Grow Mediums Germination Station

NorthernLights_420

Autoflower Cultivator
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Zkittlez
To start germinating seeds I have done some research and decided to use rapid rooter plugs myself, as I read its better than the paper towel method because you don't have to handle the seed anymore once it pops and the first white root comes out the shell, rapid rooter plugs can also be used for clones. I have done the paper towel method and it dries up quick on me and I've had seeds pop and start and get stuck to the paper towel, fuck all that. I chose rapid rooter plugs for germinating to set up my hydro system, grow medium is hydroton mixed with grow stones. I first tear the plug in half, do not rip the plug in 2 pieces. I tear it on the side vertical (up and down) So I can easilyopen my plug to check on my seeds germination progress without damaging roots or anything. Then I soak my rapid rooter plugs in reverse osmosis filtered water for a while. I keep gently squeezing them submerged in water to clean them out. I change the water and repeat the process. Next I dump that water. Use ro water and submerge the plug one last time. Squeeze it hard then let it completely fill up with water and be water logged, open the plug up where you tore it in half and place seed inside it. Place rapid rooter plug in small Tupperware container with lid shut on it or saran wrap if you don't have a lid. Then put on Wi-Fi internet modem box. Label the container with what strain it is and I usually put the date and time I started the seed. I use duct tape and sharpie permanent marker for my labels. Wait 24 hours after starting the seed and then squeeze some water out of the plug so it's not soaked anymore but still moist. Don't let it dry out at this point but don't keep too much water in the plug that it drowns your plant. I usually have seeds crack in the first 24 to 48 hours every time with this method and 100 percent success rate. You can transplant the rapid rooter plug into its final system as soon as roots start coming out the bottom or sides. You can use this method for hydro, soil, or coco. Save on a heating mat with the Wi-Fi modem. Seedlings need between 70 and 80 degrees to germinate. The warmer the faster they go. But not too hot. Don't go past 80 degrees Fahrenheit

Here are some pics of the rooter plug tore in half and another with a seed inside.

Attachments

• IMG_20180906_061801.jpg
    IMG_20180906_061801.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20180906_061900.jpg
    IMG_20180906_061900.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 111
To start germinating seeds I have done some research and decided to use rapid rooter plugs myself, as I read its better than the paper towel method because you don't have to handle the seed anymore once it pops and the first white root comes out the shell, rapid rooter plugs can also be used for clones. I have done the paper towel method and it dries up quick on me and I've had seeds pop and start and get stuck to the paper towel, fuck all that. I chose rapid rooter plugs for germinating to set up my hydro system, grow medium is hydroton mixed with grow stones. I first tear the plug in half, do not rip the plug in 2 pieces. I tear it on the side vertical (up and down) So I can easilyopen my plug to check on my seeds germination progress without damaging roots or anything. Then I soak my rapid rooter plugs in reverse osmosis filtered water for a while. I keep gently squeezing them submerged in water to clean them out. I change the water and repeat the process. Next I dump that water. Use ro water and submerge the plug one last time. Squeeze it hard then let it completely fill up with water and be water logged, open the plug up where you tore it in half and place seed inside it. Place rapid rooter plug in small Tupperware container with lid shut on it or saran wrap if you don't have a lid. Then put on Wi-Fi internet modem box. Label the container with what strain it is and I usually put the date and time I started the seed. I use duct tape and sharpie permanent marker for my labels. Wait 24 hours after starting the seed and then squeeze some water out of the plug so it's not soaked anymore but still moist. Don't let it dry out at this point but don't keep too much water in the plug that it drowns your plant. I usually have seeds crack in the first 24 to 48 hours every time with this method and 100 percent success rate. You can transplant the rapid rooter plug into its final system as soon as roots start coming out the bottom or sides. You can use this method for hydro, soil, or coco. Save on a heating mat with the Wi-Fi modem. Seedlings need between 70 and 80 degrees to germinate. The warmer the faster they go. But not too hot. Don't go past 80 degrees Fahrenheit

I agree Rapid Rooters are the way to go.
My experience is that putting the RRs + Sprouts into the hydro system can stress the plants, and feeding them more than a few ppm for a couple days can injure or kill them.

Next time I'll try planting seeds in the RRs in the hydro system with about 20 ppm and the light they'll be using when they sprout.

I quit using Rapid Rooters after several instances of damping off. I switched to rock wool plugs and haven't looked back. I poke a 1/2" deep hole in the center of the cube. I soak my seeds until they sprout, I then place them into the hole in the plug and cover them with some finely screened peat moss. Once roots start coming out of the plugs I put them into 3" square rock wool cubes which sit perfectly on the raised centers of my net pots. If I'm starting the seed for a new mother I just place the cube into some soil once the roots start protruding from the cubes. I've had no more damping off issues since making the switch.

I agree Rapid Rooters are the way to go.
My experience is that putting the RRs + Sprouts into the hydro system can stress the plants, and feeding them more than a few ppm for a couple days can injure or kill them.

Next time I'll try planting seeds in the RRs in the hydro system with about 20 ppm and the light they'll be using when they sprout.
A good rule of thumb. First week 100 ppm 2nd 200 ppm 3rd 300 to 400 ppm. My pineapple express was taking 400 ppm from the get go though and grew like a weed

I quit using Rapid Rooters after several instances of damping off. I switched to rock wool plugs and haven't looked back. I poke a 1/2" deep hole in the center of the cube. I soak my seeds until they sprout, I then place them into the hole in the plug and cover them with some finely screened peat moss. Once roots start coming out of the plugs I put them into 3" square rock wool cubes which sit perfectly on the raised centers of my net pots. If I'm starting the seed for a new mother I just place the cube into some soil once the roots start protruding from the cubes. I've had no more damping off issues since making the switch.
Never had that problem in my hydro system. Weird. The only time seedlings ever died on me is if it was a grower error like accidently breaking one during transplant into my hydro system. Or too much h202 on another. Grower errors. Lol

Never had that problem in my hydro system. Weird. The only time seedlings ever died on me is if it was a grower error like accidently breaking one during transplant into my hydro system. Or too much h202 on another. Grower errors. Lol

The first time it happened I passed it off as a bad bag of Rooters. I tried them again a year or so later with a new bag and had the same damping off issues, so never again after that. Seeds are just too expensive to have half them dying from damping off.

Back