Grow Mediums f6 does what f6 does ;)

Time to focus on nugs! Day 43!

Pollenating a few branches of Ruby on the weekend! Otherwise it's just watching dem get fat!

IMG_20180822_184526.jpg

Citris Noir

IMG_20180822_184510.jpg

Spiritwalker

IMG_20180822_184431.jpg

Ruby

Nutes up to 1.85 EC ! Everything holding optimal! (CN is the most sensitive) haven't found the nute ceiling yet, have to raise the light as 350mm is about optimal. CN is canoeing a little but reluctant to raise to soon after surviving that crazy stretch!!

How good is growing canna!?

f6

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_184431.jpg
    IMG_20180822_184431.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 133
Time to focus on nugs! Day 43!

Pollenating a few branches of Ruby on the weekend! Otherwise it's just watching dem get fat!

View attachment 943842
Citris Noir

View attachment 943843
Spiritwalker

View attachment 943845
Ruby

Nutes up to 1.85 EC ! Everything holding optimal! (CN is the most sensitive) haven't found the nute ceiling yet, have to raise the light as 350mm is about optimal. CN is canoeing a little but reluctant to raise to soon after surviving that crazy stretch!!

How good is growing canna!?

f6
Really looking perfect! The leaves look so healthy. This grow is shaping up to be a hall of fame grow.:worship::worship::pop:

Pollinate a few of the SW for me :) lol. I keep hoping for a Male from a decent genetic line but all I keep getting are females. Lol

Which plant ended up being Male? I just dropped a few stone dragons, hoping that atleast 1 of them is Male. If they pop that is. Just put them in soil yesterday. I'm a bit impatient as you can see lol

Hey @fettled6 catching up on your runaway grow since my vacation, Man, you've been busy, and the girls look amazing. And I have to confess, apologies in advance, but now that you have things under control, it was just a little bit funny reading your freak-out over too much stretch when all I can do is beg for more!!!!! It's always funnier when it's someone else's pain, isn't it???? I'm so ashamed of myself.
And I have to spend a lot more time reading yours and @MedCzech 's comments and thoughts on spectrum. His comments on far red during veg encouraging stretch are the most thoughtful, and specific, I've seen since this light intensity thread of mine got started.

So your experience with CMH - seems all positive once you got past the initial scare? I've had that happen in years past with HID - HPS grows - if I recall, it was Mr. Nice's Medicine Man who had me afraid I was going to have to cut a hole in my basement ceiling. Which would have been particularly dangerous for me because that hole in the basement ceiling would also be a hole in the Missus' kitchen floor. Can you see the knots on my head from there???
My only other comments - I totally agree with @Waira 's comments on Si helping your plant infrastructure. That in conjunction with your fans should bulk them up.
Otherwise, all the way through my last two weeks of catch-up reading of this thread, it was all I could do to not say (until now, that is), tie the bitches up, bend them over & spank them until they behave themselves!!! But I see your point - bending over a big girl in a tent that's already full??? Where you gonna bend her to? I feel for you, and that's why I've gone to single plant grows.

I owe you & MedCzech some thoughts on your posts of light intensity / spectrum while I was gone. Got to make time to totally absorb your thinkings but they look great. Thanks for keeping the knowledge flowing. Now how do we compare the spectrum specs of your CMH to my LED's? I wish I'd paid more attention in science class now....

Pollinate a few of the SW for me :) lol. I keep hoping for a Male from a decent genetic line but all I keep getting are females. Lol

Which plant ended up being Male? I just dropped a few stone dragons, hoping that atleast 1 of them is Male. If they pop that is. Just put them in soil yesterday. I'm a bit impatient as you can see lol

I got a Stone Dragon male! Green pheno, he's stuffed in a bag drying out!

:thumbsup:

:dragon6:

f6

As a hydro grower for years it pains me to admit that I've never given a flood style system a go. And the more I think about it the more I want to run some sort of flood and drain as a means to automate my grow. At first I thought pump with manifold on drippers nur it kept dripping after the pump shut off making everything too wet. Any tips on simple flood and drain style setups for someone with a bit of know how.

