New Grower help with first tent grow???

tripaholic88

Cannabis And Entheogen Enthusiast
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Blue dream
Ok so i Have done a cfl grow about 4 years back from 3 of 5 bagseeds that made it to about 4 weeks into flower that was a smooth/easy grow with no problems when i had to trash the project. and to be honest i was half assing the grow and didnt have the funds to do a proper grow.. well fast forward and the time is right so i wanna make sure i got the right equipment now. im planning on the apollo 4'x4'x6.6' or the 3'x3'x6' i wanna do the 4x4 but i donno if im gonna have the "headspace" for it so i might need the 3x3 which is 6-7" shorter... the 3x3 is $87 and the 4x4 is $104
the lighting i was looking at getting was a 6" Air Cool hood 23" x 17" w/ glass cover 400 watt HPS/MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit Dimm Green House - iPower from ebay for $139
which brings me to the fan/filter will i need it with a 400w light and if so what would you reccomend that is a fair price for an average unit... i dont have the funds to do top of the line but i want everything to work in uison and produce the best quality that i can.
If i go with the 3x3 i will probably do 3 plants at a time and 4 at a time with the 4x4 unless you have a better suggestion...
As for Nutes i acquired the FoxFarm soil trio. i also got (4) 3Gal smart pots along with a Rapitest Mini pH Tester. What would you suggest as far as substrate? I believe i have some perlite and vermiculite laying around from my last mushroom project, would they be useful? anything im missing?
And LAST but NOT LEAST i ordered the following seeds already and also got some GREAT free seeds. i will grow the autos together but i dont know how many in the tent per grow...
1 X Pyramid Seeds - Auto Purple
1 X Fast Buds - LSD-25 Auto
1 X Dr Krippling - Krippleberry Auto
1 X Dr Krippling - Bubba Yum Auto
1 X Seedsman - Auto Great White
1 X West Coast OG Auto
1 X Cream of the Crop - Narcotic Kush Auto
1 X Pyramid Seeds - Auto Super Hash
1 X Free Barney's Farm Critical Kush
1 X Free Barney's Farm Blue Cheese
1 X Free Barney's Farm Pineapple Chunk
1 X Free Barney's Farm Liberty Haze

ANY suggestions are APPRECIATED that goes for constructive criticism as well!

Hey dude. First thing you do is measure your space, make sure you can fit the right tent in there. If you go 3x3 i would go 400w hps with a 4 inch air cooled hood. Then pick up a 4 inch extraction fan and filter kit- it'll be much cheaper than a 6 inch kit!

good luck @tripaholic88 - that seed menu looks fantastic!
thank you @Yozhik i tried to get a little bit of everything some purple(lsd and auto purple) some blueberry(krippleberry) my highschool "great white buffalo" lol a bubble gum, a white strain, the super hash for concentrates and obv some daytime and nighttime medicine.. i kinda covered all the aspects i wanted to when doing my first non bagseed grow :)

Last edited:
Hey dude. First thing you do is measure your space, make sure you can fit the right tent in there. If you go 3x3 i would go 400w hps with a 4 inch air cooled hood. Then pick up a 4 inch extraction fan and filter kit- it'll be much cheaper than a 6 inch kit!
ok @sanguine the thing is im about to move in about a month and a half and wanted to have most of the stuff i need so after i move everything in the new apt i can set up and get started right away... unless we dont move for another 3-4 months then the 4x4 would fit just fine... im assuming i need the 6'' cool tube for a 4x4 and not a 4''? also i searched for a 4" cool tube and couldnt find a complete ballast setup any help with a link?

Last edited:
Sorry dude i dont think you even get a 4 inch cool tube. In a 4x4 i would go with 5 inch cool tube and fan kit

Sorry dude i dont think you even get a 4 inch cool tube. In a 4x4 i would go with 5 inch cool tube and fan kit

ok that explains why... i think im just gonna do the 4x4 with the 6" cool tube that i listed in the first post.. with the fan could i do a VenTech 4" Inline Duct Booster Blower Fan with 440CFM then an increaser/reducer to 6" to attach to the cool tube? also what carbon filter with that vent setup? how many autos would you guys put n a 4x4?

Yea well if your going with that fan and light you wouldnt need a reducer, just a 6 inch filter.
Depends on strain and pot size. If going for a big strain in 15l pots i would stick with 4 plants.
If going smaller strain and smaller pots (sog style) you could have up to 9

I would do a 4x4 which would give you plenty of space. Keep in mind you'll want room for circulation fan as these babies grow, and it'll give you room to move things around if needed. Like @sanguine mentioned, measure things up and then go for it. If you do the 4x4 then go for the 6 inch ducting, exhaust fan/ carbon combo and you'll be fine. I'd also recommend 600 watt Hps just in case you decide to go with more plants at once. You can always dim it down as needed.

Back