Outdoor Grow questions

No worries mate.if your new to growing and decide to start a grow thread,start it in the new growers section and muddy and joe dirt will assist you bud. Good luck mate :smokebuds:

Welcome to AFN mate,nice profile name,chuck Norris kicks ass,literally :bong: that soil is loaded with ferts so I'd say don't start seeds in it,a seedling soil would be better,or a general un ferted compost would be perfect.you can start seeds in that and then have your own nutrient feeding schedule.a lot of growers at AFN use the tiered cup method.take 2 party cups,cut the bottom off one and pierce holes in the bottom of the other.slide the bottomless one inside the other and fill with soil and add seed.once sexed or big enough you can simply slide out the cup with the plant and sit it in a bigger pot :).8 gal pots are prob to big for most autos but mi5 can get huge and other super auto will require pots that big.2 or 3 gal will grow nice plants and if you have good weather all year you should be able to grow nice plants in your polytunnel mate.and as for perlite,which ever soil you choose if it ain't got any in it add some it with help with drainage :smokebuds:

Too big? It was my understanding bigger is better, more soil = more roots = more buds. I am running all my strains in 8 gallon Oregon Breathers.

pot size will affect plant size so if your poly tunnel isnt huge those might be a bit big id say thats what he meant. also maybe retaining water for too long etc make sure you have good drainage either way like he said perlite is important enough. if you have the space it would probably be fine but possibly unnecessary, but gives the chance for potential monsters.

Some strains don't need that much space mate.i ran duurtys,1 in 3L airpot and 1 6L airpot and i had no difference at all in size or yield.iv not used any bigger than a 6L airpot in all my grows and my plants have grow well mate.i buy soil and why use 6L of soil when 3L will do.its also strain dependent,some strains will stay small no matter how much medium they have,others will blow up.i know stitch recommends a minimum of around 25L for his super autos

Some strains don't need that much space mate.i ran duurtys,1 in 3L airpot and 1 6L airpot and i had no difference at all in size or yield.iv not used any bigger than a 6L airpot in all my grows and my plants have grow well mate.i buy soil and why use 6L of soil when 3L will do.its also strain dependent,some strains will stay small no matter how much medium they have,others will blow up.i know stitch recommends a minimum of around 25L for his super autos

So basically its just a waste of money on un used soil to go with big containers? I just like to give them all the room they need IF they want to use it. I was going to use 5 gallons but the 8 gallon bags were the same price, figured may aswell grab the 8.

Also, could a big pot cause negative effects on the plant? Delayed flowering or anything?

I doubt it will have any negative effects mate,but for me it's about keeping costs down,less soil=less money that's why I did a test with the duurtys.i also only grow in a small space so I can't have any beasts.once your grow is over examine the roots to see how much of your pot is filled and if they've not filled out the whole pot you could step it down a size

Hell yeah man I'll have to check my pots once their done. However, maybe not bc I wont want to see all that unused soil aka money wasted lol.

They may fill out the pots mate who knows,every strain is different.its the beauty of growing,learning what your plants like :bong: and it's never money wasted mate,its a learning curve and you will have weed at the end of the grow :smokeit: :jump:

In soilless mixes with ammendments people usually start feeding after 2 to 3 weeks old, sometimes only at 4. I'd say some nute is always helpfull. MJs will grow no matter what you decide, but they will give you bigger yelds if you pay attention to her life cycle and nutrient demands. I would advice you to get Promix instead of that brand you mention.

I dunno about cow manure. It should be fine, but more experienced growers will say better.

dont think they sell promix in Europe or Australia.... Promix is peat,vermiculite,perlite, and lime... you can make your own, good potting soil is very similar, just might not have as much drainage...which you want, you can add some small rocks/pebbles to your mix to air it out a bit... Do this take your potting soil after you water it....squeeze it...can you squeeze water out of it or is a mushy mess like mud? If its muddy then it needs additives to make it airy...

you wont find free shipping from the states to Australia... do a google search for hydroponics in your area...

Back