Indoor Fast Buds Rhino Ryder (auto version of Medicine Man)

Olde School Player

Celebrating 50th anniversary of my 1st grow
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Royal Queen Runtz, North Thunderfuck, Twenty20 El Diablo
Greetings, AFN'ers, welcome to my latest grow. This story is about Fast Buds' Rhino Ryder. For those of you who are not familiar with this plant's heritage, it is Fast Buds’ autoflowering version of Mr. Nice’s (Shantibaba & Howard Marks) Medicine Man. MM was a Cannabis Cup winner as White Rhino before Mr. Nice fell out with Greenhouse Seeds and took his breeding stock for a restart, branded as Medicine Man. I grew her during my photoperiod heyday, and if Fast Buds’ version holds true to form of its parentals, the wife is gonna get excited.
Fast Buds crossed this strain with a Canadian Ruderalis of unknown heritage, although if the name implies anything (?) it could be LowRyder???

Lineage from SeedFinder:
Fast Buds advertises "... Will reward the grower with high yields of resinous, sticky buds easy and quickly. Rhyno Ryder would be very suitable for medicinal applications. Thanks to its high CBD content, it has a great narcotic effect and muscle relaxant. THC: 17% "CBD: 1.2% 67 days from seedling to harvest."
We'll see. At any rate, I'm sure it's going to be a relief for the wife's Fibromyalgia.
And will contribute greatly to my occasional forgetfulness.

This will be a single plant hydro grow in a 2’3” X 2’3” X 5’3” Mars Hydro tent.
Vegetative lighting provided by BigSm0 's autoCOB's, 3500K variety. Bloom lighting is undecided at this point but will be either more of the same COB's, or a single Mars Hydro Pro-II Cree-128 LED system consuming 325 watts-at-wall, on a 20 / 4 light regimen.
Tent ventilation provided by a 6" Max Fan Pro series running on Low (291CFM), with adjustments as needed. The Max Fan will be coupled to an 18" X 6” Phresh carbon filter.
The hydro system is a 4 gallon Flo ‘n Gro container with my custom manifold connected to a 12 gallon reservoir, flooding every two hours, total (11) flood cycles per day.
Nutrients are General Hydroponics Flora 3-part Expert Recirculating formula with my formula and strength tweaks and all additives. I will list these formulas freely for all to use if you wish, including how to adapt to any plant's varied uptake needs from start to harvest.
Water is RO filtered, with Cal-Mag and Armor-Si added to 400ppm before nutrients. All ppm references include the 400ppm’s of my base water; i.e. an 800ppm reference includes 400ppm starting water level with 400 ppm nutes added).

Last edited:
As stated previously, this will be a hydro grow using a four gallon Flo ‘n Gro system, and chances are many of you are asking, “What’s that?????” Well, in its simplest form, it is a modular enclosed version of an ebb and flood system (no table) with a light tight net pot container.
The advantages of a commercially built system of this type are convenience, and the ability to locate the reservoir at the same floor level as the grow modules. This could be needed if you have a grow area with limited headroom. Not the height of the tent, but the height of the room where the tent and/or grow area will be located.

Disadvantages? They cost a lot of money. Commercial versions of this system are available in the $500 to $700 price range for a twelve module system. Good luck finding a smaller system, say, like, four modules. And having your reservoir located at the same floor level as your plant requires some fairly complex controllers, valves and pumps, which could lead to long term reliability issues. Not only must the flood stage be powered, but the drain stage must be mechanically evacuated as well. And precise flood level control may be more complicated than a manual system like the one I have assembled.

