Indoor Grow 1.5 : Auto Jack Herer & Biodiesel Mass & Bag Seed Plant

The most important thing to know about an auto flowering plant is that soil it's planted in should be w/o fertilizers for the first 10 days to 2 weeks ... that MG may not be good for autos ... I use Lamberts Organic Potting soil from Home Depot w/30% MG Perlite ...

Chester, thanks again! ... I dug into the BD seed, this morning and discovered, alas, it never even sprouted.

So, Grow 1.5 ... failure to launch. I have been schooled. I'm going to keep trying with the rest of my seeds.

I'll go get some Lamberts Organic Potting, and try to germinate the other two autos (JH) directly form the soil. Method: only 1cm down, lightly watered, in a warm location. I may go ahead and just try to germinate the other freebie seeds, too, just to see what happens. Should I not mix in the E.B.Stone sure start?

I'll start a new journal here if I succeed in getting an auto to sprout. It's still a fun adventure, I'm not dead yet. :)

Oh, and side note: here are a couple pics of my bag seed plant that 2-3 weeks ago I moved from my deck into closet w/ 12/12 light (no idea of strain). ... Normal for end of flowering? or deficient? Any suggestions here?

Still learning ;-)

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Pic looks pretty normal ... Growing autos is fun and can be a challenge the first few times ... after the first couple grows it gets pretty easy ... When I plant ...

1. 3 gal pot min or have a good reason why smaller
2. Most neutral soil I can find cut w/ 25-40% Perlite ... I use the MG from Lowes.
3. I want the soil loose ... loose soil helps roots grow which encourages foliage growth.
4. If cold place pot on something to keep it above 65* but under 85*
5. Use damp soil in bottom 1/2 of pot when filling
6. Dry soil to top of pot.
7. Seed goes in w/ 1/4'' soil on top.
8. I use a sprayer to wet the seed spot daily ... I want a 2" small circle wet down to where #5 begins
9. I turn the light on when I plant the seed and generally leave it on 24/7 for the first couple weeks

Hope this helps ... :thumbsup:

Awesome!! and Hey! I found a place not too far that has the fox farms ocean forest that I see mentioned a lot. ... going to grab a bag. Anything I should mix into that?

a lot of growers have trouble w/ Ocean Forest ... I have used Happy Frog w/ 25% perlite and it worked OK ...

Yeah, I read you should flush it 2 or 3 times first? Home Depot didn't have the brand you suggested, the other potting soils were all pre-loaded with nutes, except for their 'plain' brand 'Timberline Potting Soil' I checked their website, and couldn't find any info...

It's a funny thing, I read a little controversy on most every soil. ... some folks even do good with the MG I've got, monitor carefully, don't overwater. Is there a noncontroversial soil?

I think my real problem is by going too deep, I drowned out my seeds by soaking the soil and seeding medium too much. With this same soil, I should hope to at least get sprouts.

Atrain had a BOM a couple months back w/ a plant he grew in MG ... I prefer to have the odds in my favor ... I'd use unfertilized seedling mix for soil if I had to ...

Well, the place I drove to today had Happy Frog, so I got that, added 20-25% Perlite, nothing else... and I decided to try again in my miracle grow mix, so I've got one pot of each. I put in my last two Jack Herer auto beans, one in each pot. I followed your instructions -- and if luck is on my side, I can do a side-by-side comparison.

They also had some coco, I bought one... the last three unplanted seeds I have are non-autos, I may give a test run in coco with those and pot those seeds tomorrow (in smaller pots). Hopefully out of 7 seeds, I can get at least one good plant started :)

hsk9HCGl.jpg

2 weeks ago, my deck was bare. This is what I'm doing on the side to keep a little distracted while I wait ... potting frenzy! -- mostly herbs and flowers in the 'discount' bin for $2 or $3 each -- I'm going to see what plants I can recover good -- a good way to get larger pots on the cheap, too. ;-)

Back