Free Flow, we all have personal preferences when it comes to hydro systems, and frankly, I've tried almost all of them. A straightforward ebb and flow table is hard to beat for flexibility and simplicity. DWC - not a huge fan due to the challenges of LST training, and the messiness of nute changes. RDWC fixes practically all of those problems & makes temp control easier as well. Aero - real high pressure fogger aero - expensive and prone to problems long term.
But by far my strongest performer has been a simplified version of the expensive and complicated Flo' n' Gro system. Professional systems of this type typically run in the $500-600 USD range. They work great with all the advantages of this type of system, but (a) they are expensive and (b) the complicated timers, valves and manifolds are a PITA to maintain long term. The one advantage of this system is that the complicated manifold allows you to place your plants on the same floor level as the reservoir.
But - if you have about 14 - 15" of vertical room to place your tent and a manifold on top of a small home built table, which sits over your reservoir (Rubbermaid or Home Depot's house brand) you can fashion a very simple, reliable and top-shelf functional system that IMHO performs the best of any flood and drain system on the market.
The strengths of this system are an enclosed net pot which prevents root exposure to light & discourages evaporation, and the ability to perform frequent flood cycles. The flood cycle frequency is important because as the pot floods, it pushes stale air out of the root zone. As the pot drains, it pulls fresh oxygen back into the root zone. This, coupled with an air stone in the reservoir, assures a super oxygenated root zone at all times.
The only moving part of this system is a fairly small hydro pump. I've settled on 190GPM as a great size. And ECO Pump brand, I've never had a failure. Assuming you don't move around individual components and disconnect a hose, the system is almost fail safe and practically impossible to create a leak or overflow. In about five years of using this system, I had one leak - a small capillary leak where I cracked my manifold bucket moving it around. The system is so reliable because the pump feeds a manifold bucket, with an overflow tube that sets flood level in the growing pot. The premise is like a water level - the level in the plant's net pot container physically cannot exceed the level in the manifold. Roots will never cause a clog in the Flo n' Gro net pot container because the feed into the container is under pressure, which washes all roots INTO the net pot. Drain is passive by gravity only. Might sound a bit complex, but take a look at this hand drawn schematic & it will make much more sense:

244bo89.jpg

You can purchase the 4 gallon Flo n' Gro container ($7) and 3 gallon net pot container ($7) from Sunlight Supply, pre-drilled with grommet installed for a 3/4" hydro fitting. They used to sell a 4-pack expansion for their Flo N Gro system at a discounted price from that, check and see.
I've used this system for many years and it's a reliable winner. Week long vacations are a reality with this at home doing all the work for you, and yield is stellar.
Here's a shot of what she looks like assembled:

s25sly.jpg

Shout if you need more info, I've probably got more data lying around somewhere.

Free Flow, we all have personal preferences when it comes to hydro systems, and frankly, I've tried almost all of them. A straightforward ebb and flow table is hard to beat for flexibility and simplicity. DWC - not a huge fan due to the challenges of LST training, and the messiness of nute changes. RDWC fixes practically all of those problems & makes temp control easier as well. Aero - real high pressure fogger aero - expensive and prone to problems long term.
But by far my strongest performer has been a simplified version of the expensive and complicated Flo' n' Gro system. Professional systems of this type typically run in the $500-600 USD range. They work great with all the advantages of this type of system, but (a) they are expensive and (b) the complicated timers, valves and manifolds are a PITA to maintain long term. The one advantage of this system is that the complicated manifold allows you to place your plants on the same floor level as the reservoir.
But - if you have about 14 - 15" of vertical room to place your tent and a manifold on top of a small home built table, which sits over your reservoir (Rubbermaid or Home Depot's house brand) you can fashion a very simple, reliable and top-shelf functional system that IMHO performs the best of any flood and drain system on the market.
The strengths of this system are an enclosed net pot which prevents root exposure to light & discourages evaporation, and the ability to perform frequent flood cycles. The flood cycle frequency is important because as the pot floods, it pushes stale air out of the root zone. As the pot drains, it pulls fresh oxygen back into the root zone. This, coupled with an air stone in the reservoir, assures a super oxygenated root zone at all times.
The only moving part of this system is a fairly small hydro pump. I've settled on 190GPM as a great size. And ECO Pump brand, I've never had a failure. Assuming you don't move around individual components and disconnect a hose, the system is almost fail safe and practically impossible to create a leak or overflow. In about five years of using this system, I had one leak - a small capillary leak where I cracked my manifold bucket moving it around. The system is so reliable because the pump feeds a manifold bucket, with an overflow tube that sets flood level in the growing pot. The premise is like a water level - the level in the plant's net pot container physically cannot exceed the level in the manifold. Roots will never cause a clog in the Flo n' Gro net pot container because the feed into the container is under pressure, which washes all roots INTO the net pot. Drain is passive by gravity only. Might sound a bit complex, but take a look at this hand drawn schematic & it will make much more sense:

244bo89.jpg

You can purchase the 4 gallon Flo n' Gro container ($7) and 3 gallon net pot container ($7) from Sunlight Supply, pre-drilled with grommet installed for a 3/4" hydro fitting. They used to sell a 4-pack expansion for their Flo N Gro system at a discounted price from that, check and see.
I've used this system for many years and it's a reliable winner. Week long vacations are a reality with this at home doing all the work for you, and yield is stellar.
Here's a shot of what she looks like assembled:

s25sly.jpg

Shout if you need more info, I've probably got more data lying around somewhere.
I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment but please do expect a PM from me in the next few days. I plan to pick your brain! Lol. I have been kicking the idea of automating for a while. And like I said I have a few pumps and a bit of hydro know how. I planned to just buy a ebb and flow kit from flea bay and putting into a large cement mixer that will sit on top of a tote acting as res. I do like the individual bucket how yours is set up as opposed to shoving a bunch of small containers into a small flood table.

I would love something like an autopot but I'm a student so money is tight, im left to get crafty with diy and your explanation looks spot on to something I'd like to give a go.

@Free Flow, feel free to reach out. There's ways to accomplish what you need & parts that can be used for both systems, so very little throw-away either way you lean.

Back