First Auto ever-going fine and then...

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Big Bud, Strawberry Cough
I'm attaching two pics one of a Pacific Seeds Cookie Wreck, and the other was a Gowers Choice Hindu Kush. Both were freebies with my seed orders so I thought I try them first.
They are both in 5 gallon pots containing approx 50% Fox Farm Ocean Forest 25% Coco Coir and 25% Perlite. Some organic soil amendments mixed in. Started both in Rockwool, first time ever and it worked great. Watering with ph'd water at 6.0. They spend the nights inside where it's warm under cheap lights and they days have been outdoors in the sun. They are both at the end of second week with the Kush two days behind the other.
2 days ago they both looked great AND THEN they were out in the sun and someone turned the sprinkler system on to test it drenching half of the Cookie Wreck with ph water of 8+. It actually looked great the first day, like it was a good thing. And then yesterday am I noticed that while pilot leaves are straight out, the new ones look drooped and stopped going and it looks like the kush is going ahead now. I think it is heavy so maybe water logged? It feels sort of too heavy. Maybe it's okay but it doesn't look okay to me.
CookieWreck.JPG
HinduKush.JPG

I've had a hard time figuring out how to water rockwool cubes in soil in big pots.
What should I do?
The only thing I could think of to do (I read this online) would be to soak it with correct ph'd water with hydrogen peroxide to oxygenate the roots. It's sounds crazy but (some) gardeners swear by it. I don't think I wanna try that.

Last edited:
I seen my plants droop like that with both under and over watering. I don't think ph hurts organic soil to much although a ph over 8 is really high.poke your finger in and have a feel of the moisture if its to wet or dry.

I've also had ants eat the roots and make them go all droopy

I seen my plants droop like that with both under and over watering. I don't think ph hurts organic soil to much although a ph over 8 is really high.poke your finger in and have a feel of the moisture if its to wet or dry.
This one is definitely not under watered. It's moist from about the bottom of the rockwool cube to the bottom of the pot. It just doesnt' look right and seems like it really slowed down it's growth. It's out in the sun now. It really hasn't changed much since this happened, just some new growth.

That sucks man hopefully she comes back. The kush is looking nice though

Thanks, I appreciate it. And thanks for responding. I was hoping for a little more input:headbang:
Anyway, I tried to dry it out the best I could in the sun yesterday and it is growing slowiy, very slowly and starting to improve in color. I'm betting on a dwarf though, no offense 1337, hehe (your avatar) :)
And your right, the kush is looking good but that is starting to look pretty light in color. End of week two, does it need more nutes?

Yea hopefully not a dwarf like me hehe, I have noticed that change in colour with some strains I'm not sure what it means tbh

:toke:- The water logging in alkaline water didn't help, but this was started bad right off the bat mate,...
Fuxfarms soils are a real dice-roll, OF especially... #1 problem soil I see in here, lousy quality, often off pH.... Some folks get OK bags, others don't :shrug:
Custom blends with coco are also pretty iffy; coco is a specialized soilless medium by itself, a lot of unusual CEC properties, do's and don't's. It's a common soil component, but not at 50%, that's bastard-in-between and usually isn't a good result...Good soils are constructed and amended to spec's depending on their formulation, peat based, coco based, etc.... Jimmy with that, and you have things out fo balance most likely..
What else did you put in? Did you test it's pH? Did it get a chance to cook some with those amendments in there?
Did you harden them off any before going outside? Day/night T's? ... This size at 14 days, they are stunted for sure... feeds are needed for sure, but knowing the in-pot pH is critical, feed off pH pots and matters may get worse, not better...
Best you can do is get a slurry test done of the mixed soil as is... have any left? 1/2c soil + 1/2c RO/Di water (not tap/hard water; skews pH).. let sit 20 min or so, drain off liquid and test with a pH meter in good working order (calibrated recently, stored properly)...

:toke:- The water logging in alkaline water didn't help, but this was started bad right off the bat mate,...
Fuxfarms soils are a real dice-roll, OF especially... #1 problem soil I see in here, lousy quality, often off pH.... Some folks get OK bags, others don't :shrug:
Custom blends with coco are also pretty iffy; coco is a specialized soilless medium by itself, a lot of unusual CEC properties, do's and don't's. It's a common soil component, but not at 50%, that's bastard-in-between and usually isn't a good result...Good soils are constructed and amended to spec's depending on their formulation, peat based, coco based, etc.... Jimmy with that, and you have things out fo balance most likely..
What else did you put in? Did you test it's pH? Did it get a chance to cook some with those amendments in there?
Did you harden them off any before going outside? Day/night T's? ... This size at 14 days, they are stunted for sure... feeds are needed for sure, but knowing the in-pot pH is critical, feed off pH pots and matters may get worse, not better...
Best you can do is get a slurry test done of the mixed soil as is... have any left? 1/2c soil + 1/2c RO/Di water (not tap/hard water; skews pH).. let sit 20 min or so, drain off liquid and test with a pH meter in good working order (calibrated recently, stored properly)...
Hey Waira :bravo:I know that your are right. Man, I had given up on this thread and quit watching it but I wish I hadn't. I hope you see this. I know you nailed it.
That plant died...'never got to grow up, never got to be cool' probably for all of the reasons outlined above. The one I planted with, same time, same soil was a Hindu Kush, and now it's struggling. I'll put a pic in here. I started another thread and after little input took a stab at a Potassium deficiency. I know that's weird but I think that it maybe was and really seemed to respond to some kelp and the necrosis on the leaves seemed stop, knock on wood. I know that means a lot of stuff is off and I've come to think that I fucked up the soil. I modeled the grow from these youtube vids of this Cannuk dude and as it turns out, he's using different mixes too. I thought Fox Farms needed NPK, I don't know why I thought that but I did. So I 'jimmied with it' good or bad I guess. So I'm leave all the amendments out for the next seedlings that are coming along and just going forward from there. Do you think that if I mixed it with Happy Frog regular it would mess with the proprietary nature or their blends?
I think I could do it with bottled nutes if I can get past the soil thing but wanted to try organic growing.:cheers:
Image-1.jpg

The thread is in the infirmary ;-(

Back