Lighting DLI and PPFD

Reaction score
In the past few years ppfd has entered into the mainstream as a term that all growers should be familiar with. There's tons of write ups online about optimal ppfd levels, so I'll spare you all with repeating it here. More recently, and with less attention, the topic of DLI has been discussed in a few places. The idea behind dli in layman's terms is essentially that a plant can only take in so much light in any given period of time. We know there is such a thing as too much and too little light as measured by intensity using a par meter. Another part of the equation factors in dli in conjunction with par however.

The idea of what is optimal ppfd in a given space in generally discussed as it pertains to a 12/12 photo grow. As the math scales proportionately, we can essentially cut our ppfd in half as used in a 24/0 auto grow. For example, it would appear then that 500 watts on a 24/0 cycle is exactly equivalent to 1000 watts on a 12/12 cycle, and will produce the same results.

There's little talk on this forum on this topic, so I'd urge everyone who's unfamiliar to start poking around the web. I read some great posts from people I trust on other forums, and I can't seem to find them now but will update with links as soon as I do. I'd also like to hear your th
oughts and if you have any experience playing with light levels in auto grows.

Great topic, and discussion. I've read some about each, not qualified to respond, with cold hard facts, but the science is there. It's hard to argue with, yet a lot of people still run lights 24/0. Which is great, if it works, but science is science.

Back