My system has two moving parts – a simple mechanical timer, the (24) hour push-in tab type with (96) individual on / off settings of (15) minutes each; and an inexpensive hydro pump. For about the last ten years I have used the EcoPlus series of pumps (typically the ECO-185, could go smaller with my single-plant grow style) and have yet to have a pump fail. The only maintenance needed is a simple disassembly and cleaning at the end of each grow cycle.
I've used almost all types of hydro systems, and thistype is the most reliable I have ever used. The reservoir has enough reserve capacity to support vacations or long weekends with no worries. I can regularly take trips of seven days or longer with no worries that I will come home to a disaster. I just need to time the trips to periods when I will not need to modify nutrient mix or adjust light height while I am gone.
Many growers are scared of leaks in a hydro system, as they should be. Caution must be taken at all times to insure your connections are secure. Like the time I disconnected my flood and drain line from my flood table to clean the inside of the table. And forgot to reconnect it at the end of the job. And the next flood cycle pumped twenty gallons of water into the air and onto the floor. And the second flood cycle was with a dry pump which burned out. Fortunately, my grow area was a utility room with a floor drain, and I had a spare pump, or disaster could have resulted. But not really a “leak”.

Point to be taken – build an idiot proof system and someone will build a better idiot (me).

The premise behind this system is ancient – the water level. Pour a body of water and one end will be precisely the same height as the other, wherever you take it. Before laser levels were invented, plumbers and construction crews relied upon a simple flexible hose filled with water, with transparent sight windows on each end. An area of air was located at each end of the hose, and the water level in the hose was marked at an equal level for both ends. Gravity did the rest. If you hold both ends together at the same level, the water level in each end will always rise or fall to the same level. If you move the two ends apart by, let’s say, 30 feet or more, and move the hose end up and down until the water level aligns with the mark, you have reached level. This is handy for setting foundation piers at the same level, or adjusting the slope of a gutter or drain line, or any other activity that requires precise levels located across longer distances. Gravity does not lie, and will not deviate. More in a minute.

In order to make my system as failsafe as possible, a simple table must be constructed to fit over the reservoir. By taking advantage of the water level principle, and placing a simple manifold over the reservoir and on top of the table, all flood and drain cycles can be automated and precisely controlled. The manifold has no moving parts, and it totally eliminates the complex controllers, valves and timers in a commercial system. I like basic woodworking, so I go out of my way to build a nice, sturdy table that wastes no room in any direction and holds all equipment precisely. But you could accomplish the same thing with whatever blocks and wood you might be able to scrounge, find, steal or purchase.

Still scratching your head? My verbal prose didn’t quite paint the pretty picture for you? Here’s a simple hand drawn schematic that illustrates the mechanics and lays out parts and most costs as well:
244bo89.jpg

Still don’t get it? Here’s an aerial view of the system being tested for the correct flood level in the net pot module (with net pot removed for clarity). Please don’t share these with any foreign governments as I used top secret drones for this aerial photography, code name Step Ladder.

2my9t85.jpg

When flood time is triggered by the mechanical timer (never had one of these fail either), the hydro pump turns on, and pumps water approx.. 6” to 15” up into the manifold. The flood / supply connection is made from the reservoir pump, through a ½” hose, up through the bottom of the manifold bucket, using a $7 set of ebb and flow (through-hull) fittings (1/2” supply and ¾” drain), available at any hydro store. A second connection is made very close to the bottom of the manifold through the side wall, into the side of the Flo ‘n Gro module, using standard ¾” hydro grommets, connectors and hose material. As the pump fills the manifold, water level principle (AKA Gravity) floods the grow module at the same rate; i.e., water level in the two containers rises equally. Now the failsafe – when the water reaches the desired level, an overflow pipe in the manifold returns all additional water back to the reservoir or the duration of the flood cycle. It is physically impossible (as long as gravity continues to work) for an overflow of the manifold or Flo ‘n Gro module to occur. The manifold is sealed at the top, so no foreign matter (grow rocks, poor housekeeping leaf clumps, dead rats, etc. can clog the overflow return to the reservoir. Overflow and drain occurs in the manifold which is sealed, NOT in the plant module, so clogs are not possible. Every time the flood cycle is activated, water is fed under slight pressure into the Flo ‘n Gro module. Unlike RDWC (recirculating deep water culture), this washes any overactive root mass back into the module. The drain cycle starts when the timer turns the pump off, allowing gravity to passively drain through the ½” hydro pump connection back into the reservoir. No root mass can be sucked into a connection causing problems over the length of the grow.

