Dried up fan leaves during flowering-Remove?

you could use this
Amazon product

Thanks. I thought about using water conditioner as I used to use it when I had aquariums but I wasn't sure if it would remove other micronutrients in the water or alter anything else in a strange way for the plants.

Thanks. I thought about using water conditioner as I used to use it when I had aquariums but I wasn't sure if it would remove other micronutrients in the water or alter anything else in a strange way for the plants.
its plant safe

Thanks for the reply. Because Ocean Forest soil is so hot the only thing I have added was top dressed with Dr Earth flower girl around week 5 and the last few weeks I have added Fox Farm Big Bloom once per week. They got bad nute burn from the beginning I believe due to the medium being so hot. Next run I am mixing it with Happy Frog and more Perlite since the seedlings didn't like it al all. Other than that it has just been PH'd water. With that said being my 1st grow I thought I did lots of reading but I know I made a lot of mistakes along the way during the 1st 1/2 of the grow but have been learning a lot.
I'm gonna say it isn't the FFOF. I've used it the last 3 grows planting directly into it with zero issues. The food is all used up by week 5 when you first fed, so im thinking that is part of the problem. I did the same im my first grow. Come to think of it i had similar leaf issues but still had a good harvest, as you look you will. Also you don't need to ph your water in soil.

you could use this
Amazon product

No Do Not Use that. It pulls metal ions out for the fish. Your plants need the metals.

Chlorine will dissipate rapidly in an open bucket. The small amount in municipal water is only a problem in hydroponics. Just leave it overnight.

Hey all,

I have an Autoflower that is getting very close to being finished tomorrow is day 70 and she has been chunking up nicely. I could probably cut it down now but I am advising what many has said that if you think it's ready to wait another week or 2. My question is that there are a lot of dead fan leaves coming out of the top colas. When I say dead I don't mean yellowing they are brown and crumble into pieces when you touch them. I know they say not to remove leaves during flowering but these are very brittle and I figured it would be better to remove them since they crumble apart they are of no use to the plant. I can't imagine it stressing the plant out if they are falling apart at the touch but IDK. There are still yellow and green fan leaves all over the bottom 1/2 which I planned on leaving until I chop her down. So what do you all think, remove them or leave them.

Thanks and ppp.
They are very brittle because the plant has been feeding off of the leaves for weeks, instead of feeding off of the soil (due to nutrient lock out).. It will continue to so until you chop the plant. I wouldn't remove them at this point. Just let them fall off. I'm sure they are the only source of nutrients at this point so might as well let the plant use every last bit of what the leaves have let. From what I read, the issue was most likely caused by the Dr earth top dress.. That's some tricky stuff if you don't have a grasp on how nutrients work.. and the instructions do not have auto flower cannabis in mind, which ends up being way too much for an auto flower.

The thing about deficient leaves/plants is that the quality of the bud will be severely effected. It will not taste, smell, smoke any where close to how it should/could. Same goes for the trim from sick plants.. It doesn't wash/make hash nearly as well as it could. Next time you'll want to address those leaf issues as soon as they start showing up. You'll definitely get to harvest.. Next run will be better Im sure!

Last edited:
No Do Not Use that. It pulls metal ions out for the fish. Your plants need the metals.

Chlorine will dissipate rapidly in an open bucket. The small amount in municipal water is only a problem in hydroponics. Just leave it overnight.
Ok that's what I was wondering. Would a Brita faucet filter work or does it pull out needed metals as well? If I have to I can get a container for water for overnight but I would need about a 15 gallon one for all the plants.

Ok that's what I was wondering. Would a Brita faucet filter work or does it pull out needed metals as well? If I have to I can get a container for water for overnight but I would need about a 15 gallon one for all the plants.
You are watering 15 gallons a day:shrug:3 - 5 gallon buckets then. Yes a simple carbon block filter will remove chlorine.

They are very brittle because the plant has been feeding off of the leaves for weeks, instead of feeding off of the soil (due to nutrient lock out).. It will continue to so until you chop the plant. I wouldn't remove them at this point. Just let them fall off. I'm sure they are the only source of nutrients at this point so might as well let the plant use every last bit of what the leaves have let. From what I read, the issue was most likely caused by the Dr earth top dress.. That's some tricky stuff if you don't have a grasp on how nutrients work.. and the instructions do not have auto flower cannabis in mind, which ends up being way too much for an auto flower.

The thing about deficient leaves/plants is that the quality of the bud will be severely effected. I will not taste, smell, smoke as well as it should/could. Same goes for the trim from sick plants.. It doesn't wash/make hash nearly as well as it could. Next time you'll want to address those issues as soon as they start. You'll definitely get to harvest.. Next run will be better Im sure!
Thanks Proph. There is still quite a bit of green leaves on the lower half of most plants. The one is worse than the others and one really has no fan leaves left but he was a kind of a lets grow it and see what happens since there was space. It had weird white spots in the leaves from start to finish that never went away even on new growth but was the only plant with those issues. I hope next run is better, I have already learned a lot from trial and error this round lol.

Deke I thought I still had to PH for soil no? My tap comes out over 8 but it would sure be great if I didn't have to mess with it. Thought for soil it was PH of 6-7 for the water?

You are watering 15 gallons a day:shrug:3 - 5 gallon buckets then. Yes a simple carbon block filter will remove chlorine.
No I am not watering that much per day now lol sorry I should have worded better. They are drinking just under a gallon when they are dry but I do the lift a weight method. I have to water once every 2-3 days. Next run I will have 12 plants going hopefully so that is where the extra gallons came in.

I'm gonna say it isn't the FFOF. I've used it the last 3 grows planting directly into it with zero issues. The food is all used up by week 5 when you first fed, so im thinking that is part of the problem. I did the same im my first grow. Come to think of it i had similar leaf issues but still had a good harvest, as you look you will. Also you don't need to ph your water in soil.
Well perhaps you do not need to PH your water but 8.2 PH needs to be dropped to 6.5 for soil!

Back