EarthBox and dolomite lime?

Wait - saw the instructional video and think I understand. Use a mound of compost instead of the fertilizer trough/mound?
Yeah, pretty much what Mark said. I don't add all the compost at once in the regular.EB, but may do it on the Jr. Either way is fine, but I like to be a bit safe incase the compost wants to heat up at the beginning of the grow.
I may mound the compost pretty well with the Jrs to make it easier to add the liquid KNF nute to the top, without getting nutes washed into the rez.
You are going to do a short dry period in the rez, correct?

are going to do a short dry period in the rez, correct?
Yes. How often would you recommend? I was thinking let the res drain and then wait 12-24 hours before refill?

Yes. How often would you recommend? I was thinking let the res drain and then wait 12-24 hours before refill?
In the beginning. I'll only fill a gallon. When it drinks that in 48hrs, I'll add two gallons. The dry period is no more than 24hrs. If I wake up and find it dry, I'll add the water before I go to bed. If I find it dry later in the day, I'll ad water the first thing the next morning.
I don't add water to the rez in the very beginning. If you're direct planting, water the seedling like it was in a regular pot and when it's well established, add water to the rez. If transplanting, I fill the rez in 3 or 4 days. I think transplanting is better with almost no stall at all, maybe a day at the most. I've tried 8 and 14 days after sprout and 14 seemed to work better.
If transplanting, be sure to add mycos to the pot and plant. If powdered, sprinkle in the hole and on the plant ball. If soluble, spay the hole and let the transplant sit in the solution for a bit. You could use the bokashi if you don't have mycos.
I got in some soluble BigFoot mycos and will be using that in all plants. Probably not needed in the EBs with using bokashi, but since I'll have some for the other non-EB pots, I'll add it anyway.

In the beginning.
Very much appreciated @WildBill - I was re-reading your threads but couldn't find the answer to this last (hopefully) question:

How hot is your basic soil mix in the EB? I am planning on BaS 3.0 which is pretty hot as it is. With the compost mound/nutrient bank technique should I go with a lighter mix like Roots O? TIA.

Last edited:
Very much appreciated @WildBill - I was re-reading your threads but couldn't find the answer to this last (hopefully) question:

How hot is your basic soil mix in the EB? I am planning on BaS 3.0 which is pretty hot as it is. With the compost mound/nutrient bank technique should I go with a lighter mix like Roots O? TIA.
I start my seedlings in Roots Organic Original. Great for seedlings.
I would just cut the 3.0 with your Roots Organic.....if it's Original. Use that for your main media. If you direct plant, just put down some Roots and plant into that. That will be fine.

As long as you can get the seedling to the stage where it develops the two root system going where VPD only/mostly drives water uptake from the rez and not nute uptake from the media. The amount of nutes in your media and what you mound up, really doesn't matter...............with in reason. The girl will now use the feeder roots to draw on nutes as the girl needs it.
I've examined the mounded material during the grow. I seem to be able to gage the plant's nute needs by the progression of the roots into that mound. With the way I added the KNF nutes early in the grow, I would check and verify the need to add. I made a slurry of the compost and whatever liquid KNF I'm feeding. The concentrate levels are much higher than recommended, but is the proper and same amount of nutes. In Normal pots, this would be very harmful. It's just not the case with this method in EarthBoxes.
Keep in mind..................with in reason. I'm sure you can still add too much, but I do think this method is VERY forgiving.

This is what I've found on the last two EB grows. I hit the outdoor Asian Haze pretty hard with the KNF nutes and Craft Blend and got a pretty good size nute bank. She never had a nute problem.....she could have used more light.
I think the nute bank is a little bigger in the current grow and she has a lovely natural End Of Life fade. She's any day close and she's still drinking 3/4 gal a day and fattening the hard buds. Especially with my early stunting, I'm very happy and impressed with the results.,
I give credit to the genetics, EarthBox design and Jeremy giving me ideas to take, refine and run with it.

Be sure to tag me when your run starts!

Be sure to tag me when your run starts!
Will do and thank you. it will probably be late spring. I use only Roots O for the seedlings so I got that covered. Your roots into the compost technique is great! I will keep the BaS 3.0 and add the compost mound. Thanks again my friend.

I wasn't sure about Seed direc into 3.0.But did anyway.
Both did fine.

Here is the first week for both

10-12-21
Seed in water

10-13-21
Planted in soil
Light 25% at 18/6 cycle
Temps range 79.5-86
Humidity 63-65

10-15-21
Seed sprouted Day 1
Light 50% at 26cm

10-16 Day 2
Cooler weather and low humidity
79-84f 38-65%Rh

10-17 Day 3
Watered 500ml
74-86f 75-80%

10-18 Day 4
72-83f 75-80%

10-19 Day 5
80-83f 72-80%

10-20 Day 6
Watered 500ml
79-87f 65-80%

10-21 Day 7
80-90f 65-80%
Screenshot_20220110-163033_Keep Notes.jpg

Cdlc
10-15-21
Soaked seed

10-16 Planted in soil
Light 50% at 18/6 cycle
Temps range 80
Humidity 52

10-18 almost popped head out.
72-83f 75-80%

10-19 Day 1
80-83f 70-80%

10-20 Day 2
79-87f 65-80%

10-21 Day 3
Watered 500ml
80-90f 65-80%

10-22 Day 4
80-89f 62-80%

10-23 Day 5
82-89f 60-80%

10-24 Day 6
Watered 500ml
80-88f 63-80%

10-25 Day 7
82-89 60-80%
Screenshot_20220110-163139_Keep Notes.jpg

Just a little pointer from experience but next time I’d use the white and black covers! They are thicker and won’t tear as easy! Them red ones the elastic around the sides tends to start coming loose or did for me anyways! :d5:

Back