Outdoor Growing in cold

Reaction score
Living in the northeast , we don't get a very long grow season so strain selection has to accommodate for it . But there ARE a few things I/we do to extend the season a bit .

I put rooted clones or sexed seedlings out well before the last frost in spring . Found a simple way to avoid my plants from getting bitten from the frost . Once they are planted , I cut some pine boughs about 1'-2' long , then make a teepee over the plants . I never remove it since the plant will grow and push it's way through it . It's also a little more stealth than a man made mini greenhouse . This has worked for me for the last 15+ years .

Just curious what others do to avoid the frost problem.

i really like this idea monkeypox, i find myself in a similar situation right now as a matter of fact. however, my plant is still flowering and im guessing it has a month left, but its the fall, not the spring, thats threatening her haha. im curious if you have any experience with keeping a mature plant alive in the cold.

I have done netting to avoid frost in the fall . Used mosquito netting over the plants and seemed to keep the frost away till styff was ready . the stuff I use is military issue in OD green . Longest I have gone using this method is 2-3 weeks .

As long as it's not a heavy frost the plants can stand it pretty well. I've had plants get hit with light frost 3-4 times with no ill effects. A killing frost is a different story. They can be moved indoors for the night or covered with anything but plastic sheeting. Plastic doesn't breath. I've used bed sheets or for small plants, a bigger pot placed over it. The biggest issue with growing late into the season is cold roots. When the roots get cold the plants ability to uptake P is compromised. The stems may start to turn red and the leaves might turn purple, depending on the strain. If your plants are in the ground give them a good mulch, that will help to keep the roots warm. If in pots, bring them indoors at night.

If your plants are in the ground give them a good mulch

Sound advice , and yes that does help immensely. Your also right about light vs heavy frosts . Light frosts can usually be tolerated , but it's the heavy thick frosts with extended cold that will effect the plant .

uhm, whats the northeast?

northeast USA? .. or northeast Canada? ;)

cus im in northeast Norway :D

Back