20oz Heavy cream, 1 cup half n half, ½c 1% milk, 1.5 cupz chicken stock, a lot of good brick parm, 4oz neufchatel, 5 strips of crispy bacon chopped,a 3 dollar sun-dried tomato bag, 2 bags of fresh spinach, lots of black pepper, a bit of crushed red, 20 whole very nice cloves of fresh garlic, and about 8oz of beer, and a little cornstarch and water slurry
Damn……well, I’m stealing this recipe, that’s all there is to it. Fine job sir, this sounds fanfuckingtastic!
made some fresh brussels...this time I did an Asian style shaved with ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, Teriyaki, a splash of Worcestershire and some crushed red.
This too…..also sounds great!

love playing with my cast iron and smoking the house out. Smoke alarm?? You bet!! It's down the hall and in the back bedroom even.
I set mine off a lot too. Especially cooking shicken wings or steak. I eventually started covering it with plastic wrap…just don’t leave it on when you go to sleep….might be the last thing you do.

Made a trip to the big city today to get a few things from the restaurant supply store…..love that place. Super stoked about the carbon steel pan….now I can get rid of the stupid non stick pan I keep having to replace every year.
0844BE8D-9199-4863-A846-1B49C2BD76ED.jpeg

That's a sexy piece of steel. I still have a couple non-stick pans...a couple Teflon and a couple hard anodized.

The one and only pan I would buy as 'non-stick' is another Calphalon hard anodized aluminum two burner griddle. I am honestly due for a new one, but I aquired a Teflon knock off version for free otherwise I would have probably scored a new one by now. I absolutely love that pan. You do gotta treat em respectfully...nothing but silicone or plastic utensils, let it cool down to completely before you even pick it up, and don't ever overheat it. They have a tendency to warp which is super annoying as they rock and lose their level so shit runs. I have tossed 4 or so of the $15-20 Teflon variants in the past couple decades. I got a legit 6 years out of my Calphalon and it's still very usable....it's just a bit sticky and a smidge wobbly.

I have had no trouble keeping my raw cast iron nice and seasoned. I have been following Adam Ragusea's advice and putting it on the stove for a minute to ensure its thoroughly dry before being put away. Has cut down on the sticky factor of oiling it after use. No soap, just a steel scrubbie is all that is needed. And I don't do acid things with it. Actually, I only do high heat sizzle on raw cast iron. I got my enabled iron for long cooks and acidy stuff.

Pans. Not just for smacking heads.
Lids. More than bad cymbals.

That's a sexy piece of steel. I still have a couple non-stick pans...a couple Teflon and a couple hard anodized.

The one and only pan I would buy as 'non-stick' is another Calphalon hard anodized aluminum two burner griddle. I am honestly due for a new one, but I aquired a Teflon knock off version for free otherwise I would have probably scored a new one by now. I absolutely love that pan. You do gotta treat em respectfully...nothing but silicone or plastic utensils, let it cool down to completely before you even pick it up, and don't ever overheat it. They have a tendency to warp which is super annoying as they rock and lose their level so shit runs. I have tossed 4 or so of the $15-20 Teflon variants in the past couple decades. I got a legit 6 years out of my Calphalon and it's still very usable....it's just a bit sticky and a smidge wobbly.

I have had no trouble keeping my raw cast iron nice and seasoned. I have been following Adam Ragusea's advice and putting it on the stove for a minute to ensure its thoroughly dry before being put away. Has cut down on the sticky factor of oiling it after use. No soap, just a steel scrubbie is all that is needed. And I don't do acid things with it. Actually, I only do high heat sizzle on raw cast iron. I got my enabled iron for long cooks and acidy stuff.

Pans. Not just for smacking heads.
Lids. More than bad cymbals.
I’m trying to move away from Teflon and other non stick completely. I have several cast iron pans and griddle that see regular use,each getting reseasoned after each use. Like you, no soap….but I use salt and a dedicated sponge to take anything off. Much more than that ruins the season in my opinion. This carbon pan is cooling from getting seasoned….these are great sauté pans….all the beauty of a cast iron, but light so you can sauté with it (toss). Plus they’re great for searing off meats. And make a decent wok as long as you’re making one dish at a time…..and cheap. Very cheap. Then again everything is cheap at restaurant supply stores.

Made this soup the other day, and been munching on it for a few days. I had some leftover smoked pork and leftover salsa verde I made and needed to use….so I made soup. I used almost a quart of salsa verde (tomatillos, poblanos, jalapeños, onion and cilantro) and three cups chicken stock….added the pork, white onion, carrots, hominy and roasted poblano strips….simmered for a few hours. Smokey, spicy, meaty goodness.
2511898A-8FF2-417E-BF36-62BA0CE168AB.jpeg

Served topped with iceberg, grated carrot, daikon radish, crema, cotija, and tajin
44E8213E-F423-46CD-ADBD-33532EC8CC5D.jpeg

with a side of jalapeño cheddar bread
32C9E75B-DA5B-4D42-9DD7-B1F9B849DE43.jpeg

Way to use up some ingredients..it looks tasty. I love all those items. Nice touch with the daikon. I have two things of Tajin in the cupboard. I saw it one day about 8 or 10 years ago and I tried it. I am a bit of a kitchen things collector. I can't bring myself to get rid of kitchen stuff as long as it's functioning. That's why I have a secondary and thirdary storage area. I used to make the goodwill rounds looking for kitchen stuff. I got a little carried away with saute pans and stainless bowls. I've aquired a patchwork set of 13 stainless mixing bowls that completely nest. Those are in the cupboard because they don't take up any room.

My collection of Revereware non magnetic stainless saute pans doesn't go in the pan drawer....even though they nest too. I found 2 more of the big ones after I took that pic and I also got a matching sauce pan.

PXL_20210627_040842617.jpg

PXL_20210623_045204307.jpg

Good Morfnoevight fellow gourmets! I am back from the coast. I do not take pictures of food in restaurants as I think it is rude. We were based in Cambria, CA and most of our meals were in the local establishments. It is a big relief to find that most if not all restaurants offer gluten free options. The best meal was at Robins followed by Linn's

The Wierdo Waffle at the Hidden Kitchen in Cayucos was very good but they were not seating indoors yet due to Covid and the cold sea breeze cooled the food and my coffee much to fast. Still worth a stop.

I took quite a bit of GF food with us just in case and the sliced pork loin roast I did in the sous vide was a real winner. I made very good sandwiches and a simple late night stack right out of the bag.

I need to win the lottery so we can buy a place over there :haha:.

Back