Another strong point of this system is that, as each flood cycle fills the manifold to overflow, all the runback into the reservoir falls in much like a waterfall. This helps aerate the reservoir to maintain a well oxygenated environment. But I still maintain an airpump, airstone, and second circulating pump inside the reservoir, just to be safe.

I’ve completed (16) single-plant autoflower grows using this system. I also adapted this design to an eight module, two gallon net pot design I used to complete several multi-plant photoperiod grows when I was doing regular pheno searches. These grows consistently generated 15 – 16 oz. yields from eight plants under a 400W HPS lighting system. Better than 1 gram per watt on photoperiods without SOG or LST.

But here’s the point I started to make before I wandered off again - Never have I encountered any evidence of even the slightest clogs or system induced leaks in this setup. NO overflows. And the only leak I ever encountered was a tiny seep / weep hole where I cracked the manifold. I was re-assembling the system after a post-harvest cleanup, and I tried pulling the ¾” hydro connector out of its grommet to replace it with one that I’d ground off most of the barbs to make the hose connections easier. Too much force, hairline crack in the plastic wall of the manifold, resulted in a small weeping leak that wet the top of the table but never made it to the floor. Lesson learned – if you pull on anything hard enough, it will crack. At least that’s what she said….

Oh … there was one other leak. I run an always-on recirculating pump in my reservoir to keep everything well aerated. I changed reservoirs to a model that was heavier construction, longer and lower than the previous. I filled it to the same old (14) gallon level as the one being replaced, because that was how much nutrients were in the old reservoir. Well, I also said this model was shorter. The recirculating pump was too powerful, and as it washed down the side, it made the nutrients rise over the top rear edge of the reservoir and onto the carpet. The problem corrected itself after about one gallon leaked out, which made the leak harder to diagnose when I discovered it the next day. So I made two design changes – I installed a T-connector and partially closed ball valve on the pump outlet to divert water in two directions; and I reduced the reservoir contents from 14- to 12 gallons. Wish I’d done this originally because 12 gallons works soooo much easier for the nutrient strength calculations I do throughout my grows.

About the Flo n’ Gro parts. The magic sauce is the blue 4 gallon bucket, which perfectly holds the heavy duty black three gallon net pot container in a light tight system. When I ordered mine from Sunlight Supply, they were listed as a four module expansion kit for the commercial system, and cost $52. I had to drill and grommet the system but that was easy with a $10 hole saw from Home Depot. Looking today, I only see Sunlight Supply through Amazon, and a six module system is listed, pre-drilled and grommeted, for $97. An assortment of connectors, shut-offs and hoses is included, along with free shipping. I suspect, if you found a hydro store to show you their Sunlight Supply catalog (they used to take orders direct) you might still find the four module $52 system as well. Single module buckets are also available on Amazon at a slight per-unit premium, but I highly recommend you purchase at least two. If I have a plant that exhibits strong vegetative growth and I feel will need more room for LST, I like to relocate the blue bucket to a corner of the tent, using a right angle elbow connector. The diagonal to the opposite corner provides a longer / wider training area. I have one bucket set up with an elbow connector for this purpose; the others have straight connectors for placement in the center of the tent.

One of the best features of Flo n’ Gro systems is that they can be set to flood very frequently. I have mine set to flood at the beginning of lights-on, and to repeat this every two hours. The minimum on-time of my mechanical timer is 15 minutes. It only takes a few minutes for my EcoPlus-185 (approx.. 3 gallons / minute) to flood the manifold and net pot / bucket. I would prefer to flood more frequently but for a shorter period, perhaps a five to seven minute flood cycle, every hour. A shorter flood on a more frequent cycle will do a better job of oxygenating the root zone of the plant, and this system does this better than most. Every time a flood cycle starts, rising water forces all stale air out of the root zone. When the flood cycle ends and water drains out of the net pot, it pulls all fresh air back into the root zone. No mechanics, no moving parts, just simple blow-and-suck action. I like it.
So if anyone is aware of a reliable, programmable timer that offers short on-cycles for many times a day, please let me know. I probably need something in the range of (20) to (24) on/off cycles in a (24) hour day, with each ON duration around (5) minutes (my current mechanical timer has a minimum on time of 15 minutes).

