Early stage Mag deficiency?

@IceWater421

I haven't began nutrients yet. The soil is pre-fertilized. I only use humic acid, kelp, silica and cal/mag. Temperature low is around 70 and the high is 80 to 82. I run lights 24 hours on. No dark. I was planning to start my bloom fertilizer in 10 days. SuperNatural Bloom Terra. In the picture above I had just watered the plants. They were dry

:toke: GMAW'-- huh, this is weird indeed! Lime is in there, Ca-Mg going in too,... what soil is this, and which brand Ca-Mg and how much? Precharged stuff can be problematic for auto's sometimes,.. the plant looks great otherwise :shrug:... symptoms do look spot-on for Mg defc., despite all this! --**(N defc. tends to cause more even, all over color fade, though such early symptoms, it can't be ruled out yet; as for the lime, that depends on the type and grain size,.. if it's dolomite, and sand grain size or larger, it's too slow acting to be of much help for short-lived autos'; Ag or garden lime is best)... The soil pH needs to be checked, though if it were so badly off as to cause Mg lockout, there'd likely be other symptoms as well,... this will provide a vital clue as what's causing this,...
yes, epsoms salts (MgSO4) are great for fixing S and Mg defc.'s as a foliar, but you'll need a wetting agent to be most effective... this help it cover and stick more evenly, so more gets absorbed; use about 1/2 tsp/L epsoms for foliar,...

:toke: GMAW'-- huh, this is weird indeed! Lime is in there, Ca-Mg going in too,... what soil is this, and which brand Ca-Mg and how much? Precharged stuff can be problematic for auto's sometimes,.. the plant looks great otherwise :shrug:... symptoms do look spot-on for Mg defc., despite all this! --**(N defc. tends to cause more even, all over color fade, though such early symptoms, it can't be ruled out yet; as for the lime, that depends on the type and grain size,.. if it's dolomite, and sand grain size or larger, it's too slow acting to be of much help for short-lived autos'; Ag or garden lime is best)... The soil pH needs to be checked, though if it were so badly off as to cause Mg lockout, there'd likely be other symptoms as well,... this will provide a vital clue as what's causing this,...
yes, epsoms salts (MgSO4) are great for fixing S and Mg defc.'s as a foliar, but you'll need a wetting agent to be most effective... this help it cover and stick more evenly, so more gets absorbed; use about 1/2 tsp/L epsoms for foliar,...

@Waira

The soil is granngården planteringsjord. It's a basic all purpose potting soil.
I am using RAW cal/mag at 1/2 ML per 4 liters of water. 2 ml for 12 liters of water.

Should I flush with PH adjusted water and give a fresh dose of cal/mag or should I try epsom salt?

Does soil PH matter when applying a foliar application?

My experience with flushing soil is that it normally causes other problems.

Thanks for the help!

thans for the diagnose @Waira i think im having the same problem...(i cant upload the pics unfortunetely)..ill try with epsom salt too and give you feedback...
how many times should we spray it?!
thanks guys :)

@GMAW hope you dont mind me asking here for help too :)

EDIT: here are some pics hope it can help
IMAG5298.jpg IMAG5299.jpg IMAG5300.jpg IMAG5301.jpg

Last edited:
@djibra420

No problem! Glad you stopped by. The picture are spot on for magnesium deficiency. Your plants have progressed a bit further than mine.

Thanks for the hospitality mate. ;)
I've checked my soil ph and its 6.4..soil is biobizz light mix and feed by biobizz chart (17days old plant)

:smoking:GMAW-- the soil seems OK, if it was too hot the plant would have shown it right away,... but auto's are nute' sensitive as a general rule, and depending on what's in the soil for additives, it can be touchy to start feeding a proper balanced fertilizer and avoid burning, etc.,... it never hurts to cut rich soils with something like a seedling mix or a known mild soil, if things are in question- :thumbsup:
Agreed, flushing is a last resort thing I generally recommend only for badly off-pH problems, or obvious cases of overfertilization with a plant burning alive! :doh: done right, it's OK as long as it's done fast and the soil is pretty free draining,...
On that RAW Ca-Mg, I thought the plant look rather deep green! be very careful with RAW.... I looked it up, and it's 9-0-0, very high N for a supplement! Even at the low dosage inputs, it may not be a good choice especially during bloom, and depending on what you other nute's and supplements have in them. I'm sure it's a fine product, but if there's a need to add more to meet plant demands, the extra N it carries should be taken into careful consideration,... An alternate Ca-Mg might be good to have around, something with little to no N in it, carbonate based... Meantime some epsoms will be fine, since this is looking to be a Mg defc.,... no need to pH the solution for foliar, and for soil you can use 1tsp/L for a few rounds of treatment of defc. only, not as a steady supplement,...
djibra-- typically, foliar spray 2-3 times a day apart, with a clear water rinse on the leaves in between,... again, using a wetting agent is critical to proper foliar treatments! Otherwise, stuff just beads up and rolls off, resulting in poor absorption... more surface area covered = more absorbed!

Both of you have early, mild symptoms, so go easy on treatments, more is NOT better! Mg defc. can correct in the leaves, so watch carefully for color to improve,...

Thanks for the reply @Waira :toke: you really give excellent explanation..please say few more things: since I don't have a wetting agent should I dilute 1tbsp/l of epsom salt and water the soil? And should I mix other nutrients or just water and epsom salt?
And should I/we start immediately the treatment or wait a few days?

:thanks:

I went and checked my plants. The condition worsened. I watered each plant with 2 liters of water and 1 ML of RAW cal/mag. Then I gave 1/2 liter of water and bio bizz bio bloom to each plant. Hope my problem is fixed.

@GMAW how yo doing now mate? I'm better I think..sprayed once and the deficiency stoped..

Back