New Grower Hog's First Perpetual Garden

My First Photoperiod Grow, what strain(s)? I've got room for 2 plants, what do yall think?

• CSI Humboldt: Purple Hindu Kush x Chemdog D

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Twenty20 Mendocino: Avenue of the Giants

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Humboldt Seed Co: Pineapple Muffin

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • CSI Humboldt: Headband x Bubblegum

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • CSI Humboldt: Gorilla Glue x Headband

• CSI Humboldt: Chemdog D S1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ace Seeds: Zamadelica x Kali China

• CSi Humboldt: Big Bad Wolf 2.0 (Chem 91 x Chem D

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • CSI Humboldt: Obama Care (Chem D x Obama Kush)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • CSI Humboldt: Chem # 1 x GG4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pirates of the Emeral Triangle: Pine Tar Kush

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Flower week 10: Dread Bread Harvest
Slacking on updates, but I Chopped Avenue of the Giants last Thursday and its in Grove bags.
Tonight I took down the 2 Dread Breads. Despite issues, I'll have plenty of bud to get me through to next harvest. Still 2 plants left to go: Pine Tar Kush and Headband x Bubblegum
20230903_223410.jpg

Photoperiod Grow Finished
Pine Tar Kush and Headband x Bubblegum are Chopped and drying. Looking like they'll be mostly for dry ice/bubble hash, while Dread Bread and Ave will be for smokable flower.

The Dread Breads are awaiting a final trim before going in to grove bags. Super strong acrid/sour + citrus/mango nose and flavor. Great sandy resin, shoukd make excellent quality bubble hash. Solid hybrid effects, moderate pain relief and good mood/focus enhancement without being speedy.

Ave of the Giants is probably the best I've grown so far! Gas and Overripe Berry scents make people say 'goddam gimme some of that' when I crack a jar, and the flavor translates. I think that's the main quality difference I see between photos and autos: the smell+flavor translation (though my dry process has been over 10 days this time which could be the reason) I think maybe the longer veg/flower times allows the plant to make less Volatile forms of terpenes and cannabinoids, but who really knows.

Sorry I've been inactive for awhile, definitely ready for a break from growing. I'll be throwing it into high gear mid October with a photo tent, auto tent, and my little pollen chucking tent.
Once I finish the 2x4 autos I'll close this journal. Been a solid 15 months of perpetual growing, and I've learned so much! Thanks to everyone who has followed along amd offered advice!

No real standard rules, don't really know if a particular plant will wash well until you do it. Comes down to what I'm willing to trim and how much I enjoy the smoke. There are a couple things I look at though:

- Bud structure:
• density + calyx:leaf ratio. More dense bud with less leaf is easier to trim for flower. Less dense and more leaf is a PITA to trim and i usually find the smoke more harsh/less enjoyable. Plus, the open flower structure lends itself to bubble hash. Since there's more exposed surface area it's easier to knock off more trichomes vs. a dense bud
- Resin Type
• Sandy, seems best for bubble hash, resin falls off the plant easily.
•Sticky, better for rosin and maybe dry ice hash. Tends to gum up the bubble bags in water hash method and lose yield
•Greasy, not good for water hash either, but typically good for rosin

All of this is from limited experience mind you, but also informed by what research I've done. Hope it helps!

Back