The final feature of this system that I’m so enamored with, is Bio balls. I’m convinced this is one of the reasons my grows are so successful.
(Who has plastic balls? Stretch Armstrong. Who has steel balls? Superman).
Go to any aquarium store and look in the filter section. Chances are they will have these little plastic balls that go inside a cannister filter, each one about ¾” in diameter. If no, kick them in the ‘nads and order from Amazon. Bio balls are designed to create a friendly environment for beneficial bacteria that eat shit and (don’t) die. The 90-count package made by MarineLand costs about $5; and is the perfect amount to cover the bottom of the blue bucket, under the net pot, with one layer of balls. Buy one package for each Flo n’ Gro container you intend to run simultaneously. If you’re diligent with your clean-up, they can be reclaimed and re-used over and over. The roots will “grab” them but they can be coaxed out and cleaned easily. I “charge” these at the start of every grow with myco’s and beneficial bacteria. Since I started this, I have never encountered a single root problem of any kind. I swear by these. Here’s the parts:

xekgo6.jpg

And here’s a close-up of the bio-ball. She’s a hard worker.

xcvn9g.jpg

Next installment, Nutrients.

Last edited:
I’d like to emphasize that this is not a full tutorial on nutrients; there are graduate programs for that. What I DO hope to accomplish is to present some fundamentals in an understandable fashion, and to take away the fear and mystery surrounding good hydroponics practices. If you use this (or a similar) hydroponics system; maintain a stable grow room environment at human comfort levels; use good lighting and ventilation; same / similar training techniques and proper pH / ppm’s; then there is no reason you can’t enjoy great yields of excellent products. Not every grow will be a 10 to 12 ounce plant, but you will enjoy those regularly. And 4 ounce plants will be a disappointment. Lets get started.

Some days I’m worried we could run out of nutrients for cannabis, because there just aren’t enough manufacturers to keep us all supplied with products. And then I realize, if frogs had wings, they wouldn’t bump their ass every time they jumped.

The cannabis nutrient industry is BIG business. The raw ingredients are low cost and the finished product is high margin, a perfect product combination. But at the end of the assembly line, all products are mostly six major elements (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur) and seven micronutrients (Boron, Chlorine, Copper, Iron, Manganese, Molybdenum, and Zinc). Of course I remembered that, I never have to look that up, that’s why I don’t have reference materials.
Not to forget Hydrogen, Carbon and Oxygen. These three elements alone comprise 96% of all essential plant nutrient elements needed for healthy plant growth. And don’t even get me started on the symbiotic relationships that certain fungi and bacteria have with the plant world, that’s a different ballgame. And the lifeblood of organic gardening. But I don’t want dirt in my garden.
What’s my point? If you look at the product contents of any reputable nutrient mix, you will find those ingredients (exclusive of those forming symbiotic relationships). Every product claims to be different, and in some minor ways they are, but unless a product contains these essential ingredients, in sufficient amounts to grow healthy plants, they will not be in business.

I use General Hydroponics’ three part Flora series. Not because I think it is THE best (I know it is ONE OF the best), but because I am familiar with the product. I’ve used it for over two decades, I know what the parts do, and have no reason to deviate. I know there’s no such thing as a magic sauce that’s going to transform all my crops to monster proportions and eliminate all other causes of plant problems. And I think it’s cool that when I was on the International Space Station, they let me use GenHydro to grow stuff.

It is completely reasonable for you to expect to obtain similar results with other products, but don’t expect magic sauce. But when it comes to helping others obtain improved results with their grows, I can give very specific recommendations for GenHydro using my formulas. I have to keep other product advice to generalities because I don’t use their products, so I can’t walk downstairs and read product labels. (Ed. Note: I will be giving MegaCrop’s dry nutrient product a run later this winter. Looking forward to that & will keep you posted. In the meantime there are other growers providing their results for that product. Feel free to ask around; I suspect it’s a great product.).

