EarthBox and dolomite lime?

WildBill

TRYING TO GO "FULL TEETEE!"
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Why is dolomite required when growing canna in an Eartbox? Earthbox says it's for BER, blossom end rot. Canna doesn't get BER. Bud Rot is totally different than BER.
What does this growing method do to the calcium and magnesium in the media for Earthbox to say you need to add dolomite. Does this method promote acidification of the media?
I'm not one that blindly accepts info as the Gospel. I need to know the reasoning why certain methods are preferred or required.

Any ideas guys?

Sorry to revive an old thread but was wondering myself. Planning a los water-only regular Earthbox with BaS 3.0 cut with Roots Organic, top dress bokashi, add EWs. Add the occasional produce scraps under the cover for the EWs. Probably amend after each grow with EWC, compost, bokashi, and craft blend or similar. All this brazenly pilfered from @nizmoKush @Fermented_Fruitz @WildBill and others. I only steal from the best. :eyebrows:

The Bas 3.0 plus Roots O comes out for me about 6.5 on a slurry test. Don't think I need any additional buffering.

Sorry to revive an old thread but was wondering myself. Planning a los water-only regular Earthbox with BaS 3.0 cut with Roots Organic, top dress bokashi, add EWs. Add the occasional produce scraps under the cover for the EWs. Probably amend after each grow with EWC, compost, bokashi, and craft blend or similar. All this brazenly pilfered from @nizmoKush @Fermented_Fruitz @WildBill and others. I only steal from the best. :eyebrows:

The Bas 3.0 plus Roots O comes out for me about 6.5 on a slurry test. Don't think I need any additional buffering.
Don't worry about the pH and 6.5 is fine. I really don't think a slurry test is all that accurate.
Ya gonna mound in any compost?

Ya gonna mound in any compost?
Apologies @WildBill but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do you think that mix deficient is some way? I was planning on adding compost, ewc and Craft Blend into the top 2" of soil between runs. Also, this system will be down from May to October due to temp so I am going to run some legumes, (potentially) harvest the beans, and chop up the rest as a cover crop during that time. Just thinking about laying that on top of soil under cover and allowing decomp and as worm food.

Make sense?

Wait - saw the instructional video and think I understand. Use a mound of compost instead of the fertilizer trough/mound?

Ya u are supposed to fill it with soil and then mound up compost on top of said soil so it’s like 4-6” above top of the box! If u use good soil u def don’t need the fertilizer trough and the dolomite will cause issues with canna! Think that’s more for veggies that will be running a good while not a 90 day plant! Also using soil already buffered keeps u from needing the lime! Their lime recommendation is prob if u are just using base peat and not a fully built soil! :d5:

No problem buddy! If anyone buys earthboxes or accessories I can get a discount code for ya! I had my own personal code thru their site but someone shared it to where earthbox found my code on like 7 diff coupon websites all showing same code so they disabled it and put me a permanent discount on my profile and I can request codes for friends and family! :thumbsup:

Really appreciate it man. Think I'm going to finish the winter run in the garage through May with my pots and then go the golden way of the EB. Set it up in July or August, let it cook, keep it watered/fed & let the worms do their thing. Maybe a heat tolerant cover crop. It should be ready to rock by October.

Back