All curing buds smell like mint?

Is there any general consensus among growers on whether Grove bags should be burped or not? What is the difference, if any, when don't burp/air out as recommended vs. regularly burping?
My strawburried Kush will be ready for grove bags in a few days looks like I have an experiment to run. I'll get it to 60% and not open it for a few weeks see if I have the same minty smell.

Is the mint smell from reused bags, or new ones?

The bags are either creating the smell, or more likely preserving those terpenes that would otherwise be lost.

Last edited:
Is the mint smell from reused bags, or new ones?
They are new bags. But you just gave me the idea to smell the other empty new bags and sure enough they have that same minty smell! I'm going to open all the new ones up and air them out see if I can get that smell away before I bag anymore.

Update. Problem solved! The grove bags came new with the minty scent so I washed the new ones I have out and air dried them. Smell gone! Weird still but at least it's not my buds smelling that way. Appreciate the feedback and support!

Update. Problem solved! The grove bags came new with the minty scent so I washed the new ones I have out and air dried them. Smell gone! Weird still but at least it's not my buds smelling that way. Appreciate the feedback and support!
Did you buy them direct from grove bags? I've been through hundreds of them and have never got a smell from the bags :shrug:

Did you buy them direct from grove bags? I've been through hundreds of them and have never got a smell from the bags :shrug:
Yeah he got them direct. I know what he’s talking about as I’ve experienced a light odor occasionally but I never noticed minty, it just smelled like “new bag” in the same sense a car smells new. But I’ve never had it extend to the buds. I rarely smoke straight from the grove bag though, I have a stash jar on my desk and when low I put some fresh on the bottom so I’m usually smoking the bud maybe 3-4 days later. Kick ass terps come out of hiding 😶‍🌫️

(I should also add I’m still using the same 12 bags I bought in Feb ‘22, new smell left loooooong time ago)

Yea direct from company. After a quick wash though the smell went away so it turned out not to be a big deal like I was thinking which is good. Won't keep me from using them for sure and to specify the mint smell did not transfer to my buds when separated from the bag their distinct smell came right back. So I'll just do a quick wash and problem will be gone!

Any smellable off-gassing or residual odors exuding from unused/new Grove bags is contamination, adulteration, shouldn't be there; and is worse when don't know what it is.

From my familiarity with multi-layer laminated bags used very widely in the (bio)pharmaceutical industry, makes me wonder about leachable & extractables (L&E; what can diffuse out of the bags), an unending safety/regulatory concern for the industry. This includes residual solvents (carcinogens such as benzene?), partially polymerized content (e.g., reason silicone is flexible is 30-40% or more is unreacted liquid silicone), undesired polymerization reactants, residual polymerization catalysts, the adhesives and chemically-reacting cross-linkers used (to 'tie' the layers of laminated plastics together), the lubricants and 'slip agents' used to prevent sheets from sticking to rollers and themselves, antioxidants, inner and outer surface polishes/coatings used, what about the printing (nasty solvents used?), etc.

As a Grove bag user, I want to know what is the odor multiple users have reported? And what can Grove tell us about related safety/toxicity? How should end users deal with the problem, and are smelly bags returnable (even if used? returnable to Grove or the seller?), will there be a recall.........etc.

Something else to perhaps ask Grove: Do the bags and materials and processes used meet US and/or EU biopharmaceutical manufacturing/GMP or food grade? For ex., do the bags meet FDA food contact/additive or USP/BPSA (pharma industry) standards? Have any leachate/extractables analytical and safety/toxicity testing and assessments been done with the smelly bags, or with the bags at all?

Hopefully, the minty smell is just say from them using a vegetable oil/natural-type printing ink or something harmless like that.

Last edited:
Any smellable off-gassing or residual odors exuding from unused/new Grove bags is contamination, adulteration, shouldn't be there; and is worse when don't know what it is.

From my familiarity with multi-layer laminated bags used very widely in the (bio)pharmaceutical industry, makes me wonder about leachable & extractables (L&E; what can diffuse out of the bags), an unending safety/regulatory concern for the industry. This includes residual solvents (carcinogens such as benzene?), partially polymerized content (e.g., reason silicone is flexible is 30-40% or more is unreacted liquid silicone), undesired polymerization reactants, residual polymerization catalysts, the adhesives and chemically-reacting cross-linkers used (to 'tie' the layers of laminated plastics together), the lubricants and 'slip agents' used to prevent sheets from sticking to rollers and themselves, antioxidants, inner and outer surface polishes/coatings used, what about the printing (nasty solvents used?), etc.

As a Grove bag user, I want to know what is the odor multiple users have reported? And what can Grove tell us about related safety/toxicity? How should end users deal with the problem, and are smelly bags returnable (even if used? returnable to Grove or the seller?), will there be a recall.........etc.

Something else to perhaps ask Grove: Do the bags and materials and processes used meet US and/or EU biopharmaceutical manufacturing/GMP or food grade? For ex., do the bags meet FDA food contact/additive standards? Have any leachate/extractables analytical and safety/toxicity testing and assessments been done with the bags?
Yeah I’d probably just clean them, but I’m not known for having a cautious disposition.

Back