General Hydroponics has a number of products, and within each one a number of formulations for varied uses. Basic, expert, drain to waste, recirculating, etc.. I use their three part Flora product line, and a derivative of their Expert Recirculating regimen, with changes developed from my experiences in growing over the years. I’ll share those formulas as soon as I develop a clear presentation of a complex topic. Working on it, to be finished in a few days.
I believe that most of GenHydro’s feed chart product RATIO's are spot on. But I also feel the recommended strengths are too high, especially for the vegetative growth stage of autoflowers. Sometimes I may use full strength formulas during early bloom, especially when I find a particularly nute hungry strain. But usually I find myself watering down the mixture later, based upon ppm monitoring.

GenHydro’s Flora Series is comprised of three base products – Grow, Micro and Bloom. Together, these three form the basis of a complete nutrient system of Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), Potassium (K), plus most required minerals and Micronutrients. By varying the percentages of each of these three bases, you can adapt to the varied requirements of a plant throughout its lifecycle.
When studying a plant’s requirements during its varied growth phases, I find it helpful to reference the nutrient strength formulas of the main three base ingredients – N, P, & K, presented with the percentage strength of each ingredient. Like common agricultural fertilizer is labeled 10-10-10, for equal parts N, P & K. So with each base ingredient, I’ll reference these numbers. This may be helpful if you use another brand of nutrients, and you want to adapt it to these formulas. Otherwise, this forms a sound basis for everything you grow.
Flora Grow – 2 – 1 – 6
A secondary source of N and P and a primary source of K
Flora Micro – 5 – 0 – 1
A primary source of N, and secondary source of K.
A primary source of most minerals and micronutrients; the product line won’t work without it.
Flora Bloom – 0 – 5 – 4
A primary source of P & K. Don’t let the name fool you; both P & K are required for healthy root development and vegetative growth. The entire plant infrastructure suffers if this is not available in proper amounts. And even higher amounts during the bloom stage of growth.

In addition to Flora’s three base ingredients, GenHydro offers a full lne of supplements. A well balanced three part regimen will grow good product. But I’m also convinced that supplements have a place in your garden. They took my yields to the next level many years ago. I use most of them:
RapidStart -1 – 0.5 – 1
is a good rooting stimulant, but during my photoperiod cloning days I ran some side-by-side grows and found SuperThrive to be more effective. Too expensive for what it does.
Diamond Nectar – 0 – 1 – 1
A humic / fulvic acid supplement derived from mined minerals. Provides some of the same benefits that humus / composted plant materials provide to plants grown in earth. It is advertised to improve plant uptake efficiency for other nutrients, possibly allowing a weaker strength nutrient mix to provide the same results. I started using this years ago and experienced increased yields and bud density. HIGHLY recommended.
Liquid KoolBloom - 0 – 10 – 10
A bud booster derived from additional percentages of phosphorous and potassium, and a few other things (vitamins?). Recent speculation by some growers has wondered if bloom supplements are really necessary. I do not feel the “vitamin” claim is beneficial. But the additional P & K during bloom is certainly helpful. I've used it for years, and once again, I'm pretty sure it has resulted in increased yields for me. While I'm not 100% certain this holds true, SOMETHING I did when migrating from Simple to Expert Recirculating formulations resulted in a big jump in yields and increased bud density. I know it's not hurting my yield so I'm not willing to eliminate it from my regimen.
Floralicious Plus – 2 – 0.8 – 0.02
This is probably the closest thing to an organic product in GenHydro's Flora line. A vegan plant booster - seaweed extracts, carbon building blocks (fancy name for sugars), fulvic acids (seen that before? Diamond Nectar?), and other stuff designed to increase microbial activity & health in a plant's root zone. Purported to improve plant color and terpenes. It is expensive, but highly concentrated; used @ 1mL per gallon rate. I bought a quart a couple years ago and I'm still using it for every phase of growth - propagation, seedlings, veg and bloom. I've never had a single root problem since beginning use of this product.
In the near future I intend to research if this product helps establish mycorrhizae populations in a hydro root zone. I think it does, but that's admittedly subjective.
FloraBlend- 0.5 – 1 – 1
Another vegan plant booster derived from seaweed, rock powders, etc. Also has Leonardite mineral, a major ingredient in Diamond Nectar. Produced with/from micro-organisms to benefit root structures. Is this another reason I never experience root problems anymore? Can't prove it but I won't quit using it to find out. I use this through propagation, veg and transition, after which I switch to:
FloraNectar – 0 – 1 – 1
A natural sugar additive designed to aid enzymes & improve plant metabolism. I think this assists in maintaining a healthy root environment. If there's one product in this entire regimen I'm sketchy on, it's this one. The basis is sound for dirt farmers – sugars, especially molasses, promotes the growth of beneficial organisms in the root zone. But in hydro, I’m suspicious the infrastructure may not be there to support it. But then again, go back to the late 90's / early 2000's, and people were experimenting with adding fruit juices to their reservoirs. Simple sugars. I'm not sure if a plant can benefit directly from sugars in the reservoir, but there is certainly tons of anecdotal evidence of dirt, hempy and coco growers benefitting from additions to their feed regimen. For me, I'm convinced it doesn't hurt & may help, so I'll keep using it during the bloom cycle of my girls. Just be sure to maintain a healthy aeration of your reservoir.
KoolBloom Dry – 2 – 45 – 28
a HUGE phosphorous and potassium booster that supposedly stresses the plant to finish its bloom cycle with increased yield, flavor and aroma. If there's two products in this entire regimen I'm sketchy on, this is the other one. I've used it since my SOG photoperiod days during the last week or two of my grows, and maybe it has helped my yields (?). Lots of people swear by it. Myself, I have skipped this occasionally, and I'm not convinced it's helping me. But I do know it doesn't hurt.

