Increasing medium PH in organics

Reaction score
Full organics in 4-5 gal pots of peat moss mix.
Hanna soil PH pen showing results of 4.5-5.5.
Been feeding 6.0-6.3 water. Going to now increase to PH 7 water.

Have oyster shell flour and hardwood ash and dolomite lime on hand.

Which one should i use and how much? i dont want to burn my plant or have a film of dolomite just beneath the soil.

Last edited:
I would try adjusting by upping the nutrient solution’s ph closer to 7ish like you mentioned. I had the opposite problem last grow where my soil was upper 7’s and I had to feed a 5.7-5.9 ph solution to bring it down and then 6.2-6.4ph to maintain once close enough. I’m assuming you must be noticing plant issues and therefore are confident the Hanna meter is accurate, if there wasn’t any visible issues I’d be hesitant to be to drastic in any move. No experience using dry amendments to alter ph during the grow but starting small if you go that route seems advisable

I would try adjusting by upping the nutrient solution’s ph closer to 7ish like you mentioned. I had the opposite problem last grow where my soil was upper 7’s and I had to feed a 5.7-5.9 ph solution to bring it down and then 6.2-6.4ph to maintain once close enough. I’m assuming you must be noticing plant issues and therefore are confident the Hanna meter is accurate, if there wasn’t any visible issues I’d be hesitant to be to drastic in any move. No experience using dry amendments to alter ph during the grow but starting small if you go that route seems advisable

Yes, wont be doing anything drastic. I know how that ends lol.

I will try as you have have said, water at PH 7 and see if that helps.

Hanna meter seems legit. Brand new and calibrated and working fine imo. Some yellowing like magnesium deficiency.

You could put some dolomite lime in the water and let it dissolve, but simply using 7.0 water should help greatly.

Any idea how much dolomite lime to try dissolve per L?

Maybe overall try to add 5g or 10g dolomite lime per 4 gals of soil or is it too much?

Any idea how much dolomite lime to try dissolve per L?

Maybe overall try to add 5g or 10g dolomite lime per 4 gals of soil or is it too much?
"Full organics in 4-5 gal pots of peat moss mix."

Need to know more about this above statement.^^^
What soil is it or did you mix it yourself?

A healthy organic soil will regulate its own ph... so something must be amiss...
I occasionally bubble up a nice ewc tea and add mollases and dolomite lime to it if i see the need.

"Full organics in 4-5 gal pots of peat moss mix."

Need to know more about this above statement.^^^
What soil is it or did you mix it yourself?

A healthy organic soil will regulate its own ph... so something must be amiss...
I occasionally bubble up a nice ewc tea and add mollases and dolomite lime to it if i see the need.

Brand: Peatman
PH : 5.5-6.5
30% black peat + 50% white peat
Perlite 20% + Mud 1.4 kg
Peat resolution 0-20 mm.
NPK (14:16:18) 0.8 kg/m3
Wetting agent + Microelements 50 g/m3

Feed: Pure water for 2 weeks after transplant and last 2 feeds (every 3 days) were Biobizz light mix week 4 dosages. Still in veg so shouldnt have done that maybe, but it was looking hungry and pale at that stage so thought it wouldnt mind and flipping to flower asap. Never any runoff. The biobizz feeds didnt seem to have had much impact, it got a bit darker green maybe, but otherwise slowly down hill in similar fashion.

Just checked again and PH is showing 4.9-5.3 PH in different spots. All of the various pre bagged soils Im testing right now have a similar PH and all other plants are pretty healthy, as was this until 7-10 days ago, which is when i guessed the soil nutes ran out anyway, so perhaps its just a deficiency, but still such a low PH doesnt seem ideal for growth.

Main symptoms are the yellowing and wrinkled/crinkled cut styled leaves.

1671779619218.png

1671779641373.png

1671779651263.png

1671779694932.png

1671779869520.png

Last edited:
Any help truly appreciated right about now :D

The same yellowing and and crinkled leaves problem getting progressively worse. Im about to water/feed and not sure what to do?

Feels like last chance to save her as im flowering soon.

Last edited:
How are you testing soil ph?

Back