Live Stoners Hop Latent Viroid (HLVd)

WildBill

TRYING TO GO "FULL TEETEE!"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Hop Latent Viroid (HLVd)
A video on the topic popped up in my video stream and generated this posting.

What is Hop Latent Viroid?

HLVd is commonly mislabeled as a virus but is actually a viroid. Viroids, like viruses, are made of nucleic acid but lack the protein shell that viruses have. Viroids are much smaller than viruses, but like viruses, they are not living organisms. Viroids are single-stranded genetic material that cause a systemic infection in living things. HLVd was first diagnosed in hop plants (hence the name), which share the same family as cannabis. HLVd was first diagnosed in cannabis five years ago, but the symptoms of the resulting Dudding Disease were seen in cannabis years before it was known to affect cannabis crops.
You can read more about it here: https://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/growing/hop-latent-viroid/

So here is the video that generated this posting:

Like one response, I think the title of the video is quite Click baity. I think if it was actually 99% of the home grows were infected with it, we would have endless examples here on this forum.
And regrettably, I think there is a reason for that title. It seems that Dr. Saldi, the guest of the video, is running a business testing for this viroid. With my natural 'questioning tendencies', In my mind this lays a lot of doubt upon what information this doctor gives! And I think that is absolute shame. I'm pretty sure there is some accurate information there that we could utilize, but in my mind there would always a doubt to the validity.

Tell me what you think about the video!

I also think this is a very important topic that should be discussed. I think this could be very impactful upon all of us. I think there should be new standards that breeders and seed makers should adopt, if they're not already doing it now.
And I think that's one of the myriad of topics that we could discuss in this thread.

Are small scale indoor growers at risk? For these growers presumably the only external source of cannabis tissue and viroids is seeds(?). Are commercial auto seeds known to be a vector/carrier of HLVd infection? Or are viroids mostly a problem for those not growing from seeds, particularly photo growers with their maintaining and cloning mother plants/cuttings; breeders spreading pollen among plants; and those sharing materials with other growers?

Last edited:
I'd bet @Son of Hobbes has some paperwork on this :pass: Not the 1st time it's been brought u
Hopefully he or someone will have some good input.
Are small scale indoor growers at risk? For these growers presumably the only external source of cannabis tissue and viroids is seeds(?). Are commercial auto seeds known to be a vector/carrier of HLVd infection? Or are viroids mostly a problem for those not growing from seeds, particularly photo growers with their maintaining and cloning mother plants/cuttings; breeders spreading pollen among plants; and those sharing materials with other growers?
All very good questions, man!

It seems that seeds would be the only risk for indoor home growers. Seeds are generally formed to be sterile inside, at least in terms of cellular microbes (bacteria, fungi) but I don't know whether seed tissue is 'sterile' in terms of viruses, viroids, etc. If the concern is just external/surface seed contamination, the solution is as simple as exposing seeds to dilute hydrogen peroxide prior to use. If the seed tissue itself is infected, the plant will simply remain infected.

I presume if seeds were a significant vector of these or other pathogens, it'd be common knowledge. ]The seed sellers would be hyping viroid-free seeds].

Some interesting read for you guys.

Same vid you stuck in #LiveStoners @WildBill .....?...... :headbang:

@tobe ...:bighug:.... I've seen it in the US...have you heard or seen it in the EU at all...?..
Yes @Mossy
One guy in Germany wanted to use some cuts from the US for breeding. After a test he put all plants in the bin. The cuts and some of the offspring seeds was infected.

Same vid you stuck in #LiveStoners @WildBill .....?...... :headbang:

@tobe ...:bighug:.... I've seen it in the US...have you heard or seen it in the EU at all...?..
Well, when it didn't get that much of a response, I felt the topic was important enough that it needed its own thread.

I think it raises some issues that are not being addressed in the industry. I think the most important issue is breeders and seed makers taking precautions not to spread this vyroid.

Well, when it didn't get that much of a response, I felt the topic was important enough that it needed its own thread.

I think it raises some issues that are not being addressed in the industry. I think the most important issue is breeders and seed makers taking precautions not to spread this vyroid.
Yes you a right bro , I only used tested cuts for breeding.

Back