How to use wood moisture meter?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I saw the post on here about Grove Bags, and saw on one of the pages a post about using a wood moisture meter to make sure the moisture is correct. I use grove bags, so I got one of the meters to be able to test my moisture. Now to my questions. How do you measure the moisture?? I have seem contradictory information. Some individuals suggest taking moisture of the stem, while others say just stick it in your fattest bud. Also at what point do you say the dry is finished? Here's my situation. I have two plants that hung for 2 days at 60F/45RH. The next 4 days it was 60/60. I expected the plants to take a while to dry, but upon checking them with them moisture meter, the big yielding plant (with small colas) registered at about 8-9% moisture. The small yielding plant(which has fat colas) is registering at about 18-19% moisture. They are both hanging in the same tent. Does this seem right? I feel like the plant with more mass (big yield small colas) should dry slower, but according to my meter its already done.

I wouldn't think a wood moisture meter would be very accurate for what we do. I just drop an inexpensive hygrometer in the bag or jar.
Screenshot_20220228-130440_Samsung Internet.jpg

Yes, The less dense colas can dry way faster than the dense ones. Get them in a Grove bag ASAP with one of those little hygrometers if less than 58% RH use a Boost or Boveda to add moisture back in. I use both tools. The wood meter gets me close. Then I fine tune with the Hygrometers.

Yes, The less dense colas can dry way faster than the dense ones. Get them in a Grove bag ASAP with one of those little hygrometers if less than 58% RH use a Boost or Boveda to add moisture back in. I use both tools. The wood meter gets me close. Then I fine tune with the Hygrometers.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! As a new grower it did not occur to me that the denser a cola is, the longer it will take to dry. I will be getting that plant trimmed and into Grove bags within the next hour or two:weed::thumbsup:.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply! As a new grower it did not occur to me that the denser a cola is, the longer it will take to dry. I will be getting that plant trimmed and into Grove bags within the next hour or two:weed::thumbsup:.

Update for anyone who stops by this post. I have finished trimming and bagging my plant. This is the second plant I have ever harvested in my life. It was a Northern Lights auto from Growers Choice Seeds(Ik not a great breeder) and I pulled 28.3 grams of dense premium colas(premium for a new grower anyway, looked on par/slightly better than my medical dispensary), 55.8 grams of some great stuff, and then 72 grams total of larf and small buds :woohoo: :woohoo1: . This is a huge improvement from my first plant, not only in yield, but also quality. My last plant(and first ever) gave me 2.5 ounces of larf, and then another 1.5 ounces of really larfy larf. So 4 ounces and all low quality. This grow ended up being 5.6 ounces, so 3 ounces of high quality bud, and another 2.6 ounces of bud to use to make hash, and then turn into edibles. Thank you everyone who gave advice and helped along the way! This is by far my favorite, and the most helpful autoflower community on the internet.

Back