happen @MesaBoogie ..:headbang:..that..and a move to Canadian servers is the reason we had to update.
@Son of Hobbes tried to install the live chat box and our old system was too cranky to cope.

Quite a few of the updates you see on HOTT will appear on AFN when we complete the update.

I've heard there will be live video chat too ..for the Legals..:biggrin:..but again..it will probably be trotted out/tested at HOTT first..

Yeah @STILLSMOKIN ...:pass:..took me a coupe of days to get Used to it...:biggrin:..my first mail was to Hobbsey saying I Think I'm Lost...:crying:..so I opened the Cannabis Cafe...:pass:..point of reference...:dragon4:..if anyone signs up and gets Lost...they Know we are going to be in the Cafe...

Well let me be the first to welcome AFN home to Canada eh :welcome: We will have to make sure to have some poutine waiting for you.

Be sure to bring your Toque, Bunny Hugs, Mukluks, and a Hockey stick. And sorry you will have to leave your weed on the other side of the border. Don't worry, we have lots.

Last edited:

Canada, eh?

Back