Now we get into the realm of beneficial bacteria and fungi. Non-plant food ingredients:
SubCulture M is a mycorrhizae fungi that forms a symbiotic relationship with roots, growing fibrous strands that extend the effectiveness of the hard working fine, fibrous strands. I don’t use it – but keep reading.
SubCulture B is a bacterial root inoculant that improves root zone health and aids the plant’s ability to uptake nutrient salts. I don’t use it – but keep reading.
Both of these products have solid proven science behind their use and will no doubt benefit coco, hempy or dirt growers. But I'm questionable on their use in a pure hydro environment. The science is solid, but like with simple sugars, I’m not convinced that hydroponics provides the infrastructure for these microorganisms to thrive. Not convinced, but not sure either. I’m not sure enough to STOP using them.
I use myco's through the vegetative stage of my plants. But SubCulture M is expensive. I use VAM, which is not. If you do the research on myco's, VAM is the only actual commercial producer (call it cultivator if you wish) of mycorrhizae. This is an agricultural company that specializes in products for farmers, and they are in the business of making this stuff in huge bulk volumes. And everyone else (supposedly) gets theirs from VAM as well. Yes, I'm unsure how effective this is in a pure hydro environment, but I won't quit using VAM. Over the next year I intend to do much more research on myco's in hydro.
As to SubCulture B, again, I feel the science is solid but I'm not sure how it works in a pure hydro world. Research to follow later. And once again, SubCulture B is expensive. Tetra Pond Scum Reducer is not. I continue to use Tetra.

One important side note. Bacteria, even beneficial ones, can affect the pH of your system. A common reason for a downward (acidic) turn of your pH is the infection (bad) or intentional introduction (good?) of a bacterial colony. Whether good or bad, the symptom is the same. Deal with it. Beneficials help maintain a healthy root zone and can prevent root rot.
While we’re on this topic, can anyone provide a microscope slide of a root zone that has been inoculated with myco's? My speculation is that a hydro root zone may not have the physical media needed to support these. I could be wrong. And my speculation ain't worth a shit unless I can find the science to prove it. Do we have any botanists in the house that can enlighten us on this without making my head hurt? I love the science but if it gets too deep on x to the nth power I lose focus & understanding. Not sure what causes that?????

Next : Formulas

Last edited:
Work In Progress - please hold your posts until I get a bit further into this effort.
This isn't working out as a single thread. I need a grow thread for the strain & all the problems it has; and a separate how-to for the Flo N' Gro technique with GenHydro formulas. Going to work on splitting this into separate threads soon.

:oops1: :shrug: :stir:

Last